Leaving My Fingerprints

First Realizations

“I really am sorry Maxie,” Joe said as he handed me another towel.

“It’s cool,” I rolled my eyes, tired of his constant apologies. This was what? The eighth time he had apologized? It was sweet. But I kind of got the point that he was sorry. And I kind of had other things on my mind. Like Nick, the love of my life, talking to Emma, the best friend I turned to when Nick left.

“Really,” Joe said again.

I groaned. Demi intervened and pushed him away. “Joe, do me a favor? I think Selena went inside to look for more towels. Want to go help her?”

“Towels?” Joe asked skeptically, eyeing the huge stack on the other side of the pool. Demi nodded, smiling. He shrugged. “Okay.”

“So,” she said, turning to me when he left. “I’m guessing all the extra towels aren’t just for the pool water.”

“Chlorine got in my eye,” I tried to lie.

“Right,” she rolled her eyes. “I’m not blind. I saw them too.”

“Saw who?” I played dumb. Why was she so observant? She just started at me, crossing her arms and she leaned on one leg, tapping the other impatiently. But she didn’t say anything. “What?” I sighed.

“Nothing,” she said, just staring at me. “I’m just going to wait here and just stare at you until you start telling me the truth.”

I groaned. “Has anyone told you you’re more annoying than Joe?”

She pretended to be offended as she covered her mouth, dramatically gasping. “Ouch” she said. “Now spill. What’s going on with the gaggingly cute duo over there?” She nudged her head towards Emma and Nick who were talking, and clearly flirting. I almost gagged as I watched Emma swat his arm playfully. Nick laughed, and looked down quickly, a smitten smile on his face as he ran his hand through his hair.

“Nick likes her,” I admitted, sighing. “And she obviously likes him.”

“Obviously,” she smirked. “Why? Because he’s such a hunk?”

I rolled my eyes. “You’re so immature.”

“But you love me,” she grinned, sitting next to me on the pool chair.

“Occasionally,” I laughed, grateful for the change in subject.

“But back to you,” she said. Of course.

“What about me?” I asked, playing dumb again.

She groaned. “Just admit it Maxie. You love him.”

“Do not,” I mumbled.

“Yeah you do,” she smirked. “Hey, it’s cool. You guys are totally cute.”

I rolled my eyes. There was no shaking her, was there? “It doesn’t matter either way anymore,” I said finally. It was obvious she wasn’t going to get off of this. And I didn’t feel like lying anymore, if only to Demi. No way in hell was I telling Nick that – ever. No, better for me to die peacefully without him ever knowing how I truly felt. It would be easier.

She waved it off. “Nick loves you. He’ll realize it sooner or later.”

“Not if there isn’t time,” I mumbled under my breath.

“What?” she asked. I gulped, not having realized she had heard me.

“Huh?” I said, trying to seem confused. Maybe she hadn’t heard it completely. But she was staring me down. “What?”

“Not time for what?” she asked.

“It’s nothing,” I tried to reassure her, my voice breaking. She had heard me. She not only was annoyingly observant but also she had super sonic hearing. Oh great.

“Seriously Maxie, what’s up? You seem so distant,” she said. “You can tell me anything, you know?”

I sighed. “No I can’t.”

She looked confused. “I don’t tell anyone.”

“No, I know you won’t,” I said. “It’s just – I can’t.”

“Why not?” she asked. “I mean, why wouldn’t you have enough time for Nick to realize how he feels about you? Even if he gets with Emma, they’ll be together what? Two weeks? A month at the most? And then what? He’ll date someone else? And then eventually he’ll figure it out that you’re the only one for him, unless you tell him now. I mean, you guys are going to be best friends forever. It could even be in a few years. It’s not like you’re dying, or—“ She froze as she took in the change in my face.

“Okay, I got more towels,” Joe said, coming towards us. I was staring at the ground, and Demi was staring at me. My cover was blown. Everyone would know now, and my whole summer would be ruined. I would have to tell Nick now. But I couldn’t. How was I going to tell him this? I knew Demi was starting at me. “What’s going on here?” Joe asked, looking between us.

“Selena needs you in the house again,” Demi said.

“No, she’s right there,” Joe budged his head towards the other side of the pool.

“Then she needs you there,” Demi said, still staring at me.

The message was clear and it didn’t take Joe to process it. He just walked away.

I got up quickly. I didn’t want to be here either. “I think Selena needs me too,” I said, following Joe.

“Not so fast,” Demi said, grabbing my arm and pulling me back down on the chair. She was glaring at me now. “Talk. Now.”

Oh crap.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ahh so this is to make up for the last crappy chapter of this :]
Haha heating up a bit, no?
Comments anyone? Please don't be silent readers!
Love you!