Soul Searching.

You're so low, you're so alone.

Leila's adoption:
I was eleven when my family adopted Leila. My mother, Charlotte, was unable to conceive another child, but she knew she wanted another girl. On our summer vacation to Australia, my parents looked into an adoption agency in Melbourne. They immediately fell in love with a seven year old girl, Leila, who had the biggest blue eyes you could ever imagine. Her father had passed away, and her mother - though financially stable, and clearly hurt by the decision she was making- had to put that adorable young girl up for adoption; she tried her best for seven years, but knew that she couldn't make an acceptable mother. She enjoyed more than just the occasional drink, and had become close friends with a little something we like to call "acid" back in the states.

Long story short, after our three months in Australia, we decided on the adoption and Leila was living with us by Christmas of the following year. Her birthday was January 19th, and mine February 2nd. We were not only relatively close in age, but we also had a close friendship. Though she was still young, Leila and I had this weird sort of connection to each other; we could finish each others' sentences, we knew what each other were thinking, and we could just spend hours talking about life and inspiration.. lots of things. She was very learned for an eight year old, which made me wonder what the real reason behind her being put up for adoption was. After she turned twelve, and myself sixteen, the conversations gained depth. We would talk about the relationship between our parents, how we could sense that something was wrong even before they would fight; it was odd, but it made things a lot easier for us in the long run.
♠ ♠ ♠
"Vaka" - Sigur Rós
(chapter title)