Two Heads Are Better Than One

Chapter Thirteen

Two Heads are Better then One

Part 13: Alternate Reality

Ever since Jack became Santa many things were different around the North Pole. No toys were being made, the elves were forced to deal with spoiled children, and there was nothing anyone could do about it. Voltaire and Bernard were now married, something Jack sort of forced them to do. Jack knew Voltaire too well and knew she would try to stop him so he got all the elves to force them together. Now they lived on the outskirts of the surrounding villages and owned an small bakery.

"How are you this morning?" asked Bernard as he wrapped his arms around her waist with great difficulty seeing how her stomach was quite large due to pregnancy.

"Tired, but all right," said Voltaire as she turned around and gave him a peck on the lips.

"That's good to hear. What are you making?" he asked as she turned back around and continued to stir a pot.

"Oatmeal, I was craving it, there's some hot chocolate in the pitcher over there. Should be hot still," she said and watched him walk over and pour himself a cup. She smiled to herself and grabbed two bowls and put some oatmeal in the bowls and they sat down at the table.

"Soon," said Bernard as he put a hand on her stomach.

"I just don't want him or her working for Jack," said Voltaire as she too put her hand on her stomach.

"No one wants to work for him," sighed Bernard as he took a sip of his hot chocolate.

"I think I might pop in the shop for a bit today."

"Voltaire, you shouldn't."

"If I get tired I'll rest, and it will only be for a few hours. I just want to see how things are holding up."

"All right, but I'm not leaving your side if you do."

They finished their breakfast and got changed and soon made their to the bakery. It was already pretty full of workers and people visiting the Pole. Voltaire got to work and Bernard was by her side helping her all morning. It was later in the day when one human came in and immediately walked right up to Bernard.

"Bernard what has happened here. I thought you of all people would stop Jack from doing this!" he exclaimed.

"Um…who are you?" asked Bernard looking at the man cautiously.

"It's me, the real Santa. Scott Calvin, use to make fun of you and Voltaire saying you were together. Speaking of which where is Voltaire?" asked Scott looking around.

"I don't know who you are sir but I think it would be best if you leave and don’t come near me nor my wife again," said Bernard. Then Voltaire walked, well waddled, up next to Bernard. She had been watching the scene from the back and decided to help Bernard out.

"What is the matter here?" she asked putting a hand on Bernard's shoulder.

"Voltaire, honey, go back to the kitchen I'll take care of this," said Bernard turning to her.

"Voltaire? You're huge! Wait, wife- You're married?!" asked Scott looking back and forth between them.

"Do we know you, sir?" asked Voltaire.

"No we don't. I asked you to leave, please," said Bernard putting a protective arm around Voltaire's shoulders.

"Just tell me where I can find Frost and Curtis," he asked.

"They're at the work shop," said Bernard and he turned around and with Voltaire, walked back into the kitchen.

"That was surely weird," said Voltaire as she supported her stomach and rubbed it a bit.

"How are you feeling? I think we should go back to the house now," said Bernard. Voltaire nodded and they walked back to their house and Voltaire sat down on the couch and propped her feet up.

"It was nice to get out today. I don't feel too tired either," said Voltaire. Bernard came over and sat next to her and she leaned onto his chest.

"That's good," he said and kissed her. She smiled and kissed him back.

"But what was that man going on about?" said Voltaire looking down at her stomach.

"I don't know. Humans can act weird at times, as we already know. Just avoid him and if he becomes a problem we'll inform the authorities," said Bernard as he rubbed her stomach, "he kicked!"

"He?" asked Voltaire glaring up at him who just smiled at her and continued to try and feel another kick. She shook her head and removed his hands.

"Wait I wanted to feel him kick again," said Bernard trying to get Voltaire to sit down again.

"She did, my bladder," was her response as she waddled to the bathroom. Bernard just watched and thought about all that had happened. It was all quite sudden, and it was all thanks to Jack. He was cruel to everyone else but had always been so nice to Voltaire. He had talked to her about that before but she just said they were like siblings, that only worried Bernard further. Never the less, he let it slide and only focused on the issues that were happening at the time: her pregnancy, Jack turning the North Pole completely upside down, and that strange human that showed up today.

"You will never believed what has happened!" yelled Curtis as he burst through the door.

"Curtis, I gave you a key not for you to abuse but for you to help Voltaire if she needed it. Do I need to take it away from you?" asked Bernard standing up and walking over to the elf.

"Your choice, but guess what happened!" said Curtis excited.

"I don't know, Chet threw up on a human again?" asked Bernard clearly not interested.

"No, some human crashed on stage in the middle of Santa's show. He made Santa fly all the way across the stage. It was hilarious!" said Curtis.

"What?! Is Jack okay?" asked Voltaire coming out from the hallway.

"Don't know, didn't stay long enough to find out. But it was priceless," said Curtis.

"I wonder if it was that same man from earlier today?" said Voltaire thinking out loud.

"What man?" asked Curtis turning to her.

"Thank you for the news Curtis, you can leave now. Voltaire needs her rest," said Bernard as he shoved Curtis out the door and slammed it behind him. He then walked over to Voltaire and led her to their bedroom.

"I think it was the same man," said Voltaire as she sat on the bed.

"Well if it was it still has nothing to do with us. Just get some sleep, it was a busy day for you," said Bernard as he gently laid her down and pulled the covers over her.

"Fine, I just hope Jack is all right. What happened sounded brutal," she said and yawned after. Bernard just smiled at her and kissed her good night.
♠ ♠ ♠
So that was a special chapter about how they lived when Jack became Santa (a really scary looking Santa).

It will somewhat come into play again.

Thanks for reading.

-Charlotte