Status: Finished.

This Empty Love

Chapter 16

“Oliver will never fall for something like this.” I said loudly, making sure Cara could hear me from the other side of the Victoria’s Secret dressing room. “It’s too, nightgown-ish. I loath nightgowns.”

Despite what I said, I walked out of the stall and stood in front of Cara, placing on hand on my hip. She began to laugh, steadying her sweet tea as she bent over, silent giggles erupting from her throat. She shook her head “no” over and over.

Cara calmed down. “That’s like, I’m-a-virgin-on-my-wedding-night status.” She said through giggles. “So not the style we’re looking for. Here, try this.” She shoved a new hanger in my hands and turned me around.

I held up the newest article of clothing, if you could call it that, and came to the conclusion that it just looked like a skimpy tank top with panties. None the less, I put it on and stepped out of the changing room again.

“Well?” I asked, turning in a circle as if to model the lack of fabric on my body.

She tilted her head to the side. “It’s cute, but not quite. There needs to be a bit more lace.” She said, handing me her next choice.

“You know,” I started to say, wiggling into the newest skimpy outfit I was given, “You’ve seen me in more lingerie than Oliver ever has. Which, is kind of odd considering I’ve only tried on six things.”

I heard her lean against the wall near the stall. “Well, as much as I love seein’ yeh in lacy get-ups, I’m sure he’d enjoy it a whole lot more.” She commented.

After hooking the garters in place, I stared at my reflection for a moment, studying how I looked. I honestly didn’t like this set at all. “This looked much better on the mannequin, seeing as it was abnormally thin. I don’t think average people can look great in pure lace.”

Cara peaked her head inside and grimaced. “Yeah, no offense, but I’m not diggin’ it.” She chewed on her lip and thought. “Maybe you just need a sexy pair of bra and panties, because the whole lingerie thing is too out of your element.”

“You think?” I replied sarcastically and disappeared back into the stall.

Fifteen minutes and a good twelve different bras later, Cara and I finally came to an agreement on what we thought was best. It only took us the whole hour we were in the shop to figure out something simple and lightly laced was all I needed. Of course, I filled it out much better than the mannequin, and yeah, it wasn’t extremely flashy or slutty, but it fit the Taylor that Oliver fell in love with and that’s all I needed.

&&

“That’s way too girly, sexy for me.” I protested, hot potatoing the clothes Cara gave me back to her. “Not my thing. Plus, Oli and I are staying in tonight, no need to doll me up.”

Cara glanced at me, still rifling through her closet. “When it comes to Oliver, there’s always a reason to doll up. Yeh ‘ave been dating him for what, like two months officially, maybe more if yeh count beginin’ of the summer?” She sounded as if she was talking to herself. “And yeh ‘aven’t been ‘round Sheffield long enough to know the type of girls Oli chases. They’ll give yeh a good run for your money.”

“Cara,” I stopped her rambling. “that’s just the thing, I’ve lasted two months in my own wardrobe, and he’s still chasing me. I mean, if I’m like the other girls he’s dated, he’s already gotten what he wanted, why not move on to the next victim?”

She glared at me, mad that I was right and she was wrong. Cara would never admit it though, she was too stubborn. So instead she just ignored me, didn’t reply, and continued to fish through her wardrobe hoping to convince me into an outfit.

“This is fun and all, watching you get frustrated with me I mean, but I have to be at Oliver’s in ten minutes.” I told Cara, standing up from her bed. “Care to take me, or are you looking for Jimmy Hoffa?”

“Who the hell is Jimmy Hoffa? Is that another American thing? Never mind, let’s just go.” She rambled some more and grabbed her keys off her dresser. “Hopefully your worn jeans and plain tank don’t scare him away.”

Five minutes later, Cara successfully pulled up to Oliver’s house and kicked me out of the car. Not bothering to wait around and see if she’d run me over, I hurried up to Oliver’s door and knocked loudly.

“Aye Taylor.” It was Tom who answered the door. He stepped aside, not missing a beat. “Oli’s up in his room, get to it.”

“Thanks Tommy.” I replied, already halfway down the hall, “We still on for Sunday night games?”

Not waiting for a reply, I disappeared around the corner and approached Oliver’s door. I knocked lightly before opening it and peaking inside. “Oli?” I called, stepping into the room.

“Oi, wasn’t expecting yeh for another fifteen minutes. Knew yeh were with Cara, that can always take a while.” He replied, coming out of the bathroom connecting to his room.

Oliver was missing a shirt, only wearing a dark pair of skinny jeans, and his hair was still damp from a shower. I watched as a drop of water fell from his dark hair to his shoulder, sliding down his chest. My eyes flickered back up to his face, studying him as he smirked at me.

“What?” I questioned, finally realizing the look on his face. I was going to play it off like I didn’t just ogle over him.

He grinned and shook his head. “Nothin’, just nothin’.” He replied and stepped forward, kissing me quickly. “Hello to yeh too.”

I blushed. “Hi.” My voice was quiet, knowing he’d caught me swooning over him. Like he was helping anyways. I was still somewhat shy around him, knowing that out of so many girls that fancied him, I was the one he picked. It was a little overwhelming.

He smiled at me again and stepped even closer, wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me into his bare chest, out lips coming together. I didn’t have time to deepen the kiss or loop my arms around his neck because he pulled back, smirking.

Oliver turned around, walking to his dresser, probably in search for a t-shirt leaving me to gawk at him. Finally, I kicked off my shoes and sat Indian style on his bed, trying to distract myself from watching him. Stacked on the other corner of the bed was a small collection of movies, ready to be picked out and played. I sifted through the stack, being too picky for my own good.

“Yeh have looked at each movie twice now.” Oliver said, sitting down next to me. “Pick quick, or I’m goin’ to.”

I turned away from him, holding the movies out so he couldn’t grab them from me as I debated between two. I felt his body lean in close to mine, his head almost resting on my shoulder.

“You’re trying to chose between The Godfather and Fight Club, aren’t yeh?” Oliver questioned, his breath hitting my neck and sending chills down my spine.

I tried to keep my voice stable. “I get the feeling Godfather will be way too long for how much time we have.” I was going to talk myself in a circle if I didn’t shut up now.

“Or,” He pressed his lips gently against my neck, “maybe it will give you a reason to stay over tonight.” He reached around my torso and took the movie out of my hands, nipping my neck before getting up off the bed and putting the movie in the DVD player.

We wouldn’t watch the movie anyways.