Shattered on the Ground

The Underrated Sin.

In life we are taught that there are seven deadly sins.
“They’re going to find us,” She had flaming red hair and sparkling emerald eyes. The storage supply closet, what was this high school?

“Who cares,” Michael said against her lips. His hands slid under her shirt while her hands went over his pants, neither noticed the door that opened beside them.

“Michael.” The two repelled like magnets. “Kim.”

We all know the big ones. Gluttony, pride, lust.

“Reese wait up!”

“Don’t talk to me Rodriguez.” Reese growled as she stormed down the hall. Regan followed her as she rolled her eyes and threw her arms up in the air.

“What did I do now?”

“Not you.” Reese grunted. “Michael.”

“You’re angry.” Regan noted as she studied the thin frown on Reese’s lips and the stone hard gaze her eyes had taken. “What did he do?”

But the sin you don’t hear much about is anger.

“What hasn’t he done,” Reese retorted. Reese never got hurt she just jumped straight to anger.

“Want to talk about it?” Regan didn’t know whether to be fully concerned for her friend or not…not that Reese would allow the comfort Regan offered. Reese clamped up when she got upset and this was no exception.

“No.” She said as they continued their swift decent down the hall…

My point is maybe we don’t give anger enough credit.

“Guess what?” Regan said grinned like a Cheshire cat as she ran up to Reese almost an hour later. Reese gazed at her friend in mild amusement as she watched Regan rock back and forth on her heels hardly being able to contain her news.

“What?” Reese questioned tiredly as she scribbles down names on a clip board. It had been a long day, it had been a hard day and Reese wanted nothing more than to go home and take a bubble bath. She didn’t care about hospital drama.

Maybe it can be a lot more dangerous than we think.

“Romeo got into a fight,” Regan said grinning and Reese’s head shot up in response. There was only one person she called Romeo. As if on clue Michael tumbled into the clinic but Reese’s grey eyes narrowed at him and remembering the incident in the closet none too long ago she averted her gaze back to the clipboard; she wouldn’t pitied him—whatever happened he deserved it. “Guess who he got into a fight with?” Reese sighed and her pen stopped mid stroke upon the paper. She glanced up at Regan’s giddy form expectantly as she followed the woman to one of the private rooms.

Reese would never tell her but sometimes it annoyed Reese how Regan could get excited for things that happened at someone else’s expense.

Paris.” That had her on her feet. Reese stood up so fast the clipboard fell from hands and clattered to the ground. Nixon stumbled in after Michael, the two of them still scowling at each other.

It also annoyed her how she could reference literature in daily life…

Reese’s clipboard now lay slack in her arm near her leg as she stared in surprise at the true scene before her.

After all when it comes to destructive behavior …

Nixon, with a black eye, a bloody lip, and anger in his eyes and Michael silently fuming as a bruise developed between his eyes from a broken nose, a black eye and a bloodied lip. Four security guards stood between them with stern faces as a handful of nurses bustled between the in hushed voices. A doctor in a fist fight in the hospital? That would literally be kept behind closed doors.

Suddenly…Reese Lynn Hanley snapped for the first time in a long time.

“What the fuck happened here!” Reese shouted. The nurses froze in their actions to clean and inspect wounds and even the security guards turn, impressed by her ability to demand attention.

Nixon’s disposition turned from anger to guilt in an instant while Michael went from anger to defensive.

“Asshole came out of nowhere!” He exclaimed pointing a furious finger at Nixon who just narrowed his eyes in silence. “He hit me for no reason.”

“I had a perfectly valid fucking reason.” Nixon responded crossly his dark hair falling into his face. He moved to brush the locks away and it was then that Reese noticed the blood on his knuckles.

“Care to share?” Reese inquired hotly. What reason could Nixon possibly have for punching Michael? Reese could think up a few but they all revolved around jealousy, which was just ridiculous.

Nixon’s gaze turned from a glare at Michael to Reese and surprise momentarily flashed across his face as though he had just realize she was there.

“What?”

“Why the hell did you punch him Kenneth!” She demanded hotly. It had been a bad day, a bad bad day and unfortunately Kenneth Nixon was a perfect target toward her anger, displaced or not.

Nixon open and closed his mouth several times, unsure how to start. “He—I saw,” Nixon paused, shook his head and cursed. “I saw him with-“

Reese held up her hand to stop him and Nixon paused a look of relief crossing his face that he wouldn’t have to say what he saw.

“Reese-“

“Shut up,” She snarled cuttingly. “Neither one of you speak to me unless I’m asking you something, understand?”

Nixon swallowed and fell silent, it wasn’t out of not having a back bone but knowledge. Nixon had seen Reese angry, he’d seen her angry in a way no one ever had before. Her anger, so carefully kept check was like a pressure of hot steam with no way to let out the pressure; under extreme circumstances the whole top blew and everything went to hell. The situation had only ever happened once…unfortunately the two situations were all too similar.

But Michael on the other hand…

“He hit me Reese,” Michael stated heatedly. “Its not the hard to figure out.” He turned to Nixon, “I hope you know I’m pressing charges asshole!”

“Kiss my ass.” Nixon shot back.

“That’s it!” Reese barked furiously. “Everyone out.” Nobody moved, too shocked by both Dr. Hanley’s outbursts but also because nobody knew whether to listen to doctor or not. Technically all personal were supposed to be there, that is except for Regan. Reese took a deep breath and regained her professionalism. “Nurses, out.” She ordered. “I’ll call you back if your needed but it appears that none of their wounds require emergency attention so you are dismissed.”

The nurses turned to one another before hesitantly turning to leave.

“Security,” She made sure to keep careful control of her voice, if she didn’t watch they’d be called for her. “Could you please step outside? I know both of these men and nothing more will happen. This is a misunderstanding you see.”

The men looked doubtful. “Please officers, there is a window if anything suspicious or violent happens you can see it. But you’ll understand that these are personal matters and all irrational behavior has passed.”

They turned to each other, “Five minutes Dr. Hanley, Head Chief will want to know what has gone on.”

With the nurses and security gone it only left one other person. Silently Reese turned to her best friend.

“Oh come on, Reese!” She complained throwing her hands up.

“No Reggie,” She shook her head firmly. “not this time, not with this.”

Regan’s composure changed as hurt flashed across her face and then annoyance before she spun on her heels and disappeared out the door.

It was silent for a moment as both men studied Reese’s back, wondering what she would say or do with no one around.

Slowly, silent Reese turned around and eyed the two men.

“Kenneth?” she prompted.

“Babe,” Michael interjected indignant. “He punched me, why the hell do you even care what he thinks. Actually,” He began finding a new angle as annoyance bled through. “How do you know him?”

In one swift movement Reese chucked her clipboard at him. “Shut up Michael.” She snarled cuttingly as he narrowly dodged the object. Before turning her attention to Nixon.

“Well?”

“I overheard him-“

“You punched me because you were eavesdropping?!” Michael questioned in disbelief.

“He was talking to a woman, she was worried about something.” Nixon continued carefully. “She was worried about, well, you. She was worried about you finding them out...sleeping together.”

What shocked Nixon was not her outburst or yelling but her silence.

“Right,” She nodded to herself before approaching him. “Nixon,” She began sharply. “My business is my business, I don’t need you to fight my battles. You don’t get to come here and try to what? Be friends? Then punch out my boyfriend over shit you over heard. You don’t have that right Nixon and you haven’t been close to having that right in a long long time. On top of that you don’t get to come in here and punch my boyfriend in my fucking hospital! I work here Nixon, this place is my life, I spend 90 hours a week here; 90 hours with more people I can’t stand then can, what the hell am I suppose to say when I have my ass handed to me by my boss because my boyfriend and my patient have gotten into an altercation. Not to mention I’m sure it was in front of at least ten people because neither of you know the meaning of the word discreet.”

“I’m…sorry?”

“Get out.” She sighed.

Nixon studied her for a moment before rising from the examining table he was perched on.

“I’m sorry,” his eyes flickered to Michael before he threw open the door and walked out.

Her gaze then turned to Michael, anger rising in her just from looking at him.

“Babe-“

Her hand struck his face before he could get another word.

In all her life Reese had only loved to men. Two men in 26 years and both men had gotten her into this position. Twice now she had been where she was now, betrayed and broken hearted. Last time this had happened she’d ran, she’d hid, and fallen into a down whirl heartbroken spiral—that wouldn’t happen again.

When Reese raised her hand to strike him this time she hit him the way Chris had taught her as teenagers when he’d taken karate. It was intended for guys who pressured her or someone trying to rob her, either way the memory was clear and the effect hit home.

Power comes from the feet and moves up.
Pivot on right foot.
Closed fist, thumb out.
Target <s>chin</s> nose.

When Reese pulled her mildly throbbing fist back Michael cursed and his hand went to his already broken nose, blood pouring from the spot.

“Nurse!” She yelled and in an instant the door burst open. She backed away to allow them to examine Michael. “His nose started bleeding again…”

… it did make the top 7.
♠ ♠ ♠
Is anyone still with me here? *crickets*...

So I know this is way long over due but truth is I lost interest with this story admits my life drastically changing in the past year. But Ive been reinspired so hopefully more chapters are coming soon =)

BTW after looking over my past chapters I realized that somehow a vital Reese/Nixon scene somehow didn't make into chapter 7. Idk what happened it was in my head and somehow didn't make it into a Word document. Anyway its there now so if you want to read it just scroll down until you see the line page break. You can find the chapter here

This chapter is dedicated to peaceREB (if she's still with me after all this time) and KeroseneKemistry (1 year? Talk about dedication girl.)< its because of her this chapter is out right now.