Untouched

Before

Part 1: the beginning

I sat patiently in the waiting room, with at least ten other anxious fathers like me. There were other things I should be doing, and would be doing for the World, that had to wait. M would be mad, but I had to see my child, see if it would be like me with all the powers I have. Yes, supernatural anything is my specialty, including most every fighting style. Then the nurse that worked with my office came to me.
“Xavier Lake,” she said smiling, “Your wife and... daughter are waiting for you.”
Without a word, I ran to the delivery room, almost forgetting not to go inhumanely fast. Once out of sight, I teleported into the room. Dawn was holding a pink bundle in her thin, teenage, 16 years old arms. She looked proud, and her thoughts glowed with smugness and joy.
Just look at her, she thought. What should we name her?
“Jayden Juno,” I said, and took her in my arms, testing how much she was like me. I was startled, she had 100% my power capability. Underground training, here we come.
She’s like you, isn’t she? She looked shocked, but she smiled. It’s okay baby, it’ll work out... somehow.

And that was my first rule as a parent.

The first few months of Jay’s life were the most comforting and terrifying of them all. She can hover and use telepathy any time she wants, and the normal stuff is good too. When the boss met her, we worked out an enrollment program around her nights and days schedules. She learned quick, and at five could go to school during the day, and at night she would go and learn with other Undergrounders. She is so good at this, she could take my job, someday. Something strange has been going on, and my new mission is difficult. I have to find Stagmir Watermich, the notorious mass-murderer of humans and Undergrounders alike, that has evaded capture for a century. I have a new lead, and plan a stakeout after I drop off Jay.

“Tonight I’ll be late, alright?” I said to Dawn. She handed me a cup of ‘coffee’, boiled Vamp blood. I sipped heartily.
Of course, another mission, she said. Remember, come back before dawn.
“Of course,” I said, kissing her. “Gotta go.”
Jay came down the stairs, looking adorable in her jeans and crop top.
“Time to go, Daddy?” she asked.
“Yes, Honey,” I said, and I took her to the Jeep, and buckled her in.
When I got to her to the old tunnels, Bobby greeted me ecstatically.
“Hey Zave,” He said, “catch him will ya, he killed my wife, and is.... abusing my Angela.”
“Of course, buddy,” I said, and I got into the Jeep. Three miles away from location, by car broke down. When I got out to check the engine, a hand covered my mouth, a cloth over my eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
What Just happened? tune in to find out