Intertwined

Chapter Five

Lori was the first to wake, and she glanced around her strange surroundings, her heart hammering at her chest as she trembled in the cold bed she was lying in. The sheets were twisted around her legs and she kicked them off, thrashing in a blind panic and eventualy the sheets slid from her body, and she curled up beside the damp pillow at the top of her bed.

She glanced across the room to where Lonmar lay, sound asleep on the other bed. His tousled hair stuck out from the blankets draped over his still body. She shot him a smile, despite the fact he couldn't see her. She felt comforted by the fact he was close, though her body was still covered in a thin, cold veil of sweat. Despite having no nightmares, Lori still had a troubled time staying asleep.

Immeadiatly feeling lonely without the sarcastic comments coming from her companion, Lori slid out of the bed, realising she was still dressed in the same clothes she had left her home in. Making a mental note to change as soon as possible, Lori padded across the small gap between the beds, and prodded Lonmar, crouching on her haunches so her face was a mere hairsbreadth away.

Lonmar's eyes fluttered, reluctant to open. Lori whispered his name quietly, almost as if she was afraid to wake him, and Lonmar twitched at the feel of her warm breath tickling his cheeks. He screwed his face up and slowly opened his eyes, smiling in the relaxed way he had perfected.

"Hey little one." He greeted his companion, reaching out a hand to ruffle Lori's hair. She swatted it away, grabbing his wrist and tugging him out from underneath his blankets. "Don't Lori, I'm still sleepy. Give me another hour..." With that, Lonmar pulled his arm back, rolling over with a sigh, giving Lori a view of his back, bare, as he had thought of not sleeping in his clothes from the day before.

"Lonmar..." Lori bit her lip, hating the strange place she was in. It had been her idea to leave the confines of everything she knew by memory, and come to this new world that confused and dazzled her, but now she wished Lonmar had caught her, dragged her back, convinced her to stay. She touched his shoulder, but he was already asleep.

She got to her feet and looked around the room, running a hand through her tangled hair. She frowned. Where was it that Markan said the bathroom was? She found his note on the floor near her bed, not remembering dropping it there. Re-reading it, she left it on her bed, where Lonmar could see it, and set off for a shower.

She finished quickly, pulling her dirty clothes on over her damp body, and shaking her wet hair over her shoulders. There was a small square hole in one of the walls, covered in thin mesh, making an approximation of a window. Lori walked over to it, glancing out at the abandoned wasteland that surrounded the city. Thinking of the city, Lori decided it was high time for Lonmar to wake up and explore this place with her. Maybe if she knew the place, she wouldn't be so afraid.

Lonmar was already awake and dressed when Lori slid back into the hotel room. He smiled easily at her, sliding the room key into his pocket and striding towards her.

"Come, we must find Markan and ask for some directions around town. We need food, water, supplies and information. It's vital we get on our feet, or else we shan't survive here." He squeezed Lori's shoulder in a brotherly way, hoping to reassure her. He could see the worry in her clouded eyes, and he knew that if she sensed he was worried also, she would panic.

"I know Lonmar, you're not the only responisble one around here." Lori gave him a playful shove, and darted from the room, gesturing for Lonmar to follow, which he did, knowing it had worked.

Downstairs, there was a small bar, drinking bottles lined up half-empty behind it. Small tables and chairs crowded the dimly lit room, and it was occupied by a small group of people and a thin cloud of smoke that grouped around the ceiling. Nobody glanced up as the two young teenagers entered nervously, except the woman behind the bar, who stopped cleaning the mangy glass she held, and eyed them suspiciously.

Lonmar approached her, and Lori followed hesitantly, and they both stifled gasps as they saw the woman's face.

It was pale, and was probably once pretty, but was mangled by the three scars on each of her cheeks. They were deep and purple, running from her ears to the corners of her mouth. They were smooth, no jagged or wavering parts, complete curves that made a grotesque image that the girl was smiling menacingly. Lori glanced at Lonmar, but he smiling at the girl and leaning in to the bar, winking at the girl.

"Hey, we're new here, to the wastes, to the city, to everything. Can you help us?" His voice was smooth, kind and flattering, the great skill Lorcan had with people was obvious, as the woman smiled, immeadiatly looking younger, yet slightly more sinister.

"I'm Coryan, if yer askin'. Who're you 'n who's the other girl? We dont get lassies round here t'often." Her accent was thick, and hard to understand, as if she was foreign and had trouble mastering the correct dialect. "I'm Markan's sister, a help run 'Inn and keep 'way all the bad stuff, right?"

"I'm Lonmar, and this is my friend Lori. We're like brother and sister, and we grew up in a strange underground home, we never knew this place existed." Lonmar explained, still keeping his calm tone, whereas Lori, hearing of how oblivious they were, felt a feeling similar to shame spread across her chest. She shook her head, knowing it was foolish, and Lonmar cast her a strange glance.

And that moment, Colnin strolled in, his face relaxed, and he beamed at the three standing by the bar. He gave a short bow to them, with a mocking smile on his face as his dark hair covered his eyes. Coryan giggled and Lori blushed, making Lonmar scowl.

"Ready to go then, young one's?" Colnin asked, his eyes lingering on Lori's flushed face, then raised his eyebrows as he noticed Lonmar's scowl deepning. "Come on you two, we have much to do."

Lonmar nodded, forcing himself to keep his expression neutral, and Lori did the same, with an easy smile lingering on her lips.

So, with a short wave to Coryan, they left the safety of the Inn.
♠ ♠ ♠
2nd version of the ending :D

Trilby

X