Status: Don't get your hopes up....

What's the Point in All the Screaming, No One's Listening

Chapter 2

First I saw the crowd sitting in the wooden benches. There were a lot of them. The crowd seemed much bigger since I walked up to the stand. I refused to look at any of the faces, even the familar ones.

I was about to glance over at the jury when Reeves slowly stood up. He straight his suit and looked up towards me. His bright blue eyes were soft as they stared into mine. They seemed to say something he had told me a thousand times before today. Everything will be fine. I finally exhaled after what seem liked forever. My heart started to beat again. I folded my hands softy in my lap.

Reeves walked to the center of the space between the table and witness stand. And in a soft but firm voice he asked "Ms. Hadley, you are the daughter of Sara and John Hadley, right?"

"Yes." Reeves told me that he would have ask my about my family. It was necessary for the jury to understand who I was. But it still made my feel slightly stupid.

"Please tell the court your full name." Reeves paced a little toward the left.

"Danielle Anne Lucy Hadley." My father and mother were indecisive on what my middle name should be so they gave me two. Personally, I would have preferred just one middle name. Anne Hadley was my father's mother. Lucy Stark was my mother's mother. I never met either one of them, they both died before I was born. As the thought of death passed through my mind, my stomach twisted again.

"And how old are you?" My eyes remained on him as Reeves walked closer to the defendants table, the table I had yet to look at.

"16." The questioning went on like this for a few more minutes. Reeves just asking me simple questions, so the jury could know more about you I was as a person. I wasn't sure how they could know when I didn't even know who I was.