A Shot in the Dark

Winter Never Felt so Cold.

The door slammed. Hopefully keeping the pouring rain, insane neighbors, and dreary February in general out, and the usual warmth of my IKEA filled home in.

The scuffle of my feet on the horribly stained parquet floor was then following my own voice ringing through the two bedroom apartment to signify that I came home. I couldn't have driven fast enough to escape the daily grind. My oh-so-riveting job of copying paper and visiting equal opportunity bastards confined in a cubicle.

I put my scarf, hat, coat, and about all you can think of a guy in his mid twenties wearing in 4 feet of snow with inches piling on. This, yes, meant that I was taking off a some sort of stained clothing that that my roommate caused.

Most would be surprised that my roommate is actually a girl. We’ve been best friends since grade school actually. We have always been close. I don't even think we've ever gotten into an arguement before.

I called her name and knocked on her door. No answer, which was odd. She worked from home and planned to stay home all day.

I lightly turned the door knob. I tried to question her name but it only got half way through. The sight of her now stopped me in my tracks. With a her light glimmering in on the gun and no more in her eyes, I stood there in complete shock. The blood soaked on her favorite sweater was enough to make even a callous villain double over in disgust.

What happened?

It didn’t matter. I should’ve seen what was coming either way.

I picked up the phone on her dresser, dialed 9-1. And stopped. I couldn’t live without her. I couldn’t even bear the thought of not waking up to her soft voice let alone spending the rest of my life with her only as a memory.

Before I knew it, I went over to her and held her hand for the last time. So I can get the courage to do the hardest thing I have and will ever have to do.
And bang.
My last sight was of her and really that's all that mattered in the end.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? Critique? Thanks for reading.