This is Gonna Require a Little Finesse

Chapter 6

*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*((Kari's POV))!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*

Hopping up and stretching my arms I slugged across the room and yawn, "I'm gonna go shower..." I jumped in front of Bobby and gave him a quick innocent smile before clicking the door closed.

"Oh, come on Kari! You're gonna take a fucking hour and we gotta go soon!" Bobby whined.

I though we were grown-up now. A smile crossed my face. "I will not take an hour! And where're we goin'?" I called out as I stepped under the warm water.

"Lawyers''' Bobby's voice came, it seemed farther away, he was heading back down the hall.

"Oh, right. Evelyn musta made a will." I whispered in thought, lathering my hair in the sweet smelling shampoo.

*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*

Sitting in the lobby outside the lawyers' office I was wearing a pair of jeans that were too long to wear with my Converse, so much so that they were tattered at the hem from being stepped on and a black turtle neck that was on the tight side, graciously displaying my curves. There were 37 green and white speckled tiles between myself and the door that separated me from the brothers.

Like Jackies' eyes...

Wait, what the FUCK? Who's this?

The little voice in your head you locked away a long time ago. And don't change the subject; you know that was what you were going to say!

I...umm...n-no...I'm just bored, and I wanna get out of here. I hate fancy places.

I said DON'T change the subject. You're falling for him.

Do you understand how complicated that would be!? --And no I'm not!

Yes, you are; and it wouldn't complicate things anymore than they already are.

...Fine...I MAY be falling for him a LITTLE...maybe...

Hehehe, I always win.

...Shut up...! No one asked you to come back you know!

The door opened and the four of them stepped out, Jerry jerked his chin in the direction of the elevators, "Come on then, I got somethin' to show y'all." I got up pulling the hoodie on and falling into step next to Jack.

A "little"...riiiiiiight...

I thought I told you to go play in traffic.

"Hey, Ma left this in there for you." Jack said with a sad smile before handing me a long chain with a locket on it, however the clasp was broken.

I looked at it and after applying some pressure I got it to pop open. Inside was a picture of me when I was younger and "DAUGHTER" was carved it beautiful handwriting opposite the small photograph. I smiled as it closed with a light snap and slid it into my pocket.

"Thanks, Jack."

He just gave me another sad smile that he seemed to be forcing and nodded. Before I could even stop myself, I slid my hand into his as we walked, he squeezed my hand gently but didn't let go; the elevator doors closed in front of the five of us and it started to descend.

"This is it?" Angel asked his big brother as all of us walked the ramp through a run down warehouse.

"So, this is your dream, Jerry?" Bobby added as he looked around the huge renovated room.

"Yea, gonna build luxury lofts, man." Jerry said with a smile. I'd been walking around the room on my own and turned back at his comment, his smile turned out to be contagious. I was happy to see Jerry so excited about something. "You know, urban sophistication's what I'm talkin' about. This whole first floor here is gonna be lavish offices and storefronts. I'm gonna put stained-glass windows here--"

Bobby cut in rudely, "You got insurance?" he had a twisted grin on. I had a pretty good idea what the oldest Mercer brother was thinking.

"Why?" Jerry asked worriedly.

"So we can burn this bitch down!" Bobby whooped with laughter taking a gulp of his beer.

"No, we ain't burning shit down! You always wanna destroy something." Jerry snapped, desperately trying to protect his future plans.

"Look. Look at your little brother. Jack!" Bobby commanded. I rolled my eyes as I turned to see what Bobby's yelling was about, and there was Jack taking a piss.

LOVELY! (note the sarcasm)

"Why the hell do I always come back to the four of you?" I whispered aloud to myself shaking my head.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Is this the master suite? Am I making the property value go down?" Jack asked with a laughing smirk.

"This shit hole gives the term: 'Motor City Breakdown' a whole new meaning, Jerry." Bobby quipped patting his brother on the back.

"How the hell you gonna pay for all this, Jeremiah" I asked scuffling back across the room to stand next to him.

"Government Redevelopment Loan. Easy to qualify. Low interest rates. Y'all stick around, I might give y'all ass a job."

"Fuckin' A; 'cause I'm gonna need one now, brother, with all the time I've missed over in Chicago." I laughed a little. All that was probably true, I won't be too surprised if when I got home there were twenty or more messages from my boss asking where the hell I was.

Angel started laughing to himself then blurted, "They look like nipples." he seemed to be talking about some half sphere things on a shelf.

"Oh my god! I'm surrounded by morons!" I whispered in exasperation. With a playfully disgusted look upon my face I started to walk away toward the exit.

"Whatever. Let's go get a real drink." Bobby declared throwing his bottle away against the ground causing it to shatter into millions of tiny pieces.