Julie & James

The Begining

It was Tuesday the 10th of December, 1991. Julie was sat on Tidal Island, looking out at her town. Her eyes were a light blue color; her hair a light breezy blond – with curls at the end. It was way past her mid back, and swayed gently in the light winter breeze. Her skin was translucent, and her long, delicate nails had a natural French manicure in place. The sun was shining, and she held her face up to the sky to warm herself. She wore a light pink jumper, and blue denim jeans.
She felt as if nothing fulfilled her. She was never overly happy – always in a neutral mood with nothing to want and nothing to need. Her mother and brother were so much older than herself, as her mother was 50 now, and her brother 20. She had only just turned fifteen on July 1st. She spent her week by leaving school at 3pm, staying out until 6pm. She would then come home and have dinner, do her homework and then bathe before bed. Each day was the same routine, and she neither liked nor disliked it.
Whilst she sat on Tidal Island, she reeled through her thoughts, wondering why she felt so indifferent to life at such a young age. She looked up and to her right, and coming into the harbor was a ship. The Navy came in to dock for Christmas.
A young looking man was on the deck, staring out to her with wide green eyes. He smiled slightly, and waved to her. She blushed, pushing her head down to her knees. She looked out to the left, so her right cheek balanced on her knees. He was still looking at her. She laughed, and waved shyly back to him, before leaping up off Tidal Island and running into the greenery behind her.
She sat and giggled to herself, fiddling with her hair and the evergreens surrounding her. She peeked out from the shrubbery, her face nearly beetroot, with a wide grin on her face and looked at the man again. He was still looking at her whilst their ship docked to the harbor. She laughed louder, waving obviously to him. He kept looking at her, waving back.
A minute later, she couldn’t take much more flirting and retreated into the shrubbery again, feeling – for the first time that she could remember – happy. She stood, looking no where in particular, remembering this man that had just entered her life, and made her feel more complete than she ever had felt.
She walked home early, with a huge grin on her face.