This Goes Out To, The Ones That Fall In Love

Tell Me Inside

I knocked on Jakes houses door, next door to the hell hole I grew up in. It was still pretty early in the morning, didn’t expect his parents to answer straight away. I waited for a minute or two before his mom opened the door.

“Oh Shay darling! What are you doing here? Are you ok? I’ve missed you. Why haven’t you been around lately?” She bombarded me with so many questions.

“Um, can I stay here for a while?”

“Oh my gosh, yes! But why? Tell me inside.”

She opened the door and I walked inside their house. It was huge, they had renovated in the few weeks I had been away, and it looked really nice. I put down all my stuff next to the door and sat down at the table. Jakes mom Terri was already waiting for me. I told her about meeting the band, getting together with Ronnie, our deal and him cheating on me. I left out the part about Jake leaving me at the concert, she would go rank at him for leaving me there, I was like the daughter she never had. She told me I could stay there as long as I needed to. She made me a hot chocolate and left me to drink it while she went to fix up the spare room for me. I thanked her and went up to my new bed, not bunk.

I couldn’t sleep. I just can’t believe Ronnie would do that. I really thought he had changed, and maybe he would even be a little sorry that he did it. My phone rang and I looked at the caller ID, it was Max. I answered.

“Hi Max.”

“Shay, where the fuck are you? We’ve been looking for you.”

“I’m at Jakes, Max, but please don’t come get me. I just want to get away, I don’t want to see him.”

“Shay, maybe you should just talk to him when he’s not drunk.”

“No! We’re over. Done. If he really cared about me, he wouldn’t have done what he did.” I was starting to cry again.

“He was drunk Shay, he didn’t know what he was doing.”

“Oh, so you’re on his side now?”

“I’m not on anyone’s side, I just, it was better when you were together, that’s all.”

“Well we’re not going to be,” Jake walked into the room, “I have to go, I’ll talk later.” I hung up.

Me and Jake talked for a while, I told him everything, he comforted me but I could tell he wanted to say “told you so!” Luckily he didn’t, or he would have been one dead little boy. We talked until midday. I checked the caller ID, it was Ronnie, I just let it ring out. He called every five minutes, I swear I could snap my phone in half. Instead, I just turned it off, it was lunchtime, but I really didn’t want to eat.

“Come on Shay, you have to eat sometime,” Jake pleaded.

“I will eat, just not right now. I’m not hungry anyway.” Jake sighed in defeat and went to make himself some macaroni and cheese.