Status: Finished!!

What I Go To School For

Take A Chance At Happiness

Image

I changed into jeans and a graphic-T before walking next door to the Jonas' house. I noticed the light in our garage was on which meant my had come home last night, but why didn't she wake me up? I mean I did have a half naked boy sleeping next to me. I'd probably get yelled at later but for now I just had to focus on Joe and Kevin. They didn't look to happy when they left my house.

I opened the door to their, I was told to just walk in, I slipped off my shoes and put them in the hall closet.

"Anyone home?" I called as I walked towards the basement door, where I assumed Joe and Kevin would be hanging out.

"Down stairs!" Joe yelled.

I walked slowly down the stairs unsure what was going to happen once I faced Joe and Kevin. The sound of loud music reached my ears as I stepped off the last step and the boys came into view. How the heck did they hear me over this music?

"Hey!" I yelled to be heard.

Kevin walked towards the stereo and turned the music down.

"Hey. Sorry Demi gave Joe this new CD and told him to listen to it with the volume all the way up." Kevin said as he sat back down on the couch. "He listened."

"I see." I sat down next to Joe and bumped my shoulder against his. "Hey Joe."

"Hey." He said with no emotion.

"Your mad." I stated noticing his annoyed look.

"Yeah I'm mad." Joe said moving away from me. "You tell my brother you love him, and then the same night your with some other guy!"

He glared at me no hint of the humorous Joe I was used to. I didn't like this side of Joe but I also knew he was only like this when he needed to be. And right now was one of those times he needed to be, or he thought he needed to be.

"Its not what you think." I said quickly.

"Were you not sleeping next to Alec McGinnis? And was he not half naked?" Joe asked.

"Yes but-"

"Then its exactly what it looked like!" Joe said cutting me off.

"Its not!" I said frustrated. "He was in the rain so I invited him inside. He needed dry clothes all I had was a pair of shorts. We were watching a movie and fell asleep. That's all."

"Sure." Joe said not believing me.

"Look you two can figure this out. I have to go." Kevin spoke up for the time. "See you guys later."

Kevin left the room leaving Joe and I in a tension filled silence.

"Please believe me." I finally said.

"Fine." Joe huffed looking away from me.

"Is Nick here?" I asked not wanting to be around an angry Joe any longer.

"Why want to break his heart some more?"

"No. I want to talk to my best friend." I replied with a frown. I left Joe in the basement while I went upstairs to find Nick.

I walked into the kitchen on the way to the stairs that lead to boy's rooms. Kyrsten and Frankie sat at the kitchen table with a bowl of popcorn between them.

"Hey guys." I said smiling at them. "Have you seen Nick?"

"He's in his room." Frankie said.

I left the two to their popcorn and walked up stairs. Nick's door was slightly open the sound of soft singing reached my ears. It was just a soft mumbling sound like he was trying to figure something out. I knocked lightly on the door accidentally pushing the door open.

Nick looked up when the door opened his face void of happiness.

"Hi." I said softly, waving my hand in a friendly way.

Nick set aside the notebook in his hands and pushed his chair back. He stood and walked towards me not saying a word.

"I need to be left alone." He said shutting the door.

"Nick! Please just talk to me." I said on the verge of tears.

"I don't want to talk right now." He said, but he stopped closing the door.

"Please."

Nick sighed and reluctantly reopened the door and stood there expectantly.

"I'm sorry about yesterday."

"What is there to be sorry about? You don't want to be with me. I get that. I understand you want Alec. Don't worry about me I'll move on." Nick said trying, and failing, to keep his voice controlled. "We're still friends, and we can just forget about yesterday."

"But I don't want Alec. What happened yesterday was an accident!" I was sick and tired of having to defend myself. "What I said yesterday, my feelings towards you, was the truth. I do want to be with you but my life is complicated, I don't like bringing those complications into others lives."

Nick looked at me his gaze holding mine. "You can let people in; you don't need to build a wall."

He took my hand in his and pulled me into a tight hug. I took a deep breathe his scent was intoxicating making me never want to let go. I held onto him as he spoke again.

"I know your scared to let me in, but you don't have to be. I won't hurt you."

"Its not me I'm worried about its you." I mumbled.

"Why?"

"There are things I can't tell you and I know you Nick. You want a relationship that is honest, I can't always be honest."

"Just tell me, this is something I can't tell you. I won't force you to tell me or anything." Nick said with a heavy sigh. "I'm not saying I won't be hurt at first but I'll get over it. Everyone has their secrets and you deserve to keep yours."

"OK. Let's do this." I said after a moment of thought.

As much as I wanted to keep my family life a secret I need Nick more. He's the best thing that has happened to me since my dad left two years ago. He's my rock now, the only thing keeping me sane.

"Really?" Nick asked.

Without looking at him I knew he was smiling. Which caused me to smile.

"Yes." I pulled away from Nick slightly to look at him. I had never seen him smile so big, he looked so happy I was glad I'm the cause of his happiness.

He kissed my forehead lovingly as I hugged him tight. We stayed like that until Denise called us down for lunch. Nick held my hand in his as we walked to the kitchen together, huge smiles on both of our faces. We received confused looks from Nick's brothers and my sister but we ignored them as we sat down to eat the sandwiches Denise made.

"What's going on?" Joe asked glancing at how close Nick and I were sitting.

"Nothing." Nick said with a shrug. He brushed his leg against mine silently telling me to go along with him.

Joe narrowed his eyes at us as he tried to figure the truth out.

"Really Joe? Their together!" Frankie exclaimed.

"What?" Joe asked looking at Frankie surprised.

"Wow Joe the eight year old got it before you." Nick said laughing.

I smiled as I watched Joe pout and take an angry bite of his sandwich. Nick and I caught each others eye causing us to both smile.

"Stop that."Joe snapped.

"What?" I asked confused.

"Looking at each other like that. Its gross."

"Gross?" Nick asked.

"Yeah. Its too lovey-dovey." Joe said disgusted.

"Sorry we'll try to refrain from acting like a couple." I said glancing at Nick.

"Yeah sure." He said with a small nod.

Joe looked at us again trying to figure us out. He shook his head before ignoring us and focusing on his sandwich.

"You guys are dating?" Kyrsten asked.

"Yeah." I said looking at Nick to make sure he was actually OK with this.

He smiled again and looked at Kyrsten. "I'm thinking of asking her to be girlfriend, think she'll say yes?" He whispered to Kyrsten but the whole table heard him.

Kyrsten glanced at me, I nodded my head yes. "I think she will. But Nick?"

"Yeah?" He asked.

"Hurt her and I will be forced to chop certain body parts off, got that?" She asked with an innocent smile.

The whole table stared at Kyrsten. Her innocent smile didn't waver as she waited for Nick's response.

"I don't plan on hurting her, and if I do I will beg you to hurt me back." Nick said sincerely.

"Good. I'll remember that." Kyrsten said before turning to a shocked Frankie.

"She will remember you said that." I told nick.

"I'm alright with that." He said laughing.

I caught Joe looking at us anger in his eyes. He doesn't like me, that much is obvious. But would he try to ruin his brothers happiness?
♠ ♠ ♠
I like this one. My original plan was to keep them from being a couple, but my characters like to surprise me. I really liked what Kyrsten said at the end, it is something she would say to a boy I wanted to date. I want to hear your thoughts about this latest twist.

Oh and don't worry all you Alec fans he'll be back soon. ; )

Comment!