Baby, I'm Bad News.

Baby, I'm Bad News - introduction

"This is the introduction to the story and characters of my new story "Baby, I'm Bad News."
It's a classic tale of a young girl who makes a wish, thinking it won't come true...but Adeleigh's wish does come true - and it backfires.
Will she cope with what she is given, upset about her loss?
Or will she realize this is what she always wanted after all?

Happily Ever After never comes easily, Adeleigh.
Sometimes you run into "bad news" along the way."

- shandi marie.

Name: Adeleigh Govani
(main character)
Appearance: Dark brown hair, Green eyes.
Height: 5'4"
Personality: Upset in the beginning - yet, still amused be the smallest of things in life. She relies on herself to make her smile.
Picture:
Image
Image

Name: Oliver Jehk Giovani
(Adeleigh's twin brother)
Appearance: Dark brown hair, Green eyes.
Height: 6'1"
Personality: Is not so sweet to the new people he meets - but considers it a duty in itself to protect his twin sister. Especially after the death of their mother.
Picture:
Image

Name: Kate Linsley
(Adeleigh's best friend)
Appearance: Long blonde, curly hair, Blue eyes.
Height: 5'7"
Personality: Loves to joke around, but, at the same times, she knows when to be serious and just be a good listener.
Picture:
Image

^^^other characters will be listed later as they are mentioned in the story.
Now on with the story --->

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When my mother was still alive, she would always tell me that everyone had their own super power. At the time, I replied I didn’t have one and secretly made a childish wish to be able to shoot laser beams out of my eyes. Yet, over time I realized what she meant by her words. It was a form of reassurance - how we are all “special” in our own way and have our own talents. My best friend, Kate could name the brand, designer and material of almost all clothing. She was also a whiz at math, helping her in many instances to bargain prices. On another hand, my brother Oli seemed to have a sixth sense when telling if people were lying (which really didn’t help me as a child when I stole his snack packs).

Like my mother said, everyone has a special ability.
So, what is mine, you ask…

I have the ability to get in the worst situations possible. In fact, many people consider it “impossible” how I seem to get into these situations in the first place. I tried to lead the ritualistic way of life, letting everyday play out the same way as the one before. I’d wake up at five o’clock on the dot to avoid my father who stayed in the last room on the left.

Every morning hung in suspense of whether or not my father would open his door and grace me with his presence. Of course, I didn’t want this – for many reasons; I’ll just say that daddy dearest and I didn’t see eye-to-eye on anything.

So, every morning I would tip-toe across the hard wood floor, placing my toes on each patch of light that escaped from the windows and rested on the floor – acting as if it were a game of hopscotch and I could only walk the lighted path.

After I would reach my destination – the bathroom door, I would pause at the picture displayed in the hallway of a family with painted smiles smoothed across their faces. And I knew that they weren’t forced. We were laughing and it was strange to think that at one time, we all laughed in the same note like a choir, instead of screamed at each other in rage.

What happened?
People change. If there was one thing I understood at that point in life, it was to not ever rely on someone to make you happy. You could only trust yourself, and sometimes that wasn’t even the case. And, though, I would like to sit back and complain to you about everything that has changed for the worst…I refuse to let you sit through my vivid explanation. I found, over time, how to make myself happy; how to repair my wounds. I refused to let anyone else in besides who had already claimed their place. I didn’t need anyone else having an advantage over me like he had. The only people I trusted then were my twin brother, Oliver Jehk – as we called Oli, and my best friend, Kate. And even they were concerned about my current attitude toward life. If someone talked to me in class, I would hold my head down and wait till they left me alone. They usually went away without hesitation and I was thankful. I don’t know if they felt sorry for me for what happened, or if some simply picked up on the waves I was sending off and respected me enough to give me my space. I learned to tune it all out. I didn’t want to hear what they had to say. I didn’t want to hear them tell me they were sorry. Sorry was never going to cut it. And I especially didn’t want them to prude in on me with their meddling noses, asking questions and, therefore, recalling all of the memories that I was fighting to suppress.

“Addie!” Someone called breaking the pleasant sound of the shower hitting the currently empty shower bed. My breath caught in my throat as I raced my way from the sink to lock the door.

“Stupid, stupid, stupid.” I muttered to myself, as I was too caught up in my thoughts to lock the bathroom door. I let the lock twirl into my fingers, then, shook the handle lightly to check if I succeeded. My father’s fists banged against the door.

“I heard you lock the door, Addie! You can hear me! I have to use this bathroom. I have work before you. Why don’t you use the other one ever?”

He knew damn well why.
I bit my lip in an attempt to suppress anger. Instead of throwing out insults, two silent tears slid down my cheeks, one after the other. I pushed my palms against my cheeks, wiping the warm, wet substance away as if someone was watching and I needed to regain some dignity.
By now, my father wasn’t yelling at me – but instead with another male voice. My brother called from the hallway telling him to leave me alone. This isn’t what I wanted to happen. And this is why I needed to learn how to tiptoe better.

Giving in to my explosion of emotions, I finally broke and let my body fall limp against the floor. To anyone else the sound of the shower drumming and my brother and father arguing would have driven them into hysterics – clutching their ears in despair.
However, for me, there were so many things left unsaid.
So many memories that I would never forget.
So many thoughts in the head of a small girl…that it all seemed to drown everything else out.

In moments like this, I would become numb and look up at the water flowing out of the showerhead hoping to catch a glimpse of a rainbow. Some glimpse of hope. And I could act as if that rainbow were a shooting star and wish upon it.

I bit my lip again at this thought, and closed my eyes imagining that for once my super power was actually magic and in this moment I could get whatever I wished for.
More tears escaped my eyes involuntary, and I pushed a few loose strands of my long brown hair behind my ears – trying to focus on my rainbow.

“I wish…” I began, but stopped once my voice began to quiver in exhaust. “I wish that I was taken away from this place; and shown to another way of life.”

I said, sighing at how ridiculous the wish sounded.
I wasn’t making any sense.

I gave it one last chance.

“I just wish we were all happy again.”

The feel of heat against my face made my eyes open slightly and I was amazed at the sight in front of me. Light poured in from the small bathroom window and reflected off the moisture in the air caused from the shower – letting a small rainbow streak run across the white tiled wall.

I crawled over to the wall, reaching my hands out and brushing the rainbow with my finger tips. Then, turning my palm over slightly, I let the colored lights run through my fingers as if I could actually feel it. In my mind I made a note that if I could ever touch a rainbow, I was certain it would feel like satin.

“Adeliegh?” I heard a male voice say from the other side of the bathroom door, and I looked towards the door. This time, it was my brother. I looked back towards the wall, and the small rainbow was already gone. The clouds outside covered its light source. I sighed and lifted myself from the ground, feeling childish for even beginning to believe that my wish was going to be granted. It was all too silly. At this I smiled to myself. I was never going to grow up.

“I’ll be out soon.” I answered back as I let the clothes I slept in the night before fall and hit the floor lightly.

Even as I got into the shower, and tried to erase the false hope I had in my wish – I still couldn’t help but wonder …if maybe things were going to change.
I made a decision then. A little hope never did anyone bad.

However, I should’ve known then that a little hope could go a long way.
And as the old saying goes…”be careful what you wish for.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you like it.
I'm going to attempt to get more up later tonight.
Message me with your thoughts. Please and thank you - shandi marie.