Baby, You Are the Weapon I Choose

Harder to Breathe

“Joseph, can I talk to you?” Kevin asked as in came into my room.

“Don’t you have a job to leave for?” I asked, not really interested in fighting right now. I was deliberating how I was going to go about my job. This was going to talk a while, I was sure. I mean I would have to get this girl to fully trust me with anything, including her father’s life. And if he was in hiding for 5 years, that meant she wasn’t going to give it up easily. I hoped she would fall for the Joe charm.

“Yes, but I still have a little time,” he told me. “And this is really important.”

I sighed. “Fine, what’s up?”

“Joseph, be careful.”

“I’m always careful Kevin,” I rolled my eyes. I really didn’t want to listen to his criticism of me again. It came way too often. And I was too preoccupied to deal with it right now.

“That’s not what I mean,” he said. “Don’t really fall for her.”

“What are you talking about?” I asked impatiently. “I won’t. I’m not stupid.”

He took a deep breath. “You’re going to kill her dad. That’s not exactly a wedding proposal.”

Wow, now I knew Kevin had lost it. “Kevin, I know this is just a job. I’m not going to fall for her. And wedding proposals? What the hell does that have to do with anything?”

He sighed. “I’m just saying Joseph. You don’t want to fall for her. Because in the end, it will hurt you all the more when you kill her father. I know what it’s like. Don’t fall for her.”

“I won’t,” I said. “What do you mean you know what it’s like?”

“Never mind, I have to go,” se sighed, and looked at me for a second before leaving. I pulled my phone out and called Ellen. “Hello,” she said.

“Hey Ellen,” I said. “It’s Joe.”

“Joe, my main man,” she said hyperly. “What can I do for you?”

“Um, I was wondering – “ I paused. I didn’t know how exactly to ask. Anyway I put it, it might sound weird.

“No I am not a unicorn,” she said, trying to comfort me.

I laughed. “Thanks, you just answered my life long question.”

“Thought I might,” she laughed. “So what’s up?”

“I was wondering if I could get um – your assistant Christine’s number?”

“Christine?” Ellen asked. “Oh she’s a beauty. You like her Joe? Want me to play a little matchmaker for you?”

I laughed. “Thanks Ellen, but I think I can handle it. I just spilled coffee on her by accident this morning, so I wanted to pay her back.”

“Okay, well her number is 543-234-0073,” she said. “She’s actually on her way home right now.”

“Perfect,” I said. Now I could ask her to dinner or something. “Thanks a lot Ellen.”

“No problemo,” she said. “See ya.”

She hung up. I took a deep breath and dialed the number Ellen had given me. It rang and rang before finally she picked up. “Hello?” she said.

I froze. How was I supposed to do this Truth was that no matter what I had told Kevin, even if I knew this was just a job, Christine was really cool. And she was beautiful, which just made it even weirder. This was wrong, I knew it. But my mom’s life was in danger. These were the breaks of the business. These were the sacrifices we had to make. Family came first. Always. “Hi, um Christine?”

“Yes?” she asked. “Who’s this?”

“Joe, Joe Jonas,” I said. “I met you today at Ellen’s studio after our interview. I spilled coffee on you.”

“Oh hey,” she said, remembering me. I smirked. At least I wasn’t easy to forget.

“Ellen gave me your number,” I told her. “I wanted to pay you back for today. I honestly did not mean to spill that coffee on you.”

“Oh it’s totally cool,” she said. “Don’t even worry about it.”

“I feel terrible, really,” I said. “Let me talk you out to dinner to make up for it.”

“It was just coffee,” she said, her tone reserved. Okay so obviously she didn’t let people in easily. Time to turn the Joe charm on.

“The thing is, I really haven’t been able to think of anything else,” I said. “I’d really like to make it up to you. Come on, it’ll be fun. Besides, if anything, you get a meal right. Withme, which is an added bonus.”

She laughed. “Alright,” she said. She paused. “But I’m only doing it for the food.”

I could tell she was joking, so I laughed. “Psh, me too. So tonight at 7 then?”

“Okay,” she said.

“Great,” I grinned. I couldn’t help but realize that the grin wasn’t completely fake. “Then it’s a date.”

“It’s a date,” she agreed.

We hung up and I fell back on the bed. I could tell already this might be harder than I thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know this chapter wasn't that great. But I have a really big plan for this story :]
I'm excited! Bahaha I'm excited for everything! This is like my FOURTH update today.
Can you believe it? My sister took my mom to a spa, so we're basically doing nothing right now. And I have AP tests, but I cannot study :[
Haha anyways, so comments/feedback/banners, yes?

Image
Banner by Christine :]