Leaving My Fingerprints

Double Team

“Oh you know,” I tried to laugh. Nick just stared at me, confused. “That thing about the thing and—”

“Oh my God, it’s a girl thing,” Demi said, pretending to be impatient. I could tell she wanted Nick to leave so she could ask me more questions. For the moment, I was glad Nick was here, even if I was now stumped. “She can’t tell you about her freaking period, okay Nick?”

I smiled sheepishly. Nick just gaped between me and Demi. “Okay, well then, um, I’m going to go back, um, over there,” he said, looking back to where Emma was standing, staring at them as she waited for Nick.

“Wait,” I said quickly as Demi rounded on me. Nick turned around and looked at me questioningly as Demi groaned. “I um, did you need something?”

“I just came over cause you guys looked a little freaked,” he said. “I wanted to make sure everything was okay.”

I smiled. Nick was too sweet. He really was the perfect best friend. “Everything’s fine,” I assured him.

“Okay. Maxinator,” he hugged me tightly.

I sighed as he walked away. Demi was smiling at me sympathetically. “You should tell him,” she said.

“Right, let me get on that one,” I rolled my eyes.

“I agree,” Joe said out of nowhere. We both turned to look at him. “I don’t care what you guys say, this is my house, my pool, my party, and,” he said, putting his arm around me as he pulled me closer to him. “My friend. So get your own Demi. I’m staying right here.”

We both rolled our eyes. “You’re too funny,” she said sarcastically.

“So anyway,” Joe said. “You should tell Nick, Maxie.”

“Tell Nick what?” I asked, getting scared. Did he know? How did he? He must have heard us. My stomach started churning. My whole charade was over. Demi wouldn’t tell. She understood why I had had tell Nick myself. Joe would tell him because he was his brother.

“Oh come on, it’s kind of obvious,” Joe rolled his eyes.

It was? Maybe Nick did know then. But then why hadn’t he said anything? “No it’s not,” I said.

“Oh come on, we all know you love Nick,” Joe rolled his eyes.

“Psh, I do not,” I said, slightly relieved. He didn’t know my true secret. I put my hands on my hips and glared at him, pretending to be agitated.

“You do too,” Joe smirked, imitating my movement. “Just admit it.”

“You admit it,” I snapped back at him.

“I have admitted it,” he said confused. “You love him.”

“No I don’t,” I said. “And I wasn’t talking about admitting that.”

“Then what?” Joe smirked. “Admit my intimate feelings for Bangs over here?” He pointed at Demi with his thumb. “You’re out of luck Maxie. The only one in love around here is you.”

“Bangs?” Demi mouthed. She looked at both of us. “You guys are weird.”

“No you’re weird,” Joe said to her.

“Yeah you are,” I added.

“Oh no,” Nick said, coming over. I noticed he had his arm linked lightly with Emma’s. I tried not to let the tears appear in my eyes as my heart slowly broke. This was better, I told myself. Better he find love somewhere before I was gone. Better to know he’d be happy, maybe happy enough to forgive me for not telling him I was dying sooner. I looked away to see Joe smirking at me. I narrowed my eyes at him. If he gave me away, I’d kill him. “Are they double teaming again?”

“Psh no,” Joe and I said at the same time, rolling our eyes.

Nick laughed. “Every time Max and I got into a fight, Joe would side with her and they’d gang up on me. It was never fair,” he explained to Demi and Emma, though his eyes were on Emma’s face most of the time. Better, a lot better, I lot myself.

“You’re just mad because you always lost,” I smirked at him.

Joe laughed. “And cause Maxie stole your socks everyday.”

“Joe,” I shushed him, stomping on his foot.

Nick gasped. “That was you?”

“What, psh me?” I said, trying to play dumb. “No, not me. It was Joe.”

“Na ah,” Joe said.

“Yah ha,” I said.

“Na—“ Joe started.

“Ah, we get it,” Demi rolled her eyes. “Now can we get on with what I was saying?”

“When did you start saying anything?” Joe questioned.

She ignored him. “Maxie and Emma are sleeping over my house tonight. Selena is already too. Problems?” she asked Joe and Nick.

They both vigorously shook their heads, though Nick’s eyes darted to Emma’s face for a split second.

“Excellent,” she said, already looking around. “There’s Selena. I have to go tell her the good news. Maxie, want to come?”

I nodded suspiciously. What was she going to do? Keep me with her every second as to not lose any time? I sighed. This was one reason I didn’t want to tell Nick. He would react worse than this. Demi linked my arm and started walking towards Selena. I had no doubt she intended to keep me in her presence until the second I left.
♠ ♠ ♠
Haha so clearly this won :]
What do you guys think? Just setting some stuff up XD
Comments anyone?