Faith

Chapter 5

Vera’s P.O.V:
Time flies superbly fast. The next thing I knew, it was Saturday night already. Sheesh, the least mum could do was give us a week to say goodbye to my friends. I wore my dark blue jeans, black baby tee and a pair of blue sneakers. Hmm, I wonder how the climate in England is. Oh well, I’ll just bring a jacket for safety measures.

I heard a knock on my door and turned to see Avan opening the door and poking his head in.
“Hey Vee, you ready?” he asked.
“Hmm? Oh, wait let me check again. I unzipped my messenger bag and double check everything that I brought, in case I forget something. Phone? Check. iPod? Check. Purse ? Check. Tickets? Check. Story book? Done. Well, I think that’s it? But why do I feel like something is missing here. Hmm, my hand went to my neck to fumble with the necklace dad bought for me. Shit. It’s not there! Where did I put it? I ran around the room and searched through all the drawers. It wasn’t there. I paced back and forth, thinking where I put it. “Av-an?” I turned around to look for him but he wasn’t in my room anymore. “ARRRGH!” I shouted.

I heard footsteps coming towards my room and Avan burst inside “WHY? What happened ? Where’s the fire?!” Avan asked looking around the room frantically. I couldn’t help it. Really, I did try but, I just can’t. I burst out laughing like a hyena.

“BHAHAHAHAH! Oh-my-god. HAHAA,” I laughed, trying to catch my breath.
“Not funny Vee. I am just going to ignore your laughter and wait for you to calm down” Avan said calmly and sat on the edge of my bed.

Every time I see Avan’s face I would burst out into another round of laughter. My stomach hurts so badly, and tears were running down my face from laughing so hard. I don’t know what’s so funny about it, but it just is! Avan tends to do that, being hilariously funny without him knowing it. I think it was 5 minutes later when I finally calmed down.

“You done yet?” Avan asked pointedly.
“Yeah, yeah. I’m done. Phew,” I wiped away the tears from my face and straighten up myself.
“Anyways, why did you scream?”
“Crap! Avaaaaaan !” I whined, “I lost the necklace dad gave me, can you please help me look for it?” I asked and pouted like a 5 year old.
“Nope, you laugh at me just now . So you have to look for yourself!” he said with a smirk.
I pouted more.
“You know that pout isn’t going to work on me,” he said.
More pouting.
“Vee, come one stop it! It’s not going to work,” he said determinedly but we all no matter how much he tries to deny it, the pout always—and I mean always—works.
I am grinning like a Cheshire cat inside, I can see his resistance crumbling. One more way to go and finally, jackpot .
“Pweaaaseeee” I asked with big round eyes and pouted to the max nearly to the point where I felt like a fish.
“You suck Vee,” Avan said while rolling his eyes .
Bingo! The puppy dog eyes never fail! It works like magic.
“Oh, I may suck, but you love me and I’m your favourite sister in the world!” I exclaimed.
“Vee, you’re my ONLY sister in the world. Sadly,” Avan said, mumbling the last part .
“Hey!” I smacked his head. “I heard that!
“Owww,” Avan whined while rubbing his head. “That hurt. Do you know, I can report abuse here!”
“Right, like you would actually do that. Now, come on my dear brother! The necklace awaits! Shoo, go help me look for it,” I said while pushing him out of my room.

I have no idea how long we looked for my necklace, but it feels long. Suddenly, when I was looking for it under my bed I heard Avan called my name . I stood up and turned around facing him, he was dangling my necklace in front of me. I screamed, snatched the necklace from him, looked at it and hugged my brother. I was practically smothering his face with kisses . “Thank you , thank you , THANK YOU! Oh my god, thank you. You’re awesomely awesome” I said.

“Jyeaah, tell me something I don’t know” Avan replied cockily while examining his fingernails. I smacked his head and said “You really need to deflate your ego, and please stop doing that” I slapped his hand , “You look like a girl” .

“Is THIS what I get for helping my sister? The pain I feel in my heart! The betrayal? The-The hurt! You cut me deep sister, the pain shall never go away!” Avan said while throwing his hands around dramatically.
I gave him the look while saying “Can you get anymore dramatic? Come on, we gotta go.” I walked out of the room while trying to wear the necklace. That was the last birthday present I got from dad. It’s actually a white gold heart locket. It has a long chain and when it is opened, there’s a picture of dad and I. We were both smiling for the camera. I could feel tears prickling my eyes.

It was my 16th birthday and the whole family was in the garden. “Come on Vera! Let’s take a picture of you and dad.” Avan said while holding the camera. I nod and ran towards dad, I jump on his back and Avan took the picture. “Hey! I wasn’t ready yet” I scolded Avan. He stuck out his tongue and ran away from me. I chased him around the garden and jumped on his back. We fell and Avan accidentally dropped the camera. Avan was sprawled out on the grass and I was sitting on his back smirking victoriously. “See, that’s what you get for messing with me” I said. “Vee, get off your brother” dad said sternly, but I could see him smiling in amusement. I got of my brother, took the camera and went to my dad. I turned on the camera and looked at the picture , I got to admit , the picture Avan took of me and dad was nice. I could see Avan standing up and brushing off the grass from his pants and shirt. He walked towards us and stood beside dad. “I’m a great photographer” Avan said breaking the silence. “Tea is ready!” I heard mum shouting from the door. “Come on kids, let’s go inside” dad said. Together we walked in silence, dad had his arms slung around my shoulders and Avan wrapped his arm around my waist. I looked back at the picture Avan took and smiled.

Suddenly, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I jumped in surprise. “Hey, you okay?” Avan asked concernedly. “Yeah, I’m fine. Just remembering the day you took this picture” I said. “I’m a great photographer” he said trying to make me smile. Whoa, déjà vu. “Come on, we have to make a move now” Avan pecked my cheek, ruffled my hair and went downstairs.
I felt a tear drop and I looked back at the picture. The picture of dad and me.

The last picture taken before dad died .
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback .