Join the Band

You guys are up next.

[Part eight]

~Haylee’s POV~

Someone like you, somebody
Someone like you, somebody
Someone like you, somebody
I've been roaming around, I was looking down at all I see


The first heats for Battle of the Bands had arrived and we were sitting in the dressing room, playing Paramore’s acoustic version of Use Somebody, warming up and working out our nerves. I smiled over at Jai who was sitting on the floor, hitting it with his drumsticks. He smiled back and winked, and I got the flutter in my stomach I got every time he did something like that. I still couldn’t believe my song worked and we were together.
“Controlled Frenzy? You guys are up next so gather backstage.” A crew member said as he stuck his head in our dressing room. Suddenly my stomach jumped to my throat and my hands began to shake. Jai pulled me into a big embrace.
“Deep breaths babe, you’re going to be ok.” He said rubbing my back and leading me out the door. I took a few deep breaths, linking my hand with his as we stood in the wings. I caught a glimpse of the audience and felt my stomach convulse as if I was going to throw up.
“I can’t do this.” I whispered, burying my head in Jai’s shoulder. I felt another hand stroking my hair.
“It’s ok, channel that nervous energy into you’re voice, like we practiced.” Matt said, rubbing my shoulder with his other hand. I took another deep breath and centred myself, taking comfort in the hands that held me. We had practiced this, bringing people in to our band practices so I could get used to people watching me. But the biggest number I’d sung in front of was around 15. There were hundreds of people out there. But as Jai kissed the top of my head, Matt’s fingers filtered through my hair and even Zane linked his fingers in mine I realised these three boys were counting on me, and I had to do this, for them. Calm spread through my body, not strong enough to shut up all my nerves, but enough to give me strength. The band before us finished and the call went out for us to set up. I stepped away from the boys.
“Let’s do this.”

I stepped on stage, still holding Jai’s hand, as the MC talked to the audience while we set up. My stomach clenched as I saw all the people in the audience; the general interested crowd, the friends and families of the bands and the few judges scattered around holding clipboards. As the boys plugged in and sound checked their instruments I went and stood behind my mike, adjusting the stand to my height. My hands were shaking and my breaths getting caught in my throat and I almost dropped the entire thing. I looked up and caught Nate’s eye. He was sitting in the third row with a few other friends who had come to support us. He smiled at me and held up a sight that read “WE HEART HAYLEE!” He winked and turned it over, revealing the side that read “JUST BREATHE.” I exhaled and smiled back at him as I finished adjusting my mike.
“So here they are, Controlled Frenzy!” The crowed cheered and I shot a quick look at Matt. He smiled back reassuringly, as he started playing, and nodded at me as my cue came up. Taking yet another deep breath and thinking about the boys I loved, I opened my mouth and began to sing.

Everybody sing like it’s the last song you will ever sing
Tell me, tell me, can you feel the pressure?
Tell me; tell me, can you feel the pressure?
We were born for this
We were born for this
We were born for this


I had done it. Not all that well, but I had done it. I’d sung in front of a shit load of people and not thrown up. Some how I’d made it through the three songs we’d had and not screwed up too badly and it was all thanks to my three amazing boys. Jai had run up to me and grabbed my hand as we exited the stage.
“Congratulations love.” He whispered in my ear, kissing my check.
“You really were amazing.” Matt said, beaming at me.
“Kudos sis.” Zane said high-fiving me. I grinned at them all.
“Thank you guys; I could have never done that without you!” I exclaimed, ecstatic.
“That’s what we’re here for.” Zane grinned. We turned a corner in the corridor leading to our dressing room, and ran straight into Joe…
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry it's so shit....but the important part is the last line...
heheh, cliffhanger AGAIN!!
yes I know I'm evil...

Lyrics: Use Somebody - Kings of Leon (but they played the Paramore version)
Born for This - Paramore.