Status: Will be updating as soon as possible.

I'm Just A Kid

Chapter-12

I sat in the cold, damp feeling room by myself as I watched all the other people walk around behind the glass window.
There was a styrofoam cup sitting on the table in front of me, filled with coffee, even though I wouldn't drink it. Jordan wasn't sitting next to me anymore, and I felt like everyone else in the building thought I was guilty.
For some reason I was starting to blame myself.
I should have been there for my Grandmother, even though it wasn't one of the days I went to her house after school, I felt like I should have just known.
I was slumped down in the very uncomfortable seat, picking at the cup with my thumb nail. I just wanted to leave.
Then I started thinking... “Where in the hell am I gonna to go?”
...
My dad left. My Mother is going to jail. My Grandmother is dead.
I wondered if my siblings would even care when they found out. I didn't talk to any of them anymore.
...
I lost my train of thought as I heard the door open and the blinds hooked to it crash against the glass on the door. I looked up to see, who I assumed to be a detective, walking in with a folder in one hand and a pen in the other. He was dressed casually, which surprised me.
He gave me a smile, “So, how you doin'?” he asked as he sat down and carefully placed the folder down in front of him, placing the pen on top. “My Grandma just died, how do you think I'm doing?” I replied, as I gave him a look saying “Are you serious?”, I don't think he was expecting me to be that angry, for a moment he looked surprised.
“So you were close to her?” he asked calmly as he opened the folder and started writing. I slumped down further in the chair and folded my arms across my chest, “Yeah.” I said quietly, not looking up at him.
But before he could ask anything else, I blurted out, “How come I'm here, I mean, you already know that my Mother did it...” I looked up at him and suddenly felt like crying.
He didn't respond, he still looked calm and self-possessed. He had probably worked with teenagers before. “So you can ask questions, just not answer them.” I stated.
“I'm just doing my job.” he responded, but the look he gave me made me worry if I had somehow offended him.
For a moment there was another silence.
I wondered what type of questions he needed to ask. He already knew my Mother committed the crime.
Wait a second.
I kept my eyes on him, “How did people get there so fast?” I asked. He looked confused, “Hmm?” “How did people get to my Grandmother's so fast, there's like no one that lives close enough to know what was going on, I'm just wondering who called.”
“I'm not sure if I can tell you that.” he responded.
I started to tap my foot on the ground at the same time I started to tap my thumb against the table. I didn't say anything more, I was letting my thoughts wonder, not even acknowledging the detective anymore.
“Can I ask you something?” he asked. I stopped tapping my foot and finger, and leaned closer, placing my elbows on the table.
“I guess.” I respond, having no idea what he was about to say.
He closed the folder and set down the pen, “Things like this don't happen often, I'm just wanting to know what happened in your family to trigger this.”
I was getting tired of this man, I didn't like his investigation style. “You know,” I started to say, “I'm not too sure if I can tell you that.” I replied with a smirk on my face.
We both stared at each other for a while, he eventually looked away.
“Well,” he stood up and placed the pen in his pocket, “I don't think I'm going to get much out of you, so I'll just leave now.”
Are you kidding me?
“Is that your way of trying to make me talk?” I said before he opened the door. I wanted so badly to jump out of my chair and slap him, “My family is a piece of shit, my Mother just killed my Grandmother, the only person on this Earth to ever love me... and you won't even attempt to do your job well.”
I couldn't tell what he was thinking by the look on his face, he sat back down, still not saying anything.
“I have no clue what you want me to say, I seriously don't know why any of this happened, my Mother had no reason to kill anybody.” I started to ramble as I looked down at the floor and slowly shook my head, “It really doesn't make sense to me.”
I felt a tear fall down from my left eye, I didn't bother to wipe it off. My throat started to hurt, get tight; I didn't want to talk anymore.
Again, there was another silence. I was starting to hate how he wouldn't tell me about anything going on. Why was Jordan here? Why would they be questioning me, when I wasn't even there?
Finally, he broke the silence. “We need to start figuring out where your going to be staying.”