Status: Finished.

Promise Me Forever

Mid-Sweet Talk

“Give me another,” Kourtney demanded, slurring her words at the man behind the bar. “I want another drink – the same one.”

The man nodded and served her another glass, placing it on a marooned coloured napkin. “Where’s your mate Joe?” he asked.

“Psht! Don’t talk to me about him,” she snapped. “That asshole has got a nerve for treating me like shit.”

“I’m guessing this is all because of another girl.”

“Oh, you think?” she said. “Don’t even get me started on Lacey.”

“She sounds like a hooker,” the bartender commented. “Do you have a number?”

Kourtney glared at the man behind the bar.

“Right, sorry,” he apologized. “You were saying before?”

“I could kill Lacey.” Kourtney said. “Throw her in a dumpster or maybe even just ram her with my car.”

“Joe wouldn’t be too happy.”

“I don’t care anymore.”

Kourtney gripped onto the glass and sculled the alcohol down to her stomach, then slammed the glass back down onto the bench.

“We’re closing in five,” the bartender told Kourtney.

The girl nodded, taking in the information.

“Do you have a ride?” he asked.

“Yeah, I have a Jaguar.”

“No, I mean, do you have anyone to give you a ride home?” he said. “You’re slightly drunk.”

“No, I don’t have a ride in that case.”

“Pass me your phone.”

Kourtney reached into her back pocket, pulled out her phone. Being drunk made Kourtney obedient. It was this strange thing that happened to her even when she was just tipsy. Then before Kourtney knew it, the bartender suddenly handed her phone back to her.

“Uh, thanks,” she said, unsurely, wondering what the bartender did to the phone. She slid her phone back into her pocket.

“Someone’s coming to pick you up,” he said, reading her thoughts.

“Who?” Kourtney questioned.

“Nick.”

“He’s lucky to have that girl.”

“What’s her name again?”

“Kim,” Kourtney answered. “My money’s on, two months they’ll get engaged. They’ve been together since… Wait, I can’t remember – well, the point is that, they’ve been together for ages.”

“Kourtney?” a voice came.

The girl grinned. “Ah, Nick! You’re here!” Then she turned around and her face fell. She froze. “Joe? What the hell are you doing here?”

“Nick told me to come and pick you up.”

“I don’t want to go with you,” she said quietly, as the man in front of her moved closer to her.

Joe ignored the girl’s comment and grabbed her arm, placing it around his neck, ready to carry her.

Kourtney reacted immediately by removing her arm from around his neck. “I can walk by myself thanks,” she snapped.

She stood up and gripped onto the bench, hoping that she could actually walk herself. But she knew, deep down inside, she wouldn’t be able to. The alcohol made her co-ordination worse than usual, but that happened to everyone.

Kourtney removed her hand from the bench and took a step. She fell, and Joe caught her, and carried her to his car. Kourtney didn’t fight off Joe this time. She wasn’t going to bother.

She soon found herself in the front passenger side of Joe’s car. The car pulled up in front of a house.

“Why did you come?” Kourtney asked, fifteen minutes later into the car ride. She still had no idea where he was taking her.

“I told you already. Nick told me.”

“I thought I was a ‘nobody’ you could forget about,” Kourtney mumbled, as a tear began to trickle down her soft cheek.

“I didn’t mean that,” Joe said.

“Why did you say that then?” she demanded.

“Because I didn’t realized I lost you when nothing was right.”

“But you could never lose me.”

“Because I know l will always be able to find you.”

Kourtney could feel the alcohol beginning to wear off. She could begin to think clearly now. “What about that promise we made to each other a month and a half ago? Is it still on?”

“Of course it is,” Joe nodded. “What makes you think it’s not on anymore?”

Oh, I don’t know. Maybe the small fact that you have a girlfriend you’re madly in love with? She thought. She shrugged and stayed quiet.

The pair began to walk up the stairs.

“I think Nick’s asleep so we have to be quiet,” Joe told Kourtney.

Kourtney frowned. “What about Kim? Isn’t she here with him?”

“She’s out of the country to visit her mother for her birthday at the moment,” he replied, as they entered his room.

Kourtney walked over to his bed and plopped herself down on it.

“So I’m taking that we’re on good terms again?” he asked.

She nodded. “I guess so. I mean, how can I stay mad at you for all the things you’ve done for me?”

Joe smiled back and kissed her gently on the forehead. “I’m glad to hear that, then.”

Kourtney rolled over, giving Joe room to sleep on the bed. He slid under the sheets and turned his bedroom light off. “Good night, Kourtney,” he yawned.

“’Night, Joe.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I think this might be my favourite chapter by far! :)
Comments? Banners? Subscribe?