Roseabel

Thought I ran into you down on the street

“Roseabel are you coming, or am I just sitting outside with my car running just for my enjoyment.” I opened my window and shouted at the man in the old green convertible.

“Jeeze… Billie. Shut up, I’m almost done!” Shutting the window, I turned around and saw my mother and father standing in my doorframe.

“ Okay, got all your stuff. I think Joe is waiting.” I chuckled and hugged my dad. Billie Joe hated to be called Joe, but as my dad was his brother he had to put up with the name.

“Yes, but we’ll miss you so much.” My mom said giving me a kiss on the cheek.

“ And don’t get in trouble with all the boys around you,” Dad playfully warned.

“Okay, love you guys but I really have to go now.” I hugged my parents each once and then grabbed my two vintage-leather duffle bags, my violin in its case, and my cool tote bag that I called a purse.

“Bye, Hunny”

“See you girl”

I threw my stuff on the backseat of Billie’s car and jumped over the door and into the passenger seat. Billie gassed the car, and I waved to my parents as my final goodbye.

“So what’s up, girlfriend?” Billie said, stopping for a red light and looking at me.

“Excuse me,” I giggled.

“Just kidding, long time no see. I missed you, you’re like the only cool one in our family.”

“Awww… thanks. I missed you too. So where are we going again, favorite uncle.” Billie lurched the car forward on the first sign of the green light.

“Well, favorite niece, as I told you before your going on tour with me and my band because we need bonding time.” He drew quotation marks in the air as he said bonding time.

I laughed, “So what’s your band name, where are we touring and who with?”

“Do you not know who Green Day is?” Billie said, disbelief echoed in his voice.

“Sorry, no.”

“What!” Billie hit the break and looked at me.

“BILLIE JOE ROAD!” I screeched.

“Well, were going to fix that,” He gassed again and slid a CD in the audio system of the car. The words ‘Don’t want to be an American idiot’ ran through the car. Billie laughed as I jumped at the noise and he changed the song. “This one’s called Whatsername.”

Thought I ran into you down on the street
Then it turned out to only be a dream
I made a point to burn all of the photographs
She went away and then I took a different path
I remember the face but I can't recall the name
Now I wonder how whatsername has been

Seems that she disappeared without a trace
Did she ever marry old what's his face?
I made a point to burn all of the photographs
She went away and then I took a different path
I remember the face but I can't recall the name
Now I wonder how whatsername has been

Remember, whatever
It seems like forever ago
Remember, whatever
It seems like forever ago
The regrets are useless
In my mind
She's in my head
I must confess
The regrets are useless
In my mind
She's in my head
From so long ago

And in the darkest night
If my memory serves me right
I'll never turn back time
Forgetting you, but not the time.

As the song finished he sighed and turned off the stereo. “Billie, your band is really awesome, I’m so glad I get to go on tour with you guys.” He smiled and parked the car in his drive way. He patted my head and messed my hair up.

“I’m glad you liked it.” He got out of the car and grabbed my duffle bags. I picked up my purse and violin case and followed him into his house. Leading me up the stairs, Billie told me a little about his band and that I was going to meet them later on. “Here you get the guest bedroom, sorry for all the junk. I didn’t get around to straightening it up.” This room was no guest room. There were at least three guitars sitting around, a keyboard, and various musical supplies skated around the room.

There’s a bed, so I don’t have to sleep on the floor.

“Billie can I play your keyboard for a sec?” I asked, piano was my second passion after violin.

“Yeah, sure. I didn’t know you played?” He sat down next to me; I laid my fingers on the keys and started a C scale.

“One of my hidden talents,” I smirked as I led into Beethoven’s Pathetique Sonata.

“Wow. I don’t know what that is, but it’s really good.”

“Thanks, it’s the Pathetique Sonata.”

“And you expect me to know what that is,”

“It’s Beethoven.”

“Aw.” He let in breath. “Wow, you’re good.”

I silently express amusement and continued with the piece. After finishing, Billie left so I could change and get ready for bed. He suspiciously took my ipod when he left but I didn’t question him. Once he took my ipod and uploaded 500 pictures of him. I laughed at the memory and grabbed my current book out of my tote bag. Les Miserable, the miserable ones. As I flipped it open, Billie walked in the door.

“Hey,” He said sitting on the end of my bed.

“Hey,”

“So your tackling Les Mis.” He laughed as he looked at my book. “In French too. I read it in English a couple years ago and it still hasn’t sunk in yet.” I laughed.

Billie is so funny, it’s a shame he doesn’t have kids.

“So, umm… I’ll wake you up around five-ish cause we have to leave by six-ish cause we have to be by the airport by seven-ish and our flight leaves around nine-ish.”

“Okay, night BJ”

“Good night, Roseabel.” And he left, leaving my ipod on the bedside table and closing the door behind him.