Join the Band

How are you so confident?

~Haylee’s POV~

“What do you mean? We missed the semi’s.” Zane said, glancing over at me with a confused frown. I shrugged, my face mirroring his.
“Actually, you didn’t. The officials heard about your crash and decided to postpone the semi’s since you guys were the favorites from the heats.” Then she gasped, “Ohmygosh, I almost forgot, are you all ok?”
“We’re fine, what do you mean they postponed the semi’s? How come you’re telling us instead of them?” Zane asked, frowning down at the phone.
“Joe offered to give you the information, said something like ‘I need to make sure they’re ok anyway.’ But he had no intention of telling you. It was his plan all along to make you guys fight, break you up so we would win. But the way he was gloating, like he made the crash happen himself, he just took it too far.” I stared, wide eyed at the phone. So this had been Joe’s plan all along? I went to say something about how we wouldn’t be able to play anyway when Zane covered my mouth with his hand.
“Thanks, Coralie. So what are the details?” He said. I frowned at him as she answered.
“The semi’s have been moved to next Saturday, 2 o’clock, as before. Please don’t tell Joe it was me who told you. He’ll probably figure it out eventually, but I want a fair chance at winning too.” Zane was nodding.
“Done. Good luck next week.”
“Thanks, you too.” You could almost hear her smiling as she hung up.

“What the hell? How are we supposed to play without you?” I demanded the moment Zane took his hand off my mouth to put his phone away.
“We’ll figure something out. I may not be bassist anymore but I’m still manager, and I’m not going to let you guys give up.” I shook my head.
“I’m sorry, but not only do we not have you anymore, I highly doubt Jai’s gonna talk to either Matt or me for a long while. We’re not gonna get him back in the band in a week!” I pointed out.
“I wouldn’t be too sure about that.”
“How are you so confident?” He shrugged.
“I just...really need this to happen. I need all my hard work for the band not to be for nothing or I’ll go insane. We’ve had all this shit lately, something good’s bound to happen at some point.”
“Life would be so much easier if everyone was as optimistic as you.”
“It would. Now go back to your room and sleep. We get out of here tomorrow, we’ll discuss this with the others when we get home.”

~~~~

“So let me get this straight. The semis have been postponed because we were in a car accident, and you still expect us to play without you?” Matt was staring with a (cute) confused look on his face at Zane who was sitting across from him on an arm chair. Jai sat next to Matt and was staring at the wall behind him while I paced back and forth behind them. Matt and Jai in the same room was freaking me out slightly.
“Pretty much.” Zane said, nodding at Matt.
“Sorry, but how?”
“Matt, you can play bass right, Haylee can play guitar and sing.” I paused.
“Zane, I have enough trouble singing in front of people, how am I supposed to play as well?”
“And I really am not that skilled at bass.”
“Guys, calm down. It’s all going to fail because I’m never picking up a pair of drum sticks again.” We all turned at stared at Jai, his quiet comment causing us to go silent.
“Why?” I asked finally.
“Because I’ve lost my inspiration. I don’t have you anymore Haylz, and Joe used me to destroy us. I don’t deserve my so-called talent.”
“But Jai…” He put up his hand, cutting me off.
“Just...find another drummer.” He said, walking out. I watched him leave and flopped down on the couch, pulling my knees into my chest and burying my face in them.
“We can’t do this without him.” Matt said quietly.
“Don’t you dare give up on me too,” I snapped, looking over at him.
“I just think...we can’t survive this one,” he couldn’t look me in the eye.
“We can. We always do. We have to,” I was pleading. I refused to accept was Matt was saying, but I couldn’t help the rational part of my brain telling me he was right.
“Not in time for Battle of the Bands. I’m sorry Hayley,” he lent over and kissed the top of my head before standing up, shooting an apologetic loot at Zane, and following Jai out the door.

There was silence for a moment as I felt my whole world crash around me. Then Zane broke it with four words spoke with such defeat that it broke my heart;
“Maybe next year Halyz.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I AM SO SO SO SORRY IT TOOK SUCH AN INCREDIBLY LONG TIME FOR ME TO POST THIS. especially when I said at the end of the last one that it was going to end soon.
school has just completely taken over everything and I just wasn't in the right mind set to write this.
HOPEFULLY, I should be able to write out the next part in the next few days before I get stuck into serious study...hopefully...