A Little Less Sixteen Candles.

One.

'Mands, on your left!' I called, too preoccupied to help her myself. Grab attacker and dodge another, left hook and swift kick, then stake twice.

'I got it!' she shouted back, swinging her leg up to whack the approaching enemy in the face, incapacitating him. I dealt with my own distractions skillfully, running the length of the dark alleyway to join her quickly.

'That was fun!' Amanda squealed, lifting her hand up. I high-fived her enthusiastically, but I faked my exhilaration. Every night we went out I was worried. Scared that maybe one of us wouldn't come back. We were expert fighters, but even we couldn't handle the sudden explosion of the vampire population lately.

And Amanda was so young. She was as skilled as me, but she was only sixteen. My two extra years felt more like a responsibility. Usually I'd take down most of them, leaving her with only one or two to finish. But tonight there was so many that altogether she had to deal with four by herself this night. I was so terrified for her, constantly trying to check on her over my shoulder, that I made a few mistakes - scratches and bruises were more frequent than usual.

'Come on, Mandy. That's enough for tonight. Let's go home,' I insisted, continuing on down the eerie lane. She slung her arm over my shoulder, collapsing onto me, giggling. 'Amanda!' I whispered, scanning the darkness, listening for anything unusual. 'Keep quiet.'

'Oh! Sorry, Christy,' She zipped her finger and thumb along her lips, hiding a burst of laughter behind her hand.

'Just be careful. It's more dangerous than ever right now. We have to keep an eye on-' Footfalls dropped behind me and I froze. 'Aw, shit,' I sighed quietly. We're not going home anytime soon.

'Okay, let's do this!' Amanda called eagerly, spinning on her heel, stake at the ready. Her murmured 'uh-oh' was loud enough only I could hear. It made me so nervous I wish I hadn't heard it. I turned as fast as I could, trying to shake myself out of shock. Amanda usually loved a challenge.

It was then I saw them. Approximately ten figures were standing near or leaning against the wall, half hidden in the shadows. It was silent as we took our stances, prepared for an attack. They continued to silently watch us, seemingly with little interest. Until one stepped forward, posture grander than I'd ever seen on any vampire. 'Hello, Miss Smith,' he smirked, tipping his bowler hat to us.

Both Amanda and I gasped as he spoke. Vampires also rarely spoke to hunters, or wore such rich clothes. As a general rule we were strictly enemies, kill or be killed. And no vampires knew who we were. Even if they were intelligent or social enough to organise themselves in that way, we don't tend to exchange pleasantries before we turn them to dust. Almost every vampire who has seen us has been destroyed by us.

Almost every vampire. This clean shaven civilised group seemed to be the exception to that rule. I quickly noted that the other ten - not nine as I originally counted - vampires were dressed as he was.

'And, of course, sweet little Amanda. How are you this evening, Miss Miller?' I could hear her breath increase as he said her name, wracking her nerves. Neither of us could figure out how they knew. Maybe they followed us. Maybe they found other ways. Vampires could be disconcertingly charming, made to distract and lure you. If for some reason they couldn't use their strength to overpower you, or needed something they couldn't get from sucking you dry.

'She's a Smith,' I hissed almost silently, but I knew he could hear. If he knew this much, he probably knows more. More than she does. She may not be flesh and blood, but she's Smith at heart. Not a Miller, like her own unmentionable parents.

'Miller?' I heard her repeat blankly. I was furious at him for letting her in on the family secret. He has to know she wasn't told. He would die first. But I couldn't take my concentration off the pack in front of us. They didn't usually travel in these numbers. Five, at most.

He continued smirking, his expression amused. 'Mandy,' he began, using my nickname for her, the words smooth in his honey coated voice. 'Did Christina not tell you? She's not your sister at all. Christina isn't who you think she is, Amanda. You aren't who you think you are.'

'What?' she whispered, her voice small. She took half a step forward. I reacted, moving with her, despite the fact there was still several metres between them and us. I knew how fast they could move.

'I can show you. You're a Miller, Amanda. You were adopted when you were three, no memories. Just a innocent little girl.' He sighed, smiling at her sweetly.

'Amanda, you don't want those memories,' I warned. 'We saved you. You are a Smith.' I didn't understand what they were doing. It was almost like they were enticing her. But why?

'Then why did you never tell her, Christy?' He was all wide eyes as he questioned me. I was ready to kick his face in, but I was worried how this battle would go down after this. I could almost feel Amanda's hesitation hanging in the air as she took in his sincere expressions and adorable features. He looked so young.

'Because Amanda knows who she is! We are sisters!' I insisted roughly. I wanted to argue my case more, but this could be a distraction.

'How do you know all this? Who are you?' she questioned cautiously. I didn't have to look to know she wasn't in her protective stance anymore.

'I'm sorry, how terribly rude of me,' he smiled. 'My name is Brendon. And I can tell you all about me, Mandy, and you.' That sounded like a clear invitation to me. I growled in anger. He was hitting on her? 'Patience, Miss Smith,' he grinned. I stared him down but he continued to smile back at me silently.

'And Miss Miller is the one asking the questions, I believe. Do you have any-'

There was suddenly more footfalls, and four more figures appeared from over the wall, lining up in front of us. I was prepared to attack, but they were facing our enemies, their backs turned. The vampires became more alert, stepping forward from their relaxed places. I had almost forgotten about the ten hidden in the background, watching the scene quietly.

The mysterious figures approached them with malice, all going straight for the kill. The vampires were excellent fighters, but they were no match for the new additions to the meeting. They fended off three and took down one before the others dispersed, hissing in anger at the depletion of their group. It seemed the ones that were fighting wore lighter grey coats, while the fleeing vampires wore darker colours. The one who had spoken - Brendon - was wearing a near black. I assumed this was due to ranking.

Amanda and I stood watching as the fight took place, frozen in shock and fear. 'Remember, I can tell you anything you want to know.' That sugar voice was closer than I expected, it sounded almost directly beside Amanda. But they had ran the other way.

'Are you okay?' The strangers had turned around to us once the coast was clear, breathing heavily. 'Are you injured?' he repeated. It was a normal human man, I realised. In the dim light I could just make out his cap donned head. Three others were standing beside him, one with afro style hair, another with a long haircut and the last with a heavy fringe.

'Yeah, we're fine,' I replied. 'They didn't touch us.' I heard Amanda's silent protest.

'You- You know what they are?' he questioned. His companions looked confused, too.

'Yes. We're hunters.'

'Oh. So are we. I'm Patrick, by the way. What happened there?'

'I'm not sure. We were going to try taking them down,' - I ignored Amanda's slow intake release of breath - 'but they began speaking to us. They controlled themselves. Somehow.'

'I see,' he replied. 'Do you know what they were?'

'Vampires...' I said hesitantly. How inexperienced did they think we were?

'No, that particular group. They're a collection of the best of vampires, hand picked or created by the leader,' he explained.

'Who is the leader?' What was this group? An elite? Then how were the light grey suits so easily destroyed? Pawns maybe? Brendon was the darkest colour there; he must be the most gifted in that group. The best fighter.

'William Beckett, an extremely dangerous undead.' His friends were silent during the conversation, but I heard a low hiss at the name.

'And what-'

'Look,' the boy with the fringe interrupted. 'You seem to have lots of questions for us. We have some for you, too. Would you like to go somewhere safer? Our place is near here.'

'How do we know it's safe?'

'We just saved your lives, for one.'

I bit my lip. These people seemed to be much more educated than we were in the matter of vampires. It was too good an offer to pass this up. They could know about the population rise. I walked closer to Amanda, pulling her into my side.

'Okay. We'll come.'
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are appreciated.