Join the Band

This was going to be interesting

And I got my hands up,
They’re playin’ my song
I know I'm gonna be ok
Yeah, It's a party in the USA
Yeah, It's a party in the USA


I had come out of my room to watch TV so I’d stop listening to music, stop being reminded of things through lyrics. But of course the only channels with anything half decent on they were the music ones, and now I had a Miley Cyrus induced headache. Sighing I began to flick through the channels, trying not to notice the time. It was an hour before the Battle of the Bands semi-finals, and Controlled Frenzy weren’t going to be there. I hadn’t spoked to Matt or Jai but Nate had explained what had happened between them. Of course I blamed myself, it was my fault, but I stuck to my theory that them seeing less of me would be better. Zane flopped down next to me and scoffed when he saw what I had settled on (Hannah Montana) but didn’t look at me. He wasn’t talking to me. Or Matt and Jai, for that matter. I didn’t blame him. This band was his baby and I had practically punched him in the stomach and made him have a miscarriage.
“I’m sorry Zane.” I murmured, glancing up at him. He glared over at me but his expression quickly softened at my wince and he sighed.
“I can’t say; ‘it’s ok,’ Haylz. This was our big shot. I really thought we had a chance of winning this thing.” He looked away and sighed again. I could practically see the sadness radiating from his eyes. Guilt stabbed through me like a knife. I was personally responsible for the shattering of my brother’s dream. I couldn’t just sit back and take it.
“Get up.” I said suddenly, standing up. Zane looked up at me, confused, “Get changed and pack your van, we’re going to the semis.” He gaped at me.
“B-but...Matt and Jai.”
“I’ll call them and persuade them to put up with each other. They’ll listen to me.” I hoped. Zane frowned at me for a moment.
“Are you sure?”
“Yes, I’m sure! Now go, we don’t have alot of time.” He blinked, and then a smile crossed his face.
“Good luck with Matt and Jai.” He said before exiting the room. I picked up the phone, suddenly nervous, and dialed the first number.

~Matt’s POV~

“How’s your nose?” Haylee’s voice at the other end of the receiver caught me off guard. I wasn’t expecting to talk to her in a while.
“Uh, it’s fine. Just a bit bruised. He didn’t break it.” I explained, sure the confusion at her call was showing through my voice.
“That’s good.” She sounded relieved and I smiled a little.
“So what did you really call me for?” I asked, raising my eyebrows slightly.
“I need you to go get changed and grab your guitar. We’re going to the semis.”
“We...what?” I had thought it pretty obvious the band was broken up after Jai punched me in the face.
“Matt, we’re not crushing Zane’s dream now go. We’re picking you up in fifteen minutes.” She hung up and it was a few moments before I put the receiver down. If she’s calling Jai next, good luck to her. I thought as I headed up stairs to get changed.

~Jai’s POV~

“Hey Jai...”
“Haylee?” I exclaimed, cutting her off. When I picked up the phone she was the last person I was expecting at the other end.
“Yeah, Jai, it’s me. Just listen. I need you to go and get changed and come over as soon as possible. We’re going to the semis.” I frowned. What the hell was she on?
“Haylee, I can’t do that. I don’t know what I’ll do if I see you and Matt together.”
“Matt and I are not together. I’m not “together” with anyone, this is just four musicians who sound good together having the shot at stardom that Zane’s dreamed of.” She was trying to sound neutral but I could tell she was pleading with me. She really did care about her brother.
“Fine, we’ll do this.” I sighed.
“Thanks Jai.” She said before hanging up. This was going to be interesting.

~Haylee’s POV~

Thank the lord for car stereos. If it weren’t for Zane’s iPod connected up to his car speakers then there would have been silence on the way to the semis. And I would not have been able to handle that. I stared out the window, trying not to notice how Matt and Jai were sitting as far away from each other as possible on the back seat. Zane sighed and I guessed he was having the same thoughts I was - seriously doubting our ability to perform well like this. Jai reinforced our thinking by breaking the silence with;
“I don’t think we can do this.” Zane and I sighed in simultaneous agreement but Matt said;
“Come on guys, we’re amazing, we can pull through this. Haylee, we can do this right?” I looked back and him and saw him staring back at me thick I was the only person who could get everyone to agree. Like my word was law.
“Don’t look at her like that.” Jai grumbled. Matt rolled his eyes.
“You can’t dictate how someone should and shouldn’t look at someone else.” He muttered, staring out the window again.
“Fuck off.” Jai scoffed.
“Or what? You’ll hit me again? Coz we all know how well that worked out last time.”
“Shut up!” Jai yelled, snapping his head around to Matt. I turned back to the front and pulled my feel up on the seat, burring my face in my knees. I didn’t want to hear this.
“Maybe you are right, maybe we can’t do this. You look like you’re about to punch something. That anger and a drum kit can’t be a good combination.” Matt continued, not noticing my discomfort. But Zane did.
“Oi guys, lay off will you!” He yelled, turning around to them. I started out the front window and watched the lights coming closer. They were turning red but Zane wasn’t slowing.
“Zane!” I said, trying to alert him.
“What?” He said, turning around, “Oh shit!” He slammed on the breaks but it was too late, we were already halfway through the intersection and a car was heading straight for us.
“ZANE!”
♠ ♠ ♠
-cough- yup.

lyrics: Party in the USA - Miley Cyrus