Status: Don't get your hopes up....

What's the Point in All the Screaming, No One's Listening

Chapter 3

After a few more pointless questions, Reeves asked the question I dreaded answering. "Now Ms. Hadley, will you please tell the court what happened on the night of January the 8th." Reeves moved away from the table I was determined not to look at. He walked slowly over the jury stand and leaned against the wooden barrier.

I took a deep breath and exhaled slowly before I opened my mouth. As I answered, I thought back to the night that I never wanted to visit again. "It was a Saturday night...."

I recited the story I told so many times, it no longer bothered me. Nothing bothered me anymore, I was completely and totally numb. And I liked it that way. I told the courtroom full of people, many of them I didn't know, about how my world had fallen to pieces. It didn't so much as fall but it collapsed upon me, crashing me beneath so I couldn't escape. Over the pass six months I had only been able to shift under the debris that was life enough to breath comfortably. I wondered if I would able be to lift my world back up. I seriously doubted it at this point. I have seen things no person should see. I have been through things no person should go through.

I had witness my boyfriend murder two people. He then threatened my life if I told anyone. But the most disturbing thing was that deep down I wasn't surprised. I was expecting something to go wrong. It's not that I'm a pessimist, but the fact that I knew a lot about the man I love.....or use to love. I loved him, that I am sure of. Maybe I loved him too much. Maybe I had some how brought all this on myself by loving this man. This man's name is Seamus O'Grady. An important member of the O'Grady crime family. His father, Liam O'Grady, was the boss of the Irish mob that had been plaguing New York for almost a century. As you can probably tell, I'm great at picking men.