My Life

The early years

I grew up without parents. Sure they'd come around once in a while. But it's like they were never there. So you could say, I was raised by my Nana. I don't think my folks were around for my first birthday. My first birthday cake was from McDonalds. I don't remember seeing my mom, or dad, in the early years. Heck, I may have been even too young to even remember the early years. Still, I knew they weren't there. My mom was a drug addict. And my dad cheated on my mom while she was pregnant with me. So you could say, that they hated each other (which they still do today). So both felt strange around me. As if I didn't belong to either of them.

Without my parents being around, I felt different from the other kids at school. How their mom's and dad's would come to pick them up from school. When they would get kissed goodbye from their parents. And at show & tell, when they would have photo's of their birthday parties...their parents were always in the photo's. All I had from my parents, was my first teddy bear.

One day, I overheard my mom talking to one of her friens in the dining room. They were talking about a party, I'm guessing so they could go and get high. 'Do you think Angelica will be okay? I mean, don't get me wrong but, you're hardly enough of a mother to her already. If we do this, we may nnot even come back for days.' her friend told her. 'She'll be fine,' my mom replied 'That's why her Nana takes care of her. I don't trust anyone else with my kid. And what do you mean I'm hardly a mother? Im here enough, just enough that she knows that I love her.'

That's what she thought...