Sacred

In the Company of Stalkers and Killers

The blackness receded from my consciousness. I was still on the floor of the bathroom. The tiles underneath me were warm with my body heat. I grimaced at the sour taste on my heavy tongue and look around for the strange moaning sound when I realized it was me. Then it all came crashing down on me. Fai.

I crawled to one of the sinks and used it to drag my body off the ground. This must be what a vampire looks like, only beautiful. Deathly pale, dark bruises under their bloodshot eyes. I’ve never met a vampire but I think a know a little of what its like for them They don’t seem to be attracted to the small city of Chelsea when Boston is just across the Mystic River. How can they stand the call of blood all around them, especially heart blood? Sometimes it drives me crazy. Yeah, I think I found my heart blood, Fai. Right. I am nothing like a vampire, except the blood lust.

“What else could I be, genius?” Great, now I’m talking to myself. I splashed cold water on my face and combed through my tangled hair. Not much better, but there was nothing I could do.

I almost ran into Fai on my way out. We both yelled and stumbled back.

“You feeling better?” His worried hazel eyes studied my face. I felt my heart sink. Why now?

“Yeah, I’m fine.” I couldn’t look him in the eyes. Just get it over with, Barren. I closed my eyes and took a deep breathe.

“I can’t do this anymore. I’m not going to lie to you anymore... or me. We can’t be together.” I made a lame attempt to send him away. His face crumpled with sadness at my words. I couldn’t believe he was buying this. I wanted to tell him sorry and take back my words. Too late now. I’m committed.

“We can still be friends, right?” He asked quietly, but I could see that he already knew the answer.

“No. I should’ve been clear from the beginning. I apologize. Maybe we could’ve avoided.” Fai looked down, biting, opening and closing his hands. A tear caught the light and crashed on the tile. This. Was. Killing me. No turning back. “Stay away from me.” I pushed past him so my face wouldn’t give me away. I paused at the door and looked back. He looked so vulnerable on his hands and knees. “It’s better this way.” I said more to convince me than him. Seeing Fai crouched on the floor sent images flashing before my eyes. Smoke filled my nose and stung my eyes. Screams rang in my ears. A black haired woman with grey eyes crawled towards me. Whispering something, I couldn’t tell what. Mother? I stumbled out of the bathroom and ran from the disturbing images... and Fai.

My blue locker, number 267, gave me no trouble this time and I grabbed my book and homework for American Authors. The bell rang, so I walked slowly to my class. I was already late anyways. The teacher, Ms. Hansen, smiled and batted her eyelashes at me when I came to her desk to turn in my paper. She was young and sorta pretty, but it’s kind of creepy when your English teacher hits on you. I sat down in the only empty seat left, surrounded by Jamie Berkley and her minions. Jamie is probably, no undoubtedly, the most popular girl in this small school; rich, beautiful, and a talented cheerleader, volleyball player, and dancer. I forgot to mention, she’s also extremely selfish, spoiled, a total bitch and the school whore. So, why does she even go to Harem High School? You’re asking me. I’ve no end to the amount of trouble from her because she can’t stand not getting what she wants.

“Hey baby, did you hear about my birthday party tomorrow?” She leaned over and whispered sweetly.

“No.” I said flatly.

“Open up your books and read the next three chapters. When you’re done, answer the short essay questions on board.” Ms. Hansen beamed at the class and turned back to grading papers.

“Well, I want you to come.” Jamie’s voice dripped with poison, daring me to decline. I took the challenge.

“Too bad, bitch.” I muttered and flipped open The Scarlet Letter to Chapter 7. I know who else should wear a scarlet letter.

“You are so-” She started whispering furiously.

“Fuck off, whore! I don’t want to go!” I growled.

“Mr. Seether! I am disappointed in you. You are one of my better students. Go to the office now!” The teacher stood up, pouting and reached for the dinosaur phone on her desk. Whatever. I don’t care what you think. I tossed my book down and left, slamming the door closed. God that felt good. Everybody thinks I’m some kind of goody-two-shoes just because I’m usually quiet and keep to myself. I just want to be left alone.

When I stepped into the front office, the secretary looked up and smiled. I don’t remember her name. Come to think of it, I don’t remember a lot of people’s names here. It doesn’t matter anyways.

“Yes, Barren?”

“Principle’s office.” I muttered and ignored her annoying gasp of disbelief. Mr. Carroll was already yelling at some unfortunate soul, so I sat down in one of the chairs across from his door. None of that mattered right now, or at all. I remembered something of my past. Smoke and fire. And that woman. I felt a connection to her. She had to be my mother. Her eyes were grey like mine. You don’t exactly see that everyday.

“Seether, what’s the deal today? You were absent first class, though you were seen getting off the bus, late second class, disruptive and yelling foul language at Ms. Berkley, a model student!” Mr. Carroll came barreling out of his office, spouting off his big mouth. I stared at him sullenly. He sighed in disgust. “Damn it, Seether. You never have an excuse whenever you’re in here. One more thing today and you’ll have detention after school.” I shrugged. Skipping out the rest of the day was really looking appealing right now. The large man growled and stormed back into his office like and angry toddler, slamming the door. I heard something crash to the floor and he swore. It was probably a picture off the wall.

Why say anything when it’s going to be a lie? I have enough lies to keep up with without slipping up in the front office. I took that as a dismissal and walked back to class. Jamie’s smug expression fell when she saw my quiet smile.

“Let’s see how you like it when your friend gets messed up.” She threatened. I played stupid though it hurt my heart.

“What friend?” Offended, she ignored me for the rest of the class period. A blessing. When the sounds of pencils scratching, pages turning, and erasers squealing started to get on my nerves, the bell rang. I scribbled one last sentence to my answers, turned that in, and ran for the cafeteria. If I ate really quickly I could get there by sundown. No such luck. The line for real food was already half way across the room, so I settled for the school’s greasy pizza. At least it wouldn’t kill me. Waiting in line, my eyes fell on Fai. He was talking to that one girl from before. I really wish I could remember her name. I avoided his gaze when he looked up at me under his bangs. His face fell in the corner of my eye and he turned back to the girl. Screw it. I’ll get food at home. I got out of line and left the cafeteria.

I twisted and turned through the streets and alleys near the edge of Chelsea, and crossed the border of the city, stepping into Glenwood Cemetery. The most heavily wooded cemetery in the area. Passing countless graves, I looked back. I‘d had odd sensation of eyes boring into the back of my head for sometime. A dark figure ducked down behind a headstone so quickly I almost thought I imagined them. Almost. I’m not stupid. I walked faster for my destination. The open area would give me better room to fight if I had to. My stalker gave up hiding and broke into a run, crashing through the dead brown leaves. It got worse before it got better. The woods turned wild; branches scratched at my face, roots pulled at my feet and trees jumped up out of nowhere. We weren’t on the clean cut property of the cemetery anymore. For an unbearably long time I stumbled through the trees and then I finally fell upon the clearing. The corpse of a house lay basking in the last drops of the sun, blackened and scorched. The familiarity of it hit me so suddenly, I stopped. This house was my only tangible connection to my past. I could feel it. My shadow stumbled into me, worse off than me from the ordeal in the wild. I flipped them on their back and flew onto them, bearing my fist down on their head.

“Barren.” They sighed, so relieved. Fai. My fist slammed into ground next to his black hooded head. He smiled. I scrambled away from him.

“Damn it, what are you doing here? Why are you following me?” I yelled at him. Fai ignored me and stared at the house, watching the sun vanish behind it.

“I don’t believe you.” He looked at his feet and whispered.

“Believe me? About what?” I asked confused. A branched snapped in the woods just feet away from us. A chilling laugh sent shivers down my spine.

“Found you.” The menacing voice was so soft I doubt that Fai could hear it. I did. I slammed Fai on to the ground and felt the rush of air as a body flew just above me.

“What the hell!” Fai yelled angrily. Strong hands grabbed me, throwing me into a tree. Fai was silent, though I heard the sickening sound of someone pounding a body like a punching bag. I pushed off of the tree and ran for the sound.

“Oh, no you don’t” A female voice snarled. I whirled around and ducked, just missing a fist in my face. My hands caught her wrist and elbow, snapping it backwards in half. She screamed. And then I saw her face, so pale it glowed in the dark, her eyes, blood red. Vampire. She flailed another hand at me and I took the opening to break her neck. The rush of power tingled up my fingers and through my body. I flew back to where I had left Fai. A tall pale man stood over him, smiling sadistically. Fai struggled to stand up. Weakly throwing out a leg to trip his attacker. The man saw it coming and side stepped the attempt. Still fighting. The male vampire grabbed Fai under the arms, lifting him to his feet, and bared his fangs. I grabbed him around the neck, ripping him away from his prey. I smashed my fist into his still chest, hearing a habitual gasp for air.

“Why do you want to kill us?” I screamed at him, pounding at his chest. He smiled, wincing.

“Only you. There wasn’t spose to be a human. Surprise snack.” He chuckled. I backhanded him across the mouth. He paused, licking blood from his lip and grimaced. “We’re supposed to kill you, because you’re dangerous. You’re not supposed to be alive.” I angrily grabbed his neck, crushing the small round bones into his throat. He was silent. I doubt he was dead, just like I doubt that I killed that other woman, but at least I had to time to get Fai and leave. He lay crumpled in a heap on the ground. When I gathered him into my arms, he let out a faint moan.

“You saved.” He smiled at me.

“I need to get you home. Where do you live?” I spoke softly in his ear.
“Corner of...Caruso and...Sargent.” He wheezed. I hope to God his ribs aren’t broken. Caruso and Sargent wasn’t too far from the cemetery and that scared me. These two or someone else could get to me through Fai. I couldn’t get him involved in this; I don’t even know all of it. Where did all this power come from? Why am I not supposed to be alive? How am I anymore dangerous than a vampire? Another branch snapped farther away. A figure stepped slowly out of the woods about a hundred yards away. I ran.

Still pounding for all I was worth, I slowed to a jog when the small yellow house on the corner came into view. A beat up black Chevy slumped on the short cracking drive in front of the house. His family was home. How could I explain our conditions? I looked down at Fai, unconscious. He looked terrible. I guess you would if I vampire was about to kill you. At least his face was untouched. Okay, stupid wish. I just couldn’t bear to see that beautiful face destroyed. A fight. I’ll just say we got into a fight a school. I took a deep breathe and knocked on the warped door, badly in need of replacing. A beautiful worried young woman opened the door.

“Oh my God! Fai!” She cried and ushered me into the house. “What happened?”

“It was my fight. I got tangled up with some guys at school and-and-and Fai stepped in to help me out. It was an unfair f-f-fight even with him there...” I started babbling words a soon as they touched my brain. Great job, Barren. You are so not believeable. She nodded at my words tearfully.

“Oh, thank you for bringing him home.” She reached out and stroked Fai’s hair. Her hands moved to take him from me. I didn’t want her to.

“Here, let me help you carry him to his room. He’s heavy.” I lied. She smiled and led me to a room filled with boxes and a bed. They weren’t finished packing. Signs of it were everywhere with the numerous boxes and things strewn randomly across the floor and the few pieces of furniture. I lowered him onto the bare mattress and left with one last glance.

“I’m sorry. What is your name?” She smiled sheepishly at the door. I smiled shyly.

“Barren Seether.” When I was for sure she wasn’t looking, I climbed the giant dead oak on their poorly cared lawn to watch for my executioners. The night dragged on. The street stayed silent, holding it’s breath for an explosion. The fireworks never came and leaden eyelids sealed shut.