This is Gonna Require a Little Finesse

Chapter 18

((KARI'S POV))((3 Weeks Later))

A fervent whisper: "Hey! She's waking up!"

"J...Jack...?" My entire body was killing me. There was a soft buzzing that was filling my ears and my vision was clouded over but slowly becoming clearer. There was a figure leaning over me, a male.

"Uh, no. Shit. The doctors didn't say she'd have memory loss did they?" he asked someone out of my line of vision.

"Noooo..." a voice said, they sounded very worried.

"PAUL!" I exclaimed suddenly.

A relieved smile washed over his features. "Hey, there sleeping beauty. How are you feeling? You scared us all to death there for a minute."

"Oh my God. Kari! Don't you ever do that again!" Amanda had popped up into my line of vision and hugged me.

I cried out in pain involuntarily. "What happened to me? Why am I in a hospital? What are you guys doing in Detroit?"

The two newly weds shared worried glances with each other. "Guys?" I was starting to panic, and the monitoring system to my heart was beeping a bit frantically.

"First: calm down, honey." Amanda told me, stroking my hair.

I took a deep breath. The beeping became more rhythmic.

Amanda took a deep breath, too. She prepared for my reaction, "You got shot in the chest at pretty close range, and in the left leg a number of times. You're in the hospital because you just barely escaped death. And we aren't in Detroit."

I stared at her. Silent. Dead silent. Then, "No. No, I have to go back, Evie said... I have to... they need me!" I was rambling and moved quickly to get out of bed. Too quickly. The room spun and the beeping quickened again. This time a nurse rushed in, she put something into the IV that was connected to my arm and I felt the pain disappear, along with my hold on consciousness.

I didn't want to leave...

I woke up the next day to find Amanda’s mother in my hospital room dressed in her scrubs. "Hey, Doc." I teased. I put some pressure on my legs; the pain seemed to be gone there, mostly.

Helen’s face wrinkled gently as she smiled. "Hey, honey. How are you feeling?"

"Better, I guess. My legs seem pretty good. But my shoulder is killing me." I complained.

"Yea. I was able to reset your shin and it has some surgical pins to hold it together. You shoulder was a bit harder. Let me see?" I leaned forward and she moved the hospital gown down my right shoulder, and 'hummed' thoughtfully.

Helen was a surgeon. Scratch that. Helen was an amazing surgeon. "It was a bit difficult to stitch back together the muscles and such. But you'll make a full recovery. And you've got a pretty nice scar too." she chuckled.

I laughed, and struggled to see the scar. It almost resembled a sliver of the moon. "I don't know what I'd do without you, Helen. So, uh, not to sound ungrateful, but when do I get out of here? I kind of have something I was hoping to, well, fix – I guess would be the best word." I mumbled.

She smiled again like she knew what I was talking about. "That's why I'm here. I needed to see how you've healed during your short coma. You pass! You're nearly completely healed. I'll see when I can fit you in and we'll take out those screws today, hopefully. Oh, and you’ll need to attend physical therapy for quite a while until you’re a full 100%. HOWEVER! If you're planning on leaving unexpectedly again, young lady, this time do something with your apartment."

"I was working on that." I told her with a sly grin.