Jellybeans

Green Apple

“What time is it?”
The smaller girl rolled over on her loft bed, glancing down at her desk where the alarm clock cast shadows upon the dark walls of her room. She barely made out the shape of her friend on the futon.
“Erm, around 2.”
“Still that early, eh?” She heard a rustling noise, and soon the edge of her mattress was weighted down. “Scootch.” She heard, startling her out of submission.
The girl rolled closer to the wall, pushing her arm against the cool plaster and shivering as the warm body settled beside her.
“You ‘kay?”
She nodded vigorously, pulling the blanket up to her nose.
Violet chuckled lazily, draping her arm over her face and falling silent for a few minutes. Kayleigh wondered aimlessly if she had fallen asleep.
She was startled when Violet’s voice pierced the silence; “You don’t really like Jared, do you?”
She was very, very silent. “Maybe if I pretend I’m asleep, she won’t make me answer…”
“Kay, I know you’re awake.”
“Dammit.” “Uhm… no, I d-do like him!”
The brunette hummed momentarily, “No, you don’t.” She decided. “I know you, you really just don’t… give him that look, ya know?”
“I have a look?” She squeaked, her heartbeat rising. If she had any look, it was the one she actually gave Violet. And if Violet knew this look, she recognized her feelings… towards… her…
“Yeah, duh. Everyone has a look. That kind of lovey-dovey look you get when you’re around the one you have a crush on.”
Kay felt as if her heart was about to split out of her chest like one of the baby aliens in AVP.
“R-really? That’s odd.” She muttered, trying to strangle herself with the blanket.
“Yeah, oddly enough, I’ve never really seen you give it to anyone.” Kayleigh froze, “Do you actually like a guy?”
The room fell into a very uncomfortable silence.
In the tiniest voice she could muster, Kayleigh said, “N-no… not a guy…”
“Not one?”
She shook her head.
“…Why’s that?”
If there was any time in the entire history of her existence that Kayleigh actually felt the need to shoot herself – it was then.
“I-I dunno.” She mumbled incoherently underneath the blanket.
The air became fatally thick, but within a flash, the blanket was on the floor of the room; and Violet was pinning the trembling blonde to the mattress.
“You,” She began slowly, her eyes boring into the slightly fogged vision of Kayleigh, “Need to start telling me the truth. Is there any reason you don’t like a guy?”
She shivered at the tone of her friend’s voice. Obviously, she had gotten fed up with all the lies she had told the past year or so. She nodded.
“Okay, good start. And can you elaborate as to what this reason is?”
Silence.
“I’m going to take a wild guess.” That made the shorter girl’s eyes widen exponentially.
“Violet.” She squeaked suddenly.
The taller girl paused, studying her friend. Looking her up and down. She was curled around herself, shaking; her eyes were brimmed with tears.
“Shit,” She said, rolling over to her side. She hopped down from the loft, landing on the futon with a tired ‘uff’. Tossing the blanket up on her oldest companion, she whispered, “I’m sorry, Kay.”
Half an hour later, as they were both drifting off in the heavy silence, Kayleigh whispered back, “It’s okay. Because it’s you. So I don’t mind.”
Violet wondered aimlessly what that was supposed to mean, but fell into a dreamless sleep before she had time to ponder the fact any further.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was definitely a filler chapter. Sorry it’s taken me a spell to update, I had a lot to do this week with classes and such. But yeah, I’ll probably start the next MORE INTERESTING chapter now, and post it within the next few days.

I like frogs.