Status: Finished!!

What I Go To School For

Part Of The Family

Image

Another month went by without any mishaps. Joe had been avoiding me, much to mine and Nick's pleasure. Nick and I's relationship continued to grow, I could now kiss him without worrying if I was doing it right, and I was happy. My family life was complete other story.

My mom was often gone with her new boyfriend which left me to take of Kyrsten by myself. Nick tried to help me and he knew something was up with my mom, but he never questioned me about any of it. He really was understanding about my life and the things I couldn't tell him.

Nick and I were sitting in his room as we often did when we had nothing else to do. I sat at his computer doing homework while he softly played his guitar.

"I hate homework." I grumbled as I tried for the fifth time to understand the complicated math problem.

"Do you want me to help you?" Nick asked, he didn't stop his constant strum of the guitar.

"No. I got it." I said not wanting any help even if I needed it.

The music stopped playing and Nick was suddenly next to me. He peered down at the paper with my messy hand writing. I tried not to be rude about him helping me but it was hard.

"Just add that to the other side." He said pointing at what I had to do.

"Thanks." I mumbled doing as he instructed and getting the right answer.

"You need to stop being so stubborn." He said, them kissed the top of my head to show he was only joking.

I didn't responded instead I continued to focus on my work. Nick went back to his guitar only this time he added his smooth voice to the mix softly. I finally finished the last problem and very triumphantly shut the book.

"Done!" I exclaimed as I spun around in Nick's computer chair.

"Finally." Nick said matching my enthusiasm. "Now you can help me with this song."

I walked over to the bed and sat across from him near the end of the bed. Nick picked up the speed of his strumming and let his full voice ring out.

"I'm about to get weak in the knees
Fall head over heels, baby
And every other cheesy cliche
Yes, I'm swept off my feet
Oh, my heart skips a beat
But there's really only on thing to say

God damn, your beautiful to me
Your everything yeah that's beautiful
Yes to me
Oh"

Nick looked at me expectantly waiting for me to add my input in the song. I sang the song under my breath as I thought of what the song needed.

"How about this before what you sang." I took a breath then sang. "On the days I can't see your eyes
I don't even want to open mine
On the days I can't see your smile
I'd rather sit and wait the while
For the days you'll be near
'Cause a day without you just isn't fair
See the days I can hear your voice
I'm left without a choice."

Nick smiled at me then sang what I had adding in his part. It sounded pretty good to me but I was the amateur song writer. Nick kept his eyes on me as he sang his lips forming a smile. After he went over what we had he wrote it down in his note book.

"That's amazing." He mumbled. "I can't find the words to explain
You just that much, got me goin' insane
When you speak to me sometimes you'll find
Oh, I stutter my words, i say never mind
'Cause even when you just walk by
Well I look around I to seem occupied
'Cause I'm trying so hard to hide
Yeah, all of these feelings inside."

He wrote more down on the paper singing under his breath the whole time. He played the song from beginning to end three times readjusting the guitar but never changing the lyrics. I loved the song, I would have even if I hadn't had a part in creating it. His voice fit the mood of the song perfectly, but his voice fit any song, and the emotion in it was amazing.

"I love it."

He looked at me and smiled as he continued to play it. Finally he put his pencil down satisfied with the result.

"Its gonna be a chart topper." I commented.

"No. I think this one will be one of those songs I keep to myself." Nick said as he set his guitar next to his bed along with his note book and pencil.

"Why?"

"It means a lot to me." He said with a shrug. "You see its about this girl."

"Oh really?" I asked going along with what he said. "And who is this girl?"

I moved closer to Nick so I could rest my head on his chest. He laid back so that we were both laying down.

"You might know her." He said. "She has the prettiest brown hair that shines in the light." He said as he twirled a piece of my hair around his finger.

"Uh huh."

"And she has the cutest smile. Well when she chooses to smile." He added the last part causing me to blush. "And when she blushes she looks even better then when she's not." He touched my cheek gently with the tips of his fingers.

"Any thing else?"

"Yes. She is not only the most amazingly gorgeous person on the out side but on the inside as well." He whispered into my ear. "She is self less and caring. She tries to be tough but she is a big softy, really."

"Ha right." I said. "This girl sounds amazing."

"She's more then amazing." He rubbed my back as he hummed our song. "I love you."

"I love you." I said back.

****

I sat in my room with the music blaring and a book in my hands. Kyrsten was sitting on my floor with some of her dolls very quietly playing with them. I wasn't paying attention to anything but the book I was very intent on reading. I wouldn't have noticed my mother entering my room had the music not been turned off or my book snatched from my hands.

"What the-" my question was cut short by a hard slap to the face.

"What have I told you about your God damn music!" My mom yelled, the strong smell of booze mixing with her breath.

"I'm sorry." I said quickly as tears sprang to my eyes.

"Damn right your sorry!" She screamed in my face. "Get out!"

I quickly stood up from my bed and grabbed Kyrsten's hand and ran out the door with her. I took us to the Jonas house and hurriedly knocked on the door. Mrs. Jonas opened the door her signature smile already on her ageless face.

"Hello girls." She said opening the door more for us to enter the house.

"Hi," I said trying to sound less desperate. "Is it OK if we stay here tonight?"

Mrs. Jonas was good about not asking questions when I made a request like this. She was the kind of person who helped some one with out knowing the full story.

"Of course." She said. "Frankie is in his room and Nick is in his."

"Thank you." I said and tried to smile. "So much."

Kyrsten ran to Frankie's room while I walked slowly to Nick's room. His door was open and the light was out. When I walked in I was met with the sight of Nick fast a sleep, half his body was under his blanket while the other half hung off his bed. I backed out of the room and decided to go wait for him to wake up. I walked towards the stairs right as the door across from Nick's opened. Joe stepped into the hall but stopped dead when he saw me.

"What are you doing here?" He asked not sounding menacing like he usually sounded.

"I'm staying here tonight." I explained cautiously.

I walked away from Joe before he could say something mean to me. I followed the sound of dishes being washed and entered the kitchen where Mrs. Jonas stood at the sink washing dishes. She smiled at me as I walked closer to her; I took the open spot next to her and rinsed the dishes as she washed them.

"Thank you." She said handing me a dish. "I left these from breakfast. I was to lazy to finish them." She said with a small chuckle.

I didn't say anything as we continued to clean the dishes. I enjoyed being in Mrs. Jonas' company, she made me feel like I had a motherly figure.

"Can I ask you something?" She asked.

I had a feeling she would ask about my mom. I could only stay here for so long with out her wondering why.

"Sure." I said slowly.

"You and your sister have become part of the family the last two months." She began glancing at me. I smiled happy to hear we weren't a burden. "And the two of you have become like daughters to me. So you can understand why I'd feel protective of you, right?"

She brought her hands out of the soapy water and dried them on a towel. She leaned against the counter next to the sink.

"I can." I said. I dried my hands off taking more time then necessary, and waited for what Mrs. Jonas had to say.

"The red mark on your cheek, is that from your mom?"

I looked down at my feet unable to answer. Mrs. Jonas sighed knowing what the answer is.

"Is that why you ask to stay here so often?"

Again I stayed silent waiting for the rest of her questions.

"You don't deserve this."

I was surprised by her anger, it caused me look up and watch what she was going to do. She ran a hand through her hair then stalked out of the room. I was in shock as I heard the front door open, but as soon as it fell shut I knew what was about to happen. I rushed to the door and ran after Mrs. Jonas, she was already at the door.

"Please don't!" I yelled as I crossed into my unkept yard.

"I have to." She said as she knocked on the door.

I stood behind her knowing there was nothing I could do to stop her. The door opened and my mother, wearing an incredibly short dress, answered the door. A cigarette dangled out of her mouth and a fresh drink in her hand.

"Yeah?" She asked rudely. Then she noticed me. "What did you do?"

"She didn't do anything." Mrs. Jonas snapped. "I'm Denise Jonas, from next door."

"Is she bothering you?" My mom asked glaring at me. "I told her she was bugging you."

"No that's not it at all." Mrs. Jonas said her anger rising. "You know what go get your things." She said turning to me.

"What?" I asked confused.

"Go get yous and Kyrsten's things. Just enough for a few days."

I didn't what to think. I looked at my mom who was taking a long drink of her alcohol.

"Who do you think you are?" She asked pointing her cigarette. "She's my daughter."

"You have no right to parent these kids!" Mrs. Jonas yelled. "Go get your things, Bobbi."

I hurried past my mom, or tried to hurry past her, but she caught my arm in her tight grasp. She looked me square in the eye.

"You do as this bitch wants and you can never come back." She spat at me.

"Fine." I said yanking my arm from her.

I ran upstairs to my room and gathered my things then got Kyrsten's things. This was changing our lives forever.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well this story took a turn i never expected! haha i hope you all like it!

song used is God Damn You're Beautiful by Chester See