Status: Active

Road Trip

Atlantic City beach, 7:48am, June 3rd

I was aware I was lay on sand, face down. I opened my eyes, bright lights blinding me, the sound of tourists flooding back into the city filled my ears, and thinking back to last night, I remembered I should have company.

I sat up, rubbing my eyes adjusting them to the hot morning sun, checking my surroundings for my company that seemed to be non-existent…

Jasmine’s gone.

I panicked, sand sliding off my bare, bone-dry body. I looked to my right, seeing the huge palm tree from last night, large, lush and defiant, swaying in the light morning breeze. Tied up around the bottom I spotted Jasmine’s white sash she so sexily discarded last night. Was she in that much of a hurry as to forget it? I’m sure it was a vital part of holding her dress up…I leaned over, grabbing it, running the soft silk through my fingers. I felt a pang of sadness, wishing she were here to share the morning after with me.

I stood, deciding that I should find Max somehow, wanting to know how him and Holly got on last night. As I scrambled off the beach, I looked over to The Paradise room, memories of last night flooding right back to me as I stared at it’s closed doors. I pulled my t-shirt on, brushing the sand off the front as I felt a twinge at the bottom of my stomach, wondering where Jasmine had disappeared to. I remembered that Max and I parked the car by the main pier, which should be just down here…

I spotted the car, in it’s messy defiance, bringing a smile to my face. I unlocked the hood, allowing me access to the cooler, which was still intact and indeed, cold…

I reached into it, pulling out my bag of small sandwiches and a can of coke to quench my parched mouth, and sitting in the front seat of the car, taking in my surroundings. Just when I spotted a yellow note under the window wiper…

Leaning over the window, I pulled the note from under the wiper, seeing Max’s scrawny, barely legible hand writing covering it.

Craig
We’re staying at the hotel across from the car
We being Holly and I ;)
Meet us at 8 for breakfast…just give yer name in to the reception
Max :)


I smiled at the note, he must have slept with Holly, or he wouldn’t have put that winking face. I’m glad he’s found someone. I look at my watch, to see that it’s just in time for Breakfast.

Fantastic, bacon and eggs here I come.

----------

Being lead into the dining hall of a small, quaint, old looking hotel on the beach front, which smelled strangely of old people, was an big contrast to the night before, the booming music, the flashing lights, the amount of young people…The only young people in the room were Me, Max and Holly…

“CRAIG!!!!!” I heard an all-too familiar voice from across the room, startling half of the oldies in the dining hall. I smiled, and my escorter guy from the reception left me to approach Max, who was indeed sat with Holly drinking fresh orange juice.

“Hey Max,” I hugged him, patting him on the back and turning to smile politely at Holly. I took my seat by Max, opening my can of coke discreetly, aware I wasn’t supposed to be drinking anything remotely youthful in here.

I look up to see Holly staring at me, looking confused

“Where’s Jazz?” She asks, and suddenly looks incredibly worried. I stare down at my coke can I’ve wedged between my legs for maximum subtlety.

“I woke and she was gone,” I simply state, glancing up to catch Max’s concerned eyes.

“Tell us what happened,” Max said, finishing his bacon roll with a last, big bite. I sigh, and start.

“Well we…err, you know, we fucked on the beach,” I caught Holly wincing at the corner of my eye. I frowned, wondering if she disapproved or something. I caught her eye, and shifted uncomfortably as I felt Max staring at me.

“Oh fuck, tell me you used a condom?” Max exclaimed, slamming his fork on the table winning startled looks from the oldies. I couldn’t help but giggle at the disgusted looks, but shook my weary head.

“Yeah, don’t worry.” I assured him, taking a sneaky chug of my coke. “Anyway, I sort of fell asleep, and I woke up like 10 minutes ago to find she was gone. She left this,” I took out the silky sash from my pocket to present to the table, and I looked at Holly who seemed annoyed.

“Not again,” She sighed, leaning back in her chair, covering her face with her hands. I exchanged glances with Max, who now looked about as worried as me.

“Explain?” I edged nervously. She took her seat again, taking a chug of her juice before looking me in the eyes. I had a really bad feeling about this.

“Look, Craig, you seem like a good guy, so I’m gonna be honest with you,” She started, giving me a small smile. I traced the frames of her glasses with my eyes, trying to avoid them. It was now obvious she had something awful to tell me. “Jasmine…has a boyfriend.” She winced. I stopped breathing for a couple of seconds, processing the information. My jaw dropped.

“Craig I’m sorry…It might have looked like I was…well, sort of supporting her last night. You see, she get’s off with some random guy she finds in a club if her and her boyfriend, Julian, have had a fall out…the poor guy, he tries his hardest for her but she’s so hard to please. I should know; I’m her best friend,” Her eyes glazed over with tears. She obviously doesn’t like what her friend does. “I just want her to be happy with Julian, he’s such a lovely guy…There’s nothing I can do about her. She’s such a…oh I don’t know,” She rested her head carefully on the table, clearly distressed.

My stomach felt like it wasn’t even there anymore. I felt empty. I felt stupid. I let myself like this…slut of a girl. I was stupid for thinking anyone that beautiful would even consider someone life me. She seemed so genuine…the questions rattled, the previous night played back 10 times faster in my mind. I suddenly felt lost.

“It’s not your fault,” Max said, as if reading my thoughts. I’d been staring at my coke can between my legs for a minute or so now. Something bad had happened already and we’re only 3 days into our Road trip. I looked up, seeing 2 sympathetic faces.

“You have no idea how many guys I’ve had to say that to. I try not to get involved, really. If I’m being honest, I have been looking for someone for a while…” She turned to shyly smile at Max. I waited for the jealousy to hit, but it didn’t My best friend was happy. “And she’s supported me but now, she’s done this to such a nice guy like you I don’t know what to do. All you guys wanna do is have fun this summer…and she’s ruined it before it barely started.”

She leaned over to Max, placing her head on his shoulder and he carefully caressed her hair as she exhaled. I just watched them, thinking that you would never have guessed they only met last night. I finished off my coke, discarding the can under the table in the same fashion Jasmine discarded me.

---4pm, Bar Ochre, Atlantic City, June 3rd---

Crying over coffees in a downtown bar had never been so interesting.

I didn’t literally cry, but I felt a little bit unloved and used. Max, Holly and I spent the afternoon on the pier, then Holly took us to this bar, Bar Ochre, which was her favourite bar in the city. The best coffee in Atlantic City she says. I beg to differ, but Max has been following her around like a lost puppy all day, hanging off her every word. Whereas I have had a lot of time to think, while absent-mindedly following Max and Holly around.

Bar Ochre was tucked away downtown, no sea air blowing through the windows, the walls were panelled with wood and the bar stools were dressed with orange leather. Orange lights burned down on the bar and the room, creating a relaxing atmosphere about the place.

“You alright, Craig?” Max asked, sliding his bottle of beer between his hands while Holly sipped her dainty cup of coffee.

“Yeah, I’m good,” I smiled, wiping the cream off the rim of my cup, leaning my head in one of my hands. “I’m gonna go for a piss,” I announced, giving Max perfect opportunity to kiss Holly, which I knew he’d been desperate to do all day. I jumped down from my stool, my skate shoes hitting the wood floor with a thud as I began my search for the little boys room…

And that’s when I saw her.

My heart leapt as Jasmine graced the room, frantically scanning the room, her golden hair wavering as she turned her head. Her presence commanded attention, as she graced the bar, and I felt more attracted to her than I did last night, even though she wasn’t what she seemed. And I hated it.

“Craig! Oh god Craig I found you,” She ran over, her wedges thumping on the floor. She wore white skinnies this time, with a blue flowing top. She had been home then, evidently. I turned away, not looking at her.

“Craig! Stop, I really like you, but I had to go home…” She wavered, and I turned around, solemn.

“Jasmine, stop it, Holly told me everything and I don’t want anything to do with you,”

“She did what?” She breathed, looking over at Holly who sat kissing Max at our table

“Just get out, Jasmine. Go back to Julian.” I sniggered, walking into the toilets behind me, leaving Jasmine behind. I would stay in here all night, if I had to.
♠ ♠ ♠
So sorry about the wait. Oh my god, Writer's block has been awful with this chapter.
+ my exams have started.

Comments? in bulk, perhaps? Thanks

This one is for Holly; Raegan Ivory, for being there for me lately, I've had a lot of problems with my relationship lately and she's been amazing. So thank you

xxxxx <3