Jellybeans

Caramel

“So, from there… I go to Switzerland, and then it’s Austria, and then back to England for a few days, and then I come home.” The blonde explained for the umpteenth time to another person. Rumors of her trip to Europe had spread around the school, and overzealous teenage girls had gapped over the idea of taking a month-long trip across Europe.
She smiled, scratching the back of her head at the obviously jealous woman in front of her.
“Ugh, lucky. I wish my parents would pay for that!” She said.
“Y-yeah…” Kayleigh responded awkwardly, not entirely sure how to continue this conversation. Luckily, the girl ran off in another direction, waving to the blonde as she went to meet up with her other navy robe-clad friends.
They stood, all extremely happy to finally be finished with the ceremony that took four hours. Too many people making speeches, she let out a long sigh.
Fingering the navy cap in her hands, she turned it over a few times, studying the shiny material with subtle interest. She was waiting for Violet.
Her girlfriend.
Kayleigh’s heart jumped at the thought – she had spent most of her life with this girl, and now, rather abruptly, their relationship had turned completely.
For the better, mind you, but it was still a bit offsetting.
She held the graduation cap to her chest, glancing around the room subtly. She spotted the brunette near the stage. She was taking a picture with some people she had been in a club with. Kayleigh smiled a bit as Violet laughed at something one of the guys said to her. Her laugh rang out through the room, somehow muting the rest of the noise.
Her hazel eyes flickered, watching as the room slowed down. Flashes went off, parents and students cried together, out of relief, out of regret.
Violet grinned, turning her head and suddenly catching the hazel eyes in mid-stare.
Kayleigh’s eyes flicked away from the girls stare, glancing out the window to where people were dispersing to their cars, where they would probably either return to their houses, go out to eat, get ready for after parties.
Kayleigh glanced up when she felt someone move next to her. Violet leaned against the wall beside her, staring out the same window idly.
She nodded slowly for a moment, before grinning at the blonde. “Hey, you wanna get out of here?”
She stared at the brunette for a moment – she figured she’d want to stick around, be with the crowd, more people.
“Erm, sure…” She muttered.
Violet hitched her hobo bag further onto her shoulder – the material the graduation robes were made from caused it to slide back down her arm every few moments.
Grasping the blonde’s hand, she led the girl out the front door of the school auditorium. A ghost of a whisper passed over those lingering outside – the rumors were quick, especially in high school.
The news of their kiss had spread around the school by the end of that day. She had noticed, even today, people glancing at her oddly – debating, was it true?
She tilted her head down, a blush passing over her face.
“Hey, Violet!” A call behind them from a male voice.
The brunette turned, Kayleigh stopping at her side. Their hands still entwined, the blonde’s face avoiding the looks of their fellow graduates.
“Is it true, you’re a dyke?” He asked. The blonde didn’t turn to see, but the guy was smiling in a joking way, one of Violet’s old friends from middle school.
The shorter girl felt a jolt go through her companion, her hand tightening around the brunette’s.
What she didn’t truly expect, was when her girlfriend turned and lifted her face gently. Her hazel eyes blinked, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion.
“Congratulations,” Violet whispered, meeting their lips. Subconsciously, the blonde tilted her chin up.
The guy laughed mirthfully at his friend’s antics.
The brunette’s bag slipped over her shoulder, her taking no mind as her possessions spilled out onto the concrete path they were standing upon.
Her cell phone, a pencil of eyeliner, and a bag of jellybeans splayed open upon the ground. Colourful, bean-shaped candy scattered at their feet.
Violet held out her left hand, poising her middle finger in the general direction of the boy in an offending gesture. He grinned at the girls, who obviously weren’t even paying attention anymore.
Kayleigh once asked, while watching a romance movie with Violet, sometime in their sophomore year, why people close their eyes when they kiss.
At that time, neither of them could really find a true answer for said question.
But in that moment, over two years later, she discovered why people choose to close their eyes during a kiss.
When removing one of the vital senses… one seems to rely on touch far more than any other sense. So the feeling of their lips connecting, the hands brushing, the faint thudding of heartbeats in their ears…
Became so much more than what it would have been, if they simply left their eyes open.
♠ ♠ ♠
Done, done, doneee! I haz finished! Last chapter! WOO!

Thank you all for the support, it was lovely writing this, I enjoyed it very much. I still enjoy the feedback, and if you could pass this onto anyone who might be interested in it, that'd be awesome! Only if you wish though.

Thank you so much!!

For my star, my abusive best friend, my cat, my frog, and of course, the friend that laughed at me during English class when I was unconscious and dreaming of sheep. Thanks for keeping me going guys.