Leaving My Fingerprints

See You Again

“This is so exciting,” Emma said as she looked down the baggage claim aisle for our bags. “We’re actually here in Texas to stay with the Jonas Brothers. The Jonas Brothers. I cannot believe this.”

I laughed. “Alright Em, what did I tell you about the hypeness level?”

She froze, her eyes widened slightly. “Sorry. Oh my gosh, do you think the boys will think I’m some obsessive fan?”

“Which you are,” I smirked.

She rolled her eyes, and looked back to the claim. “Oh there’s yours,” she said, grabbing my bag as it came by.

We made our way down the walkway, looking around for Nick, and Joe. He had texted me and told me it would be them who came to pick us up.

“Maxinator,” we heard Joe shout. A few yards away stood two boys with baseball caps and sunglasses. But their disguises weren’t enough to hide them from me. I knew them too well.

“Hey,” I grinned, running to hug them. I hugged Joe first.

“See told you she always liked me more,” Joe smirked at Nick as he pulled me closer.

I rolled my eyes and pulled away. “Right,” I said, turning to Nick.

I grinned at him, and he grinned at me. I sighed. Nicholas. My best friend, the love of my life. And I was subconsciously hit with the thought that this would be my last visit to spend the summer with him. This would be the last time he ever picked me up from the airport. But I didn’t say anything, smiling to hide the thought. “Hey best friend,” I grinned.

“Hey best friend,” he said back, his grin matching mine.

I laughed, and jumped into his arms. It had been almost six months since I had last seen him. And though we talked every day, it wasn’t the same. I hugged him tighter.

“Awkward,” Joe subtly said when we stood there too long.

Nick and I laughed, pulling away. “You’re jealous,” he smirked at Joe.

“Psh, whatever,” Joe rolled his eyes.

Simultaneously, all our attentions turned to the surprisingly quiet Emma standing a few feet away. She was awkwardly standing there, as if trying not to intrude on the reunion. I laughed, and grabbed her arm, pulling her closer. “Guys you remember Emma, right,” I asked them.

Joe lightly and subtly nudged Nick. I decided to ignore that. The boys both hugged her. “Thanks for coming,” Nick said nervously. Nervously? The only time Nick was nervous was when he was talking to a girl he could possibly like. I stood quietly watching his face as he looked at her. There was something there. I didn’t know what, but I knew Nick well enough to know it was something.

“So,” Joe said, rubbing his hands together. “Should we be off?”

“Where’s Kevin,” I asked, suddenly wary. I knew Joe had his license now, but that didn’t he was – oh crap, I was going to die before my actual time, wasn’t I?

“At home,” Joe rolled his eyes. “Like we need him. Mr. License is here.”

I felt some color drain from my face. Nick laughed, looking at my expression. “I know, I’m scared to.”

“I’m not going to crash,” Joe stomped. “God, I can drive, you know?”

I laughed at his aggravated tone, wondering how much fun I could have with this over the summer. Deciding it would be funny for a long time to come, I patted his arm. “Oh I’m sure, but please Joe, I kind of promised Emma’s mom I’d get her home safely.”

He glared at me. “Can we go before the fan girls realize it’s us? I don’t know about you, but I’m not all up for a running marathon to the car.”

We laughed, and started walking to the exit. My phone started ringing. Mom. “One second guys,” I said, as Joe took a long dramatic sigh and tapped his foot impatiently until Nick punched him in the arm. I walked slightly away, knowing what my mom would probably say, and I didn’t want the boys, especially Nick, to hear something he shouldn’t – just yet. “Hey mom,” I answered it.

“Hi honey, did you reach there safely? Are you feeling okay? Did the ride wear you out too much? Did you find the boys yet? Is it too hot? Did you remember your sunblock,” she asked question after question, not even pausing to let me answer. I sighed, knowing I was probably putting her through a lot of unnecessary stress by even being here when I didn’t know how long I had, or when my sickness could take over at any moment. But I had to see Nick one last time. I had to.

“Yes, we got here safely,” I answered as soon as she paused to take a breath. “I’m feeling fine. The plane wasn’t too bad, though jetlag will probably kill later. Yeah, Joe and Nick are here, and we’re about to leave. And oh my God, yes, it’s burning up. But I do have my sunblock,” I finished.

“Wait,” she said. “Just Joe and Nick?”

I laughed, knowing what she was really asking. “Joe has his license, remember?”

She sighed. “What madman gave him his license?”

I laughed. “Probably some Jonas crazed chick.”

“Hmm, maybe you should call Kevin to come pick you guys up,” she suggested, sounding nervous. My mom knew Joe too well from before they moved away.

“No it’s okay, I’m sure Joe will be fine,” I reassured her. “Besides, if we spend anymore time here, some girls will probably recognize them, and it’ll turn into a mob scene.”

She sighed. “Fine, but you better tell him to be careful.”

“I will,” I laughed.

There was a pause. “Did you tell him yet?”

I groaned, knowing this had been coming, but not particularly excited for it. “Mom, I just got here.”

She sighed. “Maxie, I know you. You’re going to stall.”

“Is that so bad,” my voice was quiet as I peeked back to make sure they couldn’t hear me. Luckily, they weren’t even watching me. Well Nick wasn’t. He was slyly looking at Emma out of the corner of his eye. I felt my heart jump a bit.

“It is when you know he has a right to know as soon as possible,” she told me as I turned back around.

I sighed, knowing she was right. “I’ll tell him as soon as I’m ready,” I promised. “You’re right. Nick does have a right to know. Look mom, I have to go. They’re waiting. Love you.”

“I love you too honey,” she said. “Be careful, and have fun. Bye.”

“Bye,” I hung up and took a deep breath. My mom was right. Nick deserved to know. He was my best friend. He had a right to know. I turned around, and froze. Nick was standing not two feet away from me, his expression confused.

“Tell me what,” he asked.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, I know, not that great.
But big plans guys :]
Haha at least my updates are getting longer again.
Comments/feedback/banners anyone?
Love you guys!