Forgotten

Prologue

The dewy sharp grass whipped at Avis’s bare ankles, as she ran out of the woods as fast as she could, her breath puffing out in front of her.
The creature grabbed her by the long red locks streaming out behind her and flung her into the air. She landed face first on the ground, 10 feet away.
A horrifying crack rang through the air as her father shot at the creature. She lifted her head and saw it grab him by the neck and raise him into the air. Avis heard a sickening crack as the creature crushed her father’s neck in its pale grip. Fear and panic burned her heart like an iron to her chest.
In a panic, she crawled away as fast as she could while trying to stay close to the ground as much as possible. Hot tears poured down her face so much that she could barely see. With every inch she crawled, sharp pain from her chest consumed her.
A sudden, thunderous bang directly in front of her parlayed her in fear. She had never been so scared in her entire life. She squeezed her eyes shut and prayed that a branch had just fallen in front of her, but as she opened her eyes she saw the pale, white feet of the creature.
She flattened herself to the cold wet ground, panic flooding into her heart. The creature bent over and grabbed Avis’s arm. The icy smoothness of its hand sent shivers through her body. It pulled her upright until she was facing him. She opened her eyes, red irises glared at her hungrily. In less than a second, she was in his arms, his hard cold fangs at her neck. A single drop of blood ran down her neck as his nails pierced her skin.
His soft golden hair brushed her face as he bit into her neck. Her shrill scream sliced through the air like a dagger as it echoed through the deep woods, the last sound Avis would make as a human.