Do You Know Your Enemy?

Chapter one.

I wasn't a special girl, gifted or talented.

I was only 16. Still a "little munchkin" in my families eyes.

I lived with my caring, overprotective Mum.

My lazy Father, (Who I never spoke too, simply because he was hardly ever around

or wanting to talk to me.) and my very modest older sister, Emily.

Me and Emily were homeschooled, I didn't think much of it though, it was just life.

Infact, I was almost considered an average Jo.

Atleast..Well, I used to be considered that.

It all started on the 1st of February.

"You seem to be very well put together." The scary morbidly obese looking, almost bold, short man in a green blazer said as he winked at me.

I tried not to squirm in disgust.

He looked at my uncomfortable face and shook out of his glare.

"So what experience do you have?"

"Well.. I used to babysit a kid up the road? Does that count?" I looked around the room and saw shelves of all the 'employee of the month' photos, and decided to sit down opposite him on a grey wheeling chair.

This was like geek fest, I hoped to God I wouldn't get this job, I really wanted to

work at a coffee place for my first job, or even a video store... But Smartymart?

Seriously, as if being accepted as a teenager wasn't hard enough.

I wouldn't have even thought about looking at this job as my last resort, but my

Mum insisted I applied here, and its the only one who accepted my CV and asked
for an Interview.
.. Typical.

"Ah, I see." He got a pen out of his pocket and wrote something down on a sheet of paper infront of him.

"Uh huh. Uh huh. Uh huh." He said in a very agreeable tone, as he ticked something.

"Well, I think we'll here from you very soon Jennifer." He flashed his crooked teeth at me and reached out to shake my hand.

I was surprised at how short the interview was..Maybe I shouldn't have worn this top so low I thought to myself.

"..Great." I shook his warm hand and shivered, breaking away quickly.

"Uh, later." I said as I got up off the chair, ruffled my plum colored hair and walked my way to the door.

"Yes." He scanned me up and down and chuckled to himself. "Later, dude!"

'Oh my God..' I whispered, revolted with his tone as I rushed out the door.

A couple days later I got a phone call saying I got the job, my Mum was over the moon.

She had been looking forward to me getting a job for years, I suppose just so she could
gloat to all her friends that her girls 'All Grown Up.'

I started first thing tomorrow, I guess saturday sleepin's are dead to me now, I sighed deeply to myself.

"Jennifer, your top." Emily mined with her hand lifting her shirt to her neck, as I emptied the tray of chicken drumsticks onto a bowl and put it on the dining room table along with the vegetables and my Dads usual 'diet coke'.

I always made the dinner, my Mum hated doing it and I figured I didn't really mind.

It was sort of like a stress reliever to me.

"Its not even that low." I rolled my eyes, Emily was the one who never wore anything but blue jeans and flannel t-shirts.

"Dinners ready." I called, my Mum and Dad entered the room and took there usual seats at the table.

We all ate in silence for about 5 minutes till my Dad spoke.

"I heard you got a job." He said nodding his head in approval as he reached for some more mashed potato.

"I guess so." I muttered, using my fork to play with the remainders of my dinner.

"Mhm." He chucked. "Very good." And winked at me.

I ignored his wink and got up to rinse my plate.

He never made much sense..

"Off to your room already?" My Mum questioned, I figured I didn't really need to answer.

"Big day tomorrow!" She smiled to herself.

I sighed, heading slowly up the stairs.

From now on I wouldn't just be that weird homeschooler kid, id be that weird homeschooler kid who works at smartymart!

****

BEEP BEEP BEEP

My lime green alarm clock roared at 7'oclock in the morning.

'Shit, here we go.' I muttered in my pillow.

I got up slowly, dreading every moment. One of the main reasons I even wanted a

job was to find a nice guy who'd make me laugh, I mean there's no chance I can

find guys at my school, is there? But there's defiantly no way ill find a guy at

Smartymart! Unless I want to be with someone who thinks Runescape is the shit

and carries pens in his pockets.

I put on my uniform that my Mum had picked up late last night and put on my dresser while

I was asleep, I buttoned up the white blouse, put on some black tights and pulled up the

black knee length skirt, I sighed. Knee length skirts always made me look short and stubby.

it wasn't very attractive but.. I could make it work.

I reached in my draw and pulled out my little sewing kit and quickly hemmed my skirt to a mini skirt.

I guess sewing lessons with Mum finally paid off, I chuckled lightly to myself.

I walked to my mirror, and ruffled my hair. I guess I didn't really need to put make up on today, who would I want to look nice for anyway?

Everyone else was still asleep, I crept down the stairs and went into the kitchen to find

myself some breakfast. I always ate low crab and high protein, I'm not sure why but I'd been

doing it so long that it was just how I rolled. I was considered the "health freak" to everyone I

knew. If I ever ate bread or candy I'd cry myself to sleep for weeks. They call it Orthrexica, obsessed with eating healthy.

I never considered it a disorder though.

I fried myself up an omelet and quickly ate it, chucked on my tattered chuck tailors,

grabbed a set of house keys, my shoulder bag and walked out the door, up the road where the bus stop was.

A group of preppy looking girls were sitting down gossiping about I presume teachers and

the "hotties" in there classes. I decided just to stand and wait instead.

The bus came 5 minutes later, the girls shoved there way ahead of me. I glared at

them, paid the friendly looking bus man took a seat that was empty.

I couldn't help but let my eyes wonder at the people sitting down, across from me a

beautiful girl with the most purest green eyes I had ever seen sat while listening to her ipod,

her wavy black hair pulled up in a pony tail ran down to her shoulders, her make up done

perfectly, I felt quite stupid for not putting on atleast some eyeliner. She looked like a greek

god, I was not one to get envious but when I looked at her every ounce flowed through my mind.

She spotted me looking at her and turned her head towards mine, I blushed and quickly looked away.

I was relieved we had stopped outside smartymart, she was far to pretty for me to look any

longer at her without wanting to get plastic surgery and starve myself to death.

I smiled and thanked and bus driver as I got out.

I stood out in the parking lot and looked at the store for a couple of minutes.

'Oh God.' I whined.

I took a deep breath and made my way inside, the room smelt of cigarettes and old people,

"Disgusting." I mumbled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments please =] thanks for reading