It Was Never Supposed to Be Easy

The Stairs

Never before had I considered skipping a class. Even when I was taking every class available, I still made every class. I, of course, did not count sleeping through Charms as skipping a class. That was a mistake. Not skipping.
But now, as I sat in the Great Hall, the only one in the room, I honestly considered taking off the entire day. I’m sure that I could scrounge up a Skiving Snack Box from one of these Gryffindor slackers. Actually, I think that Ron has a lovely assortment. I could…no. Skipping class would only get me more work then I already had. I didn’t have the leisure of falling behind. I needed to go to class. Now.
I began to make my way through the maze of chairs and spilled food and already, I could feel a headache starting.

I entered the corridor and began making my way up the stairs when I felt a tug on my bag. Surprised, I turned and was face to face to none other then Malfoy

“Get off of me!” I squealed, pulling my straps out of his long, pale fingers.
Up close to him (this time, less terrified) I actually had the chance to take a real good look at him. I had to admit, as much as I hated him, he was terribly good-looking. He had such high cheekbones and at the same time, such a defined jaw. His hair was always polished and then there was his scent again…I could not describe it. Much like the smell of books, it appealed to me in a way that for some reason, Ron just didn’t have.

Oh God, I’d bet my wand that Ron knew about last night. THAT was what those SNEAKS were talking about. They were talking about how much Ron hated me.

“Well, good morning Hermione” said Malfoy pleasantly. Like we were, friends, or at least we liked each other.
“What do you want?” I said, panicked, I was so afraid that Harry, Ginny, or worse, Ron would appear and see us together. Not that there is an us. Not at all!

“Well, I noticed that you were, well, all alone again…” Malfoy began.
“NOT another word. I am not alone. I am going to class.” I whispered, nearly hysterical. Why was it that I could not keep my head around him?
But Malfoy merely smiled and stepped up so that we on the same step, “Excellent, as was I.” he said. He was so very tall.
I stepped further away and began heading up the steps, nose in the air.

“Don’t you want company?” I heard him ask.
“No.” was all I through over my shoulder.
“But…we’re both going to the same class…” I heard him say somewhere behind me. He didn’t sound any closer…
I walked all the way up the stairs and at the landing I managed to slyly throw a look over my shoulder.
Malfoy was at the bottom of the steps, walking in the opposite direction, going in the completely wrong direction. But that wasn’t what I noticed at first.
What I first noticed was Malfoy walking away from me, hands in pockets, head down.

He looked…human. And vulnerable.

I watched him disappear around the corner and found myself hesitating after him. I would be late for Charms…but, he looked, so UNLIKE Malfoy.
And then I remembered:

Malfoy was scary.
I was late for class.
Malfoy, while APPEARING to be sad, was still scary as hell.
And oh yea, I was late for class.

…………………………………………………………………………………………

I arrived breathless and late to Charms to find Harry and Ron both not looking anywhere near my general direction.
I, not being able to help myself, looked toward the Slytherin side of the room.

Apparently, I wasn’t the only one who had though cutting class was a beautiful idea.

Draco Malfoy was no where to be seen.