Wings of Faith

Unwelcome

It's crowded in worship today, as she slips in, trying to fade into the faces. More than usual are attending in spite of the sweltering heat and lack of air condition. The girls' teasing laughter is carrying farther than they know. She lets her hair fall like a curtain over her face and shrinks into the pew.

“Oh my God! Look at her clothes!”

“Yeah, I KNOW! Where did she get them? Salvation Army?”

“In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.” The elderly green and white robed priest raises a strong right hand and makes the sign of the cross over his flock. “The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Sprit be with you all.”

“And also with you.” The crowd choruses in scattered unison, many already stifling yawns and bracing themselves for a dull wasted hour.

“This is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. Happy are those who are called to his supper.” The priest holds the host over the paten. The door quietly creaks open to let a tall thin man slip in. The traveler is far away from home. He sheds his coat and quietly sinks into the back row. The weight of their judgmental glances tells him that his chances are better out on the road.

Rarely did new faces join the little Immaculate Conception Catholic Church’s community. A tiny white haired lady strikes up a tune more spry than her years as the priest and deacon walk down the aisle. The crowd does not give the two men courtesy and many leave as soon as the music plays. The two new attendees remain behind; just barely a man, kneeling, and a homely dressed girl, staring between her well worn brown boots.

“Ah, my children, it brings joy to my heart to see two new additions to my small flock.” The priest approaches them slowly with a big smile. “Will you come again?” A slow smile spreads across the traveler’s face, accented with the dark shadow of three day’s stubble.

“For a bit. If I settle down here.” They both look at the girl, who had remained silent. She shakes her long blonde hair and gets up.

“No, I-I-I made a m-mistake... coming here.” She swipes at her tear-stained face and runs out of the small yellow-sided church.

“You’re community isn’t very welcoming to new comers.” The traveler comments carefully. The priest sighs.

“Jesus paid much too high a price for us to pick and choose who should come.”
♠ ♠ ♠
If you are an avid Christian music listener, I am sure you will recognize the lyrics in this chapter from "If We are the Body" by Casting Crowns. They are a very good band and I recommend them to anyone who hasn't heard them and will listen with an open mind. Comment and Subscribe PLEASE *-*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!