Status: Will be updating as soon as possible.

I'm Just A Kid

Chapter-2

“Are you hungry?”

My grandma always asked me that question whenever I arrived at her house. She lived by herself and never had any visitors of any sort, except for the holidays.
“I think I'm alright grandma.” I replied as I sat on the couch closest to the window.
Her cats were the sweetest things, always purring and never shed a single hair on me. They really liked grandma also, always rubbing up against her legs, sitting in her lap in the early morning while she drank her coffee. I'm glad she had those cats, they're sometimes the only thing to keep her company. Her husband died before I was part of the family, I've seen pictures but I really wish I knew him.
“Gilly.” I heard my grandma say. I sighed and shook my head, and waited for her to correct herself. She coughed, “Sorry, I mean Courtney.” I stood up off the couch and walked towards the kitchen. She always called me “Gilly.” my oldest sisters name. She's 26 and lives in a different state. People say I look just like her, like we could be real sisters, and not just related through law. I didn't care.
“Yes grandma?” I asked as I was in the kitchen. She handed me an old coffee container, filled with egg shells and coffee grounds. “Compost.” I told myself out loud. She nodded, “There's another one also, you can take it after you empty that one.” I looked by the sink and there was another one, in a bigger plastic container, just waiting for me to empty it.
It was cold outside, probably about 40 degrees. I put my hood on, and jumped the 5 steps at once, hitting the icy ground almost falling. I was purposely careless, and it was one of my many excuses for all of my bruises and cuts. I slowly ran to the big compost container on the other side of her garage, ours was right before out trail that went to the highway. I tore off the lid and quickly banged the old coffee container against the inside of the black compost box. I sighed and ran back inside to get the other.
“Do you want to stay down here for a bit and do some more work around here?” grandma asked as I was grabbing the other compost container. I looked at the time, it was 6pm. “What exactly would I do?” I asked. “Well,” she started to say, “You could vacuum and it really needs dusting.” she said as she ran her finger on the back of the coffee table.
6:30. Mother should be home. I quit dusting and went to go look out the window above the kitchen sink. Her car was there. “Sweetness” I said out loud. I quickly finished the last table (Spraying way to much Pledge on it) and wipe it off. I run to the kitchen and place the Pledge back into the broom closet (which doesn't even have a broom in it) and run back into the living room, and into the hallway. I open the door and yell down into the basement. “Grandma. I'm going home now.” The washer was going, she was almost always doing laundry. “Did you finish everything?” she asked, like she always does. “Yeah, and Mother's home now, so I kinda wanna go home.” I yelled. “Alright, you can go, thank you.”
I ran up the trail to my house, the white boring one which looked like shit from the outside... and the inside. I reached the steps on the deck and jumped all three at once, just like my dog does. I almost ran into the glass table, but caught myself before tripping over a chair. I opened the door and immediately heard yelling. I wanted to listen, but from past experiences I knew it wasn't best to always know what they were arguing about. I closed the door, quietly, even though neither of them probably would've noticed if I slammed it. I sighed and took a seat on the steps.


I'm just a kid, and life is a nightmare.