Join the Band

I can't do this

My mind was blank. All I could think about were his lips on mine, my lips on his. Hands tangled in each others hair, body’s pressed close together. Then I realised what I was doing.
“I can’t do this.” I said moving away from him.
“Why not?” Jai demanded, surprising me with the fierceness of his voice.
“Because…you're my best friend Jai! I just don’t know what to think.”
“You’ve said that already…” He mumbled.
“Well because it’s true!” I exploded making Jai wince. I froze seeing the hurt look on his face.
“I guess I’ll just go.” He began walking towards the door.
“Jai…” I called after him, but he was already gone. And I was crying, collapsed on my floor, head on my knees, soaking my jeans with my tears. Suddenly I feared band practise this afternoon, and not for the reason I usually did.

~Matt’s POV~

I knew something was up the moment Haylee come down, 10 minutes late, for practice. Her eyes were faintly bloodshot and Jai didn’t even look up. She sighed as she passed him and made her way to the mike.
“Sorry I’m late guys, let’s just do this.” She said avoiding eye contact with everyone. I shot a quick glance at Zane but he shook his head as if to say ‘just leave her.’

Coz we belong together now, yeah
Forever united here somehow, yeah
You got a piece of me, and honestly
My life would suck, with…


“I can’t do this, I’m sorry guys.” We stopped playing as Haylee ran out the back door into her backyard. We all looked at Jai.
“Forget it guys.” He muttered, not meeting out eyes. He threw his drumsticks down and hurried up the stairs and out of the room. There was an awkward pause as Zane and I looked at each other and tried to comprehend what had happened.
“Ok, you go after Jai, I’ll follow Haylz. We have to get to the bottom of this.” I said finally. Zane nodded, and with that we exited.

I found Haylee just out side, standing with her head against a tree.
“Haylee? Are you ok?” She turned around, there were tears streaming down her face, “Oh Halyz!” I wrapped my arms around her as she buried her head in my shoulder. I waited as she cried, standing in silence. A long moment passed before she finally looked up at me with dry eyes.
“You wanna sit?” she asked, her voice thick as she stepped away from me. I nodded and we sat on a bench. And she told me what had gone down with Jai, “…And then he left and I just collapsed into tears. Matt I don’t know what to do because I think he hates me now and out friendship’s never going to be the same again. And, I mean, I think I kinda, sorta…love…him.” She was staring intently at the leaf she was pulling apart but I saw a few more tears fall.
“Haylee, you need to tell him that. There’s no way in hell he’s capable of hating you, and you know that one way or another your relationship’s going to change. Just make it a change for the better.” She looked up at me.
“Dude, remind me to never call you dumb.” I smiled.
“So you’re gonna take my advice?” She smiled back at me.
“Yeah, I’ll try. Thank you so much Matt, you’ll make some lucky girl very happy one day.” She said, kissing my forehead before walking away. Suddenly I was very sorry to see her go…
♠ ♠ ♠
lyrics - My Life Would Suck Without You - Kelly Clarkson

first a cliffhanger now a plot twist...whatever will happen next??