Status: Definite Hiatus

Stranded Memories

Five

The sun ferociously beat down on the unsuspecting street, Violet with it as she rushed down it, finally free from school. It was clear she was on a mission by the jay walking and number of cars she left in her wake honking their horns in aggrevation. None of it seemed to register for very long in her mind as the drug store finally came into view.

Violet wasn't sure if it had been her mind giving her what she wanted, making her believe after reliving the memories of what had happened that William might've been flirting with her. There was a simply acceptance that she could be delusional and merely imagining it all, but Violet was willing to risk it to know. The two day's that had passed since then had only increased her borderline paranoia, a consequence of going to such a competitive school that demanded the time and precision you would expect to find in the Third Reich for a mere two extra points on a test.

The doors were within her reach when Violet stopped just outside them, desperately trying to fix her disheveled appearance. A few strands of her hair clung to her damp face, which was red with exertion. Fixing her smudged eyeliner, Violet was very grateful she'd decided to spare these few moments to fix herself up first.

As she'd hoped William was at the counter, a carbon copy of himself just like he was that first day. He leaned lazily across the counter, dishevled hair disturbed lightly in the wake of the breeze that had followed Violet inside. This draft caught his attention, refocusing it on her.

Whether he recognized her or not she wasn't sure as she feigned obliviousness, hard to get if you will. She didn't chance a glance on her walk to get a bottle, not as she walked back. Not until she got to the register did she see his smirk.

"Long time no see." He murmured, taking the drink from her hand, fingers brushing against hers.

________________________________________________________________________________

Violet talked with William as the minutes of his shift ticked by. Minutes turned into a half hour they passed talking, the drink she bought now left an empty plastic bottle.

"Wait, you have free periods?" She asked in surprise.

William seemed to mirror her emotion as he had explained being on the clock since one. The clock now read four twenty-two.

"Yeah I got enough credits to graduate so I get my last two periods off. Why is that so shocking?"

With a laugh Violet explained.

The school she went to could only be described as elite. within it's walls academics became competition with a likeness to Russian gymnastics. Children were tested young, put on the waiting list as young as a few days old. Time was spent studying and testing, studying and testing so much so that Violet almost forgot there was a world outside.

With her story it was her parents who had enrolled her into this life. The best intentions had been there at first, wanting their only child to have the best future possible, but over time they too had caught the bug. It started with the after school study hall, the morning tutorials, by the time she got the tutor Violet knew she was in too deep.

"Maybe they just want what's best for you." He suggested feebly at the initial surprise at the rigors of her life.

Violet rolled her eyes.

"You know the friends I have, all four of them, they seem nice on the outside but the one pop quiz or homework assignment they turn into selfish monsters hoping I fail. These are my friends, since third grade." She sighed in resignation. "Aside from clarinet recitals I've never been to a show, or a party. You would think rich kids party hard but no, not at my school, cause they have an interview or another fucking test in the morning."

In this rant Violet realized how sad her life was. She was so desperate for change she had honestly considered such things as bank robbing just for something different. This she told William, with a half smile he realized to soften the gravity of her words.

"Even if it wasn't so intense or narrow minded I would still hate it. It's like we're being trained to replace the corporate head, the ones who defend smoking or testing on animals. I feel like I could do something better than that."

William met her gaze, his brown eyes clear and honest, like a foreshadowing of his response.

"So why don't you?" He asked.

Despite her thousand dollar education, the kind you could put a price tag on, this thought had never entered into her mind. It was so simple she wondered why, until the answers came clear and easy that she had been exposed to the kind of elements to smother such ideas before they could ever be dreamed. Who would want something more when there was money to be made?

A slow smile slipped over her features. "Yeah... why don't I?"

William matched her grin setting the vest on the counter before he himself jumped across it, landing neatly beside her. Unslouched and side by side Violet looked up at him.

"Wow you're tall."

He chuckled, ruffling his hair in a manner that inclined nervousness.

"It helps you're not that short." William grinned, his hand moving with a purpose in his pocket.

A moment later there was a pen twirled awkwardly in his hand, moving enough to reveal the scrawls of ink in different stages of fade across his palm. If it weren't for the restrictions of their fragile friendship contrasted in the light of normal society rules, Violet would've reached over to read what he had written. But she didn't. Instead she watched as he took his pen and, after grabbing her receipt left forlorn on the table, scribbled something across it.

It took Violet a moment to make sense of the numbers.

"You're phone number?"

William smiled, shaking the stray bangs from his eyes. "I figured... maybe I could see you when I'm not at work."

He had rehearsed this line the past two days she had been gone, time he spent imagining the conversations they would have had while he stared off into the silent emptiness of the drugstore. Just as she didn't know this, William didn't know she spent those two afternoons wondering the same possibilites if she'd been there.

"I'm not sure I can picture you without the vest."

Still chuckling to himself, William let her take the pen he held loosely in his hand before she took his hand in hers. It was blank, the realization he was left handed coming with it as she filled the empty space with spiky black letters, signing Violet.

He smiled, taking back his hand. "I hope this doesn't mean you won't still stop by after school."

Violet grinned. "I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be."
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so TGIF right now, FTW.
It's been a long week... so tired...
I have to say enjoy the flashbacks of this story, mostly because I have the backstory so well laid out I probably could've written this in linear terms from beginning to end.
And because it's happy.
So, please comment, tell me what you think, how your week was, random shit, I love it all.

P.S. Happy birthday Mitch! (TalkingIsMyLife)