Jet Black Feeling

Cemetery Drive

Vampires. The creatures of the night that everyone knew were myths, made up things to scare little kids. They weren't real. Never were.

And so I sat in a cemetery without worry or fear, perched atop some Italian captain's headstone and gazing up at the moon. It was peaceful out tonight. I knew I wasn't supposed to be here, but they'd never know.

A poor little goth sneaking out in the middle of the night to the cemetery, wasn't like I'd be missed. Two people labeled as my parents and an empty bedroom awaited me at the place that was deemed my home, but it was only another place where I wasn't accepted.

The cold metal of safety pins was what met my fingertips as I rested my hands in my lap, seeing as the things were pinned to every place imaginable on the baggy pants that were secured around my waist with a studded belt, the white of it glimmering in the moonlight.

A simple black shirt with inaudible gray print clung to my already lanky figure, and moving up, metal also decorated my skin. My whole left ear was covered in piercings, a ring on the right of my bottom lip.

I felt safe here, a strange comfort to such an outcast. No one could judge or torment me here, no was alive. I didn't have to worry about being caught, the 'crypt keeper' had been an old friend of mine since I was an infant. But even after knowing him for so many years, he still had that way of scaring the hell out of me.

Two bony hands landed on my shoulders from behind, a scream escaping my throat before I realized who it was.

"I've told you before 'bout sitting on the old headstones, that one don't have very many days left as is. You're on duty next time, a'ight Snow?"

Snow of course was a nickname I'd earned, and while I'd rather not reflect on the story right now, the name still fit perfectly. My skin after all, was close to being as white as snow.

Old Blue? I called him that because I truly didn't know his real name, he'd never said anything about it. He was blind in one eye and the other was a bright blue, sticking out against his dark skin.

"Yes Old Blue, I forgot about this one, sorry," I smiled up at him, his eyes rolling.

"I'll let it slide this time lil' one, be at home by midnight, you got school 'morrow."

I honestly think he acted more like a parent than my real ones. I spent more time here than at home, and after all these years my parents still thought I was going to a friend's after school.

Old Blue didn't have any kids as far as I knew, so I guess that's why he'd taken a liking to me. He'd taught me all there was to know about his job. I'd learned how to patrol a twenty-five acre graveyard at the age of eight, while holding the leash of a Rottweiler; along with many other tasks.

The caretaker went off to finish his nightly duty, leaving me to sort my thoughts on a headstone that was close to crumbling to pieces. I guess I didn't have much to think about, my parents weren't home often, I had no friends besides Old Blue, no siblings.

I'd felt lonely for a majority of my life, and since both my parents were against having a pet in the house, I had no loyalty from a dog or comfort from a cat. None of my extended family lived close by, and even if they did, it wasn't like they treated me any different. The one family member that accepted me was my cousin Seth, a college student living in Florida.

"I heard you the first time, yes, I promise not to sit on the headstones again," I said, hands clasping my shoulders from behind.

It wasn't Old Blue.