Is It a Good Idea to Microwave My Heart?

Chapter Seven.

We just sat around, joking like normal. Marie was demanding a piggy back ride from Riley, him finally giving in after she tackled him on the living room floor. Johnny kept moving his head to watch the football game.

"Dude, why the football game?" I asked, watching the tv, paying almost no attention to the two wrestling cousins. Marie was raised around boys, so she could take him, but I kept an eye on them to make sure.

"Eh, I dunno," he said, shrugging his shoulders and leaning back on the couch. He started to munch on kernel corn. I shook my head and smiled.

"Well you could save electricity and watch wrestling," I said, gesturing to the two on the floor. They both looked up and smiled.

"I just wanted a piggy back ride from my cousin...who I love..." Marie said, giving Riley a guilt trip. He sighed and gave in again and started a second lap around the apartment.

"Well while she's gone, I have a question to ask you," Johnny said, turning towards me.

"And that is?"

"How much do you really like Marie?"

"A lot Johnny, why do you ask?"

"Because I don't wanna put up with her if you broke up with her," He said, laughing.

I laughed too, and saw truth behind that.

"Let's go to the pond!" Marie screamed from the front room.

"The pond? You mean the fishing hole?" Johnny said, chuckling under his breath.

"It's a pond!"

"Fine, after the game!" Johnny screamed. I laughed, then went to the front room. Riley was in the process of dropping Marie. I quickly ran over and caught her before she hit the floor.

"Riley! What was that for?" I asked, helping Marie get to her feet.

"I don't know! I had her one minute, then the next she's almost in the floor!" Riley said.

"You have to go to school, I packed your lunch," she said, tossing him the paper bag.

"Thanks 'Mom'," He said, grabbing his backpack.

"Bye 'Son'," Marie said laughing.

"The game's boring!" Jonny yelled from the living room.

"Well!" Marie said, running into the room and jumping on Jonny,"Maybe we should go fishing!"

Jonny's phone vibrated on the table Marie and I were next to. Marie picked up the phone.

"Your mom wants us at her house," Marie said, walking to the tv and turning it off.

"Will you drive us?" Jonny asked.

"I'll drive Jory, but not you," She said, grabbing her keys.

"But why not me?"

"Because."

"Why?"

"Your last name is Paula," She said, hopping into her room. I followed and grabbed some clothes. I went to the bathroom like always and came out with her wearing a plaid babydoll top, skinny jeans, and some green converses.

I walked up behind her to see her putting eyeliner and eyeshadow on.

"You know you don't need make-up to be beautiful," I said, kissing her neck, wrapping my arms around her. She blushed and I smiled, seeing the goosebumps on her shoulders.

"Marie!" Jonny screamed happily.

"What?"

"We're playing cornhole tonight!" The smile she was smiling...I loved it.

"What's cornhole?"

"It's like a bean bag toss game," She said, smiling more.

"Awesome." I said. We walked to her car. It was a light green punch bug. It was adorable. She was on the driver's side. I pouted in the passenger's side.

"Do you want to drive?"

"No," I said, still pouting.

"What do you want then?

"A kiss," I said, smiling. She kissed me, then put her car into gear and drove to Jonny's parent's house.