It Was Never Supposed to Be Easy

The Hero

The room was silent when I was roughly pushed in. I stumbled and began to fall, but the Death Eater who had brought me quickly caught me and shoved me further in. Neville and Ginny were side by side, tied together by a thick rope and gagged into silence.

When they saw me their eyes grew wide and I saw Ginny’s fingers scramble for Neville’s.

Bellatrix Lestrange was bending over the Dark Lord, her thick hair shielding them both, suddenly she let out a strange, high laugh and turned to face the rest of the room.

“Mudblood! How nice of you to join us!”

Out of the corner of my eye I saw a figure raise a hand, and then I saw it drop. I turned to look, Draco Malfoy. He was watching me, his face blank, a hand in his pocket, the other fiddling with his collar. He was thinner than ever and he had deep shadows over one eye, like a bruise.

Like a bruise, someone had been most unkind to Draco, and it looked like it still hurt.

I met his gaze and then slowly turned away. I would not feel pity for the boy that had caused this.

Neville had been freed from his ropes and was now crouched on the floor, his face pink and his breathing unsteady. Ginny was crying, tears pouring down her face. Bellatrix’s laugh echoed around the room.

“Stand up you waste of magic. Stand like your father, or I’ll give you something to cry over!”

Neville shakily rose from the floor and immediately started screaming, his limbs twitching in pain, his face contorted into a mask of terror.

I turned away, only to have my head turned back by the man who still held me.

“You will watch.” He said in my ear. “You will watch them die.”

Ginny was screaming now, her gag not strong enough to silence her any longer, her eyes were on Neville’s twitching form and I realized, she was not under the Curse. She was screaming for Neville. She was watching her friend die, and unlike me, she was not going to go down without a fight. She was flailing underneath the rope’s strong hold. She was throwing herself around, trying to free herself, but the Death Eaters only laughed. Voldemort’s thin lips twitched into a smile.

Then suddenly, Neville stopped screaming, huddled on the carpet he sobbed, his arms wrapped around his body.

“Look at me!” Bellatrix screamed. “Do you see death?” she yelled in his face.

Then, suddenly, Neville was hurling himself at the witch, his arms flailing, hitting any part of her he could reach. He was yelling over and over, words I couldn’t understand and then suddenly, there was blood everywhere.

In Neville’s hand, there was the hilt of what looked like a silver knife.

Blood. On the carpet, on him, on Bellatrix.

Blood.

It was everywhere.

Bellatrix laughed. Neville was screaming, not in agony, no…Neville…Neville…

The Death Eaters were suddenly moving, surrounding the woman and the hero.

Bellatrix’s laugh suddenly died. No, it didn’t die.

She did.

Then, a flash of green and then a thud.

Neville Longbottom was no longer hovering over her body, instead he was next to it.

Dead.

Ginny collapsed and I felt a hand on my robes, pulling me.

“Come with me.” Malfoy whispered. “If you want to live, you’ll come with me.”

I looked at the scene in front of me. I couldn’t leave Ginny.

“Ginny?” I screamed. She looked at me, her hair wild, eyes huge.

Then she was next to me, her bonds finally broken and we were running. We were running, sobbing, and all I could see was the bright red of Bellatrix’s blood and the pale skin of Neville’s cheeks as he lay dead at my feet.

Neville at least, had gotten his revenge.

****************
Bah, that didn't come out like I wanted it too. Anyways, hope you got what I was trying to say.
:)
Cookies to you all.