‹ Prequel: Exposed In Lights

The Laws of Man and Nature

Epilogue

Fast forward…

Lily’s first day of school was upon us. Nick and I were all prepared for paparazzi that were already behind gates at the school to capture this ‘moment’ that was impeccably important for the world to see. Lily was very nervous, she wore a cute pink dress and white sandals and had demanded I tie her hair into pigtails.

“Mommy, what if they don’t like me?” She called from the back of the car. She held her book bag close to her chest and played with the curly ends of her blond pigtail.

I turned around in the passenger’s seat and smiled at her lovingly. “Don’t worry about it darling, they’ll love you. And you already know Violet and Ben. You have friends.”

She sighed and looked out the window. I swivelled around in my chair and put on some black wayfarers as Nick turned into the school car park. Lily smiled through the window, showing her toothy grin. She rapidly unplugged herself from the booster seat as the car ground to a halt.

Nick and I climbed out of the car and Nick got Lily out while I threw my bag over my shoulder and shot a smile at the paparazzi and people. It was still shocking to me, even after all this time people still cared enough and were enthusiastic enough that police were needed for security.

Walked in between Nick and I, holding one of our hands each. She smiled for the cameras, gracious as always, and smiled at us too. “Can you walk me into the school?” She asked us, putting her perfect brown orbs into full effect.

“You don’t need to do the eyes Lil, we’ll take you in anyway.” Nick laughed then went to rub her head.

Lily batted his hands away, “No.” She scolded and smoothed down her dress.

I couldn’t help but laugh. She reminded me so much of Nick it was ridiculous. Though she acted like Nick she had some of my traits also, which was nice. She was the perfect mix of Nick and I, she seemed so innocent and angelic. Everyone loved her. But none as much as Nick and I.

As we walked into the school parents looked at us with wide smiles, happy that we’d chosen this school for our child but also that our child was holding our hands unashamed and proud.

Lily was known as the happy child amongst our family and friend. She could brighten any room and put a smile on everyone’s face. She kept Nick and I closer than ever, how could we ever argue with her in our lives? Lily made it so easy to get on with each other. She gave us endless reasons to be in love and priceless memories to cherish; she was a gift from above.

We walked her to the classroom where her teacher and other parents stood watching their children play in the classroom that looked for like a playroom. Bright colours made the room come alive and numerous bean bags cushioned the fall of excited boys who threw their bodies onto them screaming out like pirates. Fake vines dangled from the ceiling adding the atmosphere of a jungle to the room, making everything that is still look like it belonged there. Like a family.

Then I smiled as I saw in the corner of the room small pegs with name tags on. A red one was empty and plainly insight. Above it was a sticker that read ‘Lily Jonas’. That was the moment it all seemed real.

“Hello Mr and Mrs Jonas.” I grinned, that never got old. “And hello to you little Lily. How are we petal?”

“Nervous.” Lily chuckled hugging Nick’s leg.

Nick rubbed her back, comforting her like the amazing father he is. “You have nothing to be nervous about, everyone is friends here. Come on, I’ll show you your peg and introduce you to some other girls?”

Lily nodded with a smile as she bit her lip in a shy fashion. “Bye mommy, bye daddy!” She called waving to us.

“Bye.” I called back taking Nick’s hand in my own. I leaned my head on his shoulder and sighed as we watched our little girl run around with friends she’d made already. “We did good, mate.”

He kissed my forehead and held out his hand, I slapped my hand against his and giggled. We were still teenagers at heart, more like young adults… it was nice that we hadn’t lost touch with being each others best friends through having to grow up so quickly.

But having to grow up was our choice. We wanted to get married and we didn’t mind if I got pregnant. Sure it was a surprise, but we were ready for it.

Flashback… 5 years

I sat on the toilet seat in our home staring at the pregnancy test, not upset but surprised. I didn’t know how he was going to take this. Would he be angry? Ready for this to come… because it was coming.

I’d gone to the doctor just to be sure. And I certainly was five weeks pregnant, inside of me was a baby growing already 1/9 of the way through developing into a baby. A baby. The idea seemed surreal that at twenty-one I was going to have a baby with my husband of two years.

This was how things go though, you get married, start a family. But Nick and I don’t exactly do the things people plan for us.

I checked the clock; 7:30pm. He’d be home from recording around now. I put the cap on the test and put it into the pocket of my jeans then scurried downstairs, still in a daze about the whole thing. I leaned against the counter in the kitchen staring at my currently flat stomach. I just couldn’t imagine having a huge stomach, a baby inside of my womb eating my food… it seemed impossible. This baby wasn’t planned but it certainly wasn’t unwelcome.

I couldn’t even drink alcohol anymore!

“I’m home!” Nick called, slamming the door shut.

I jumped at the sudden noise and cleared my throat, making sure I wasn’t going to croak out the fact I’m pregnant at twenty one. I ran a nervous hand through my hair as he entered the kitchen.

Nick gave me a swift kiss then headed to the fridge, “I am starving, endless vocals today and some piano but it’s all sounding great. What’d you do sweetie?”

I let out a long breath, “Well, I filled up the fridge, went to see Demi, went to the grocery store again, did a pregnancy test, found out it was positive then came and stood down here waiting for you.”

“Wonder…” He stopped what he was doing, closed the fridge and turned around. I smiled at him bashfully, “What did you say?”

“I’m pregnant.” I told him again.

He just stared at me, then my stomach, then to me again. “Pregnant… like a baby?”

I chuckled, “That tends to be how babies come into the world, yes.”

“Pregnant…” He whispered. I looked to him, waiting for the smile to come, for him to be happy like I was. “You’re pregnant. We’re going to be parents.”

“We’re going to be parents.” I confirmed.

Nick looked up with the biggest, happiest, most excited smile ever gracing his beautiful face. His eyes shone with delight and his cheeks bones were prompt because of his smile. Eventually his shoulders dropped and he relaxed into a state of excitement. He ran towards me, scooped me up and spun me around in a long awaited hug. I smiled joyously as he placed me on the floor and gave me a passionate kiss.

He crouched down, his face level with my stomach, then slowly lifted up my shirt to reveal my torso. My shirt was doubled over my chest, holding it there so he could place both of his hands on my stomach.

“Hello baby…” He said to the growing child inside of me. “I’m your daddy.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So, a little flash forward and back. Thanks for commenting, reading, subscribing, it means a lot to me.

Leave me one final comment, thank you.

Then, read my new story. It's Not A Love Song.