It Was Never Supposed to Be Easy

A Trap

The release of the seventh Harry Potter book has posed difficult for me. I, like many of you, know how the book ends and I have had trouble writing this with that knowledge. I do not want any of you to be confused, this is not going to turn into a re-write. This is my version of their final year and nothing that happens in her book will happen in mine. I promise. This is not going to be a leak. So, if you haven't read the book, then by reading my story, your surprise will not be ruined.
Just wanted to make that clear...and with that...we continue.

*****************************************************************************************
Lord Voldemort stood tall in front of me and his glowing red eyes pulsed into my own. His crimson eyes. Harry had always had a look of terror when he described them, but never, never had I seen them up close.

Those red eyes promised me death.

He pulled a wand from his sleeve and pointed it at me and I was too frightened to move, to scream, to do anything. I was so sure that I was going to die. I was not going to die running, no, I would die standing, like Harry would.

He waved the wand, once, and my arms and legs snapped to my sides. I wobbled on the spot, having been hit by a Full Body-Bind.

Voldemort smiled his terrible smile and stepped close to me.

"How nice of you to join us for Christmas." he whispered.

All around me I could hear the chuckles of shadows. The shadows moved in, closer. Out of the corners of my frozen eyes I could just make out the masked figures. The Death Eaters.

Surely, I was going to die.

"Perhaps...perhaps Harry Potter will join us as well....wouldn't that be...nice." He hissed. The laughter continued, and I felt pure fear bubble in my stomach.

No. NO! Surely Harry wouldn't be dumb enough to fall for this. Surely, he would see the similarities between this situation and poor Sirius'. Surely he would ignore it. Surely, he would see it as another trap.

"Ah...but it is not to Harry that we will send our greetings." Voldemort continued in a whisper.

He was in my head. He was listening to me, he could hear everything that I was thinking. I tasted panic, the dull metallic taste of fear.

"No, no instead...I think I will send them to a Mr. Ronald Weasley. Do you know him?"

Oh my God. Harry might think it was a trap and tread carefully, but Ron...Ron would come running. Harry would run after him and....

"Ah, so you do know him?" He murmered. "Excellent."

He reached for my head and I felt his white fingers trail through my hair. He pulled out the ribbon, the ribbon that Ron himself had given me, and he smiled when my hair fell around my shoulders.

"Do you think that he will come for Christmas?"

I was going to be the death of my friends.

"I think he will."

He raised his wand and a single curl fell into his hand. I watched as the ribbon wound itself around the hair and I watched as Voldemort tucked it into his pocket.

He waved his wand again and I fell to the floor, hands already reaching for me. I was dragged out of the room and as I passed Malfoy I managed to catch his eye.

He watched me leave the room and he did not smile.

And then, pain, and then...darkness.