It Was Never Supposed to Be Easy

A Room in Gold

The train ride was long and we spent most of it in silence. Draco was in a twitchy mood, jumping at small noises and irritably rubbing his arm where I knew the Mark to be. I watched him out of the corner of my eye and I had to stop myself from reaching out to him so many times.

He stared out of the window, watching the woods turn into city and then city into countryside. He watched it, but he didn’t seem to be really seeing any of it. His beautiful gray blue eyes stayed focus on one spot, and only when he slowly blinked did they lose focus.

He sat next to me, and I breathed in his smell. He smelled the same, that wonderful, indescribable smell. Just breathing it in brought me to the terrifying night in the library, where this all began. How wrong I was about him. How terrible, terribly wrong. Just remembering how wrong I had been brought me to the memory of us under the trees and the first time I had kissed him.

I had never told him what I had thought of him.

I turned to look at him. He was tapping the windowsill and staring out the window as if it was a wonderful television program.

I reached out to touch his arm. He was so thin, so thin. How had I not noticed?

“Draco?” I asked quietly.

He said nothing but instead turned to look at me.

I looked down at my hands; I couldn’t bear to look at him just now. This was hard enough without me looking into his heavy gaze.

“I love you.” I whispered.

For a moment, he did nothing. For a moment, I thought that I had ruined it all. We had never said those words. We had implied but never, never like this. This brutal honesty.

Then he was moving. His hands clasping around my own and he leaned forward, his head heavy on my shoulder. He buried his head in my neck and I felt his lips move against my skin as he whispered to me,

“I know.” He said. Almost as if it was a burden. Then he rose up to look me in the eye and gently placed his forehead against my own. So that we were nose to nose. His breath was hot against my cheek.

“And I love you.” He finally whispered.

He leaned forward and sank into my lips. I couldn’t help it, I smiled into the kiss. He loved me. He had said it. He loved me. We were happy.

I felt my heart flutter once, and then twice, as he too, smiled.

The long, shiny black car turned onto a tree-lined, gravel driveway protected by iron gates. I looked around through my window and felt my eyes widen at the sheer beauty of the grounds.

Velvety green grass melted into a stunningly beautiful garden, still in bloom, even though it was winter. The flowers drifted up a low hill where a large, stone house awaited. As we drove closer I could see stone pathways, statues and fountains, artfully placed around the house. A dozen or so house-elves walked these paths, clearing the walkways of debris. It didn’t look like a house in December; it looked like a house in the middle of a gorgeous summer day.

“Oh my goodness.” I said. “This is beautiful.”

I felt him place a slender hand on my back and then lean forward to look with me.

“Yes, yes I suppose it is.”

“How big is it?” I asked.

“Its 14th century stone, remodeled with all the modern comforts. There are 20 bedrooms, all with baths, two dining halls, a ballroom, and, you’ll like this, a library.”

“Oh my! Do you need all that space?”

He laughed and tugged at my curls. “It’s all for show Hermione. That’s all we wizards ever do. It’s all for show.”

“It must be hard to keep up with.” I noted.

“We have help.”

The car pulled to the front steps and a house-elf hurried to open the doors for us.

“Thank you.” I said kindly as I stepped out of the car. The house-elf jumped in surprise and looked at me through long lashes but said nothing.

Draco came around the car and placed a hand around my waist, the other, relaxed in his pocket.

“Usually, the Malfoy seal is flying when my father is home.” He said pointing to a flag pole at the top of the roof. “But…well, he’s not.”

“Where is he?” I asked. Mr. Malfoy was a pure-blood maniac. I was dreading coming face to face with him.

“Not here.” He said shortly. “Are you ready?”

“Yes, yes I guess so.” I answered, looking at him in surprise.

“Excellent.” He said leading the way into the giant oak doors.

Yet another house-elf opened the doors and I ground my teeth in anger. This was not a time to rant about S.P.E.W.

Malfoy tugged at my free hand and pointed to the ceiling.

“Look up.” He directed.

His ceiling was beautiful. It was a shimmering gold decorated with dragons, unicorns, mermaids…beautiful creatures that I could not even name. The pictures were moving, floating across the ceiling, making the gold come alive.

I was stunned, speechless; I could barely breathe at the beauty.

“I know.” Malfoy chuckled. “I think this is my favorite room in the house. When I was younger I would lie on the floor and watch it for hours.”

I nodded. I think anyone would. As soon as I had a chance, I wanted too!

Somewhere down the hall and door opened and then closed slowly. Draco looked in the direction of the noise and I saw his jaw tighten.

“That’ll be mother.” He said softly. “We had better go greet her.”

“Of course.” I said.

We walked slowly along the hall, Draco nearly dragging his feet.

“Are you all right?” I asked.

He only nodded, not looking me in the eye.

We came to a set of double doors and he grasped the gold knobs tightly. I saw his knuckles turn white.

He turned to look at me and opened his mouth as if to say something. Then he shook his head.

“I am so sorry.” He whispered.

“Draco, what are you taking about?” I asked, fear slicing me in half. Suddenly, the strange events began to fall into place.

And then Draco threw open the doors.

And I knew for sure.

The room was lovely. Done up in crimsons, dark greens and touches of gold, it was quite possibly the prettiest room I’ve ever seen.

But I did not notice that at first.

Instead I noticed a tall, slender man, his back to me, staring into the fire. He raised a spider like finger and I heard the door creak close.

And then he turned around.

And his lipless mouth curved into a smile.

“Thank you Draco.” He murmured.

It was Lord Voldemort.