Status: My USB that had the rest of this story on it broke. : ( I am re-writing chapters and will update as soon as I can.

Do You Think You're Up For This?

Divine Intervention

“Yeah, we’re stubborn and melodramatic, a real class act.” – Taking Back Sunday

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

“Ready?” Michael asks, taking the keys out of ignition after parking the car.

“I guess,” I sigh, turning to open the door. He gets out and practically runs to the other side of the car as I’m stepping out of it. He closes the door after he helps me out. I laugh.

“I’m not that fat yet, am I?” I tease, linking my arm with his as we walk.

“I just like doing things for you,” he replies, turning to kiss my cheek.

We walk inside and check into the doctor’s office for my first checkup since I found out.

I absentmindedly scratch at my wrist while we wait in the examination room until Michael grabs my hand to prevent me from doing so.

“Are you nervous?” he asks, glancing at me knowingly. I shrug.

“A little,” I admit, although I’m not entirely sure why I’m scared. He squeezes my hand in reassurance.

My doctor eventually comes in, asks me questions, performs examinations, and whatever else I assume is normal for these checkups and I start to relax.

“Would you like to know the sex of the baby?” one of the nurses asks during the ultrasound.

“No,” I answer, at the same time that Michael says, “Yes.” We glance at each other, then back at the doctor before speaking again.

“No,” he changes his mind, just as I’m about to change mine.

“Are you sure?” I ask, turning to him again. He waits a little while as he decides.

“Yes. I want it to be a surprise.”

“Alright, well everything seems to be going well so far,” the doctor says after we’re done. “I’ll see you again as soon as you’re back in town, Rachel.”

We thank him and leave, just in time to meet Suzie and Mike for lunch.

Michael slides into the booth beside me, and Suzie and Mike across.

“How was the doctor?” she asks immediately.

“They did the first ultrasound, but we don’t want to know what it’s going to be,” I answer.

“You didn’t let them tell you what it’s going to be?!” Suzie demands, slamming her menu down on the tabletop and drawing the attention of the next table over. I roll my eyes at her dramatics.

“What’s the big deal?” I frown, studying the menu. I’m undecided as to what I want and I’m not sure what I’m craving most at this particular second. I’ve been craving pasta all morning, but the chicken sounds good as well.

“We want it to be a surprise,” Michael adds, placing his hand on my knee, fingers brushing against the fabric of my jeans.

“But what are me and Courtney going to do about the baby shower?! We need a theme!”

“You can’t tell me you’re already planning a baby shower,” I say, still trying to decide what to order.

“But-” she starts to argue.

“Relax, babe,” Mike tells her, wrapping an arm around her waist.

“But…she’s being unreasonable,” she pouts, jerking her head at me.

“Well, when you have your own kids, you can do whatever the fuck you want with them,” he points out jokingly.

“Hah. Yeah, right,” she scoffs sarcastically, rolling her eyes and then averting her gaze to her soda. “Because that’s totally what I want.” I notice Mike tense up a bit at her side. I shift uneasily and glance at Michael, who also looks suddenly uncomfortable.

“Well, my next appointment’s not till after tour, so even if I wanted to know, I’d still have to wait two months, at least,” I ramble awkwardly, trying to alleviate the awkward atmosphere that’s enveloping the small table.

Judging by the way Suzie’s studying the menu with a frown, and Mike’s running a hand through his hair uncomfortably…my attempts aren’t working.

I shoot Michael a look and put my hand on top of his under the table, nodding towards the two of them.

He tries making conversation with Mike, and I with Suzie, but that doesn’t help, either.

I’m not so sure what’s going on.
♠ ♠ ♠
I’m sorry. Is this getting boring? I think I lost a few subs.

Thanks: spider ninja., Beware! Eleanor!, boycottlove, InYourEyes2410, Santino; fatehathnomercy, HarperB82.

11 pm. Bonus points if you know what song this line's from...

Another day late and one year older.

Happy Birthday to me in a little over an hour. You can send a cake and Michael Guy Chislett to:

Cris ********
**** S. ****** Ave
Ch*c*go, *l *****

If for some reason this cannot be arranged, comments would be appreciated/accepted, especially from you silent readers.

; )