Deep Down Cemetery Drive

Thunder

Darkness slowly began to sink over 87 Sunset Lane. The only sound was the tearing sound of paper and the breeze flowing into a window opened slightly enough to squeeze the shreds of old love notes out. In the blackout sat a young boy named Aiden Carli. His shoulder length brown-black hair fell over his eyes as he swung his head towards the window side of his bed. There was a thunder-storm coming and he could feel it. The clouds were slowly edging their way across the sky and the light wind was dying out into nothing. He loved thunder and lightning.

He lay down and started to read a book his grandmother had given him a few years back but he had never started to read. "The dark alley way was suddenly collapsing behind Jon's back. He pulled away his half-conscious friend and ran towards the light at the end" Aiden read aloud from his book. His eyes hurt. He never worried the problem and slowly fell asleep.

His dreams were often vivid accounts of different war scenes. Aiden was always behind the eyes of someone in the story. Sometimes he would be traveling down an old dirt road wearing camouflage service men's gear carrying a rifle of some sort. Other times he would be carrying a long sharp sword wearing very awkward clothes that a fantasy character would be wearing.

This time he was wearing a long black suit and jeans. He saw at the end of the street a man with a very white face staring back at him. The man jumped into the air and Aiden promptly pulled out a black pistol and fired a few shots. The mans trailing robe was ripped apart and blood dripped to the ground and then he was lost in the darkness of the sky.

Suddenly he awoke from his slumber to the sound of the first rumble of thunder. He jumped off his bed and pulled his shoes on. He walked out his bedroom door, around the corner and through his dining room and to the front door.

"Bye mom", Aiden said to his mother who was sitting on the couch skipping through the channels.

"Bye Aiden, Where are you going?" She said staring into his deep blue eyes.
"I'm going over to Lynn and J.R.'s house"
"Do you want a ride?"
Aiden looked out the three large windows and noticed it still wasn't raining, even though a loud boom of thunder cracked through the sky.
"No thanks mom its just down the street and its not raining yet so I'll be fine"
"Okay Aiden have fun, I love you"
"I love you too mom" said Aiden as he turned around and closed the door.

Aiden felt a since of longing for his friends. He hadn't seen them in a few days because they had been away on vacation. It was the first week of summer and both J.R. and Lynn's families go somewhere different for vacation. Aiden's family rarely spent any time on vacations and he spent most of his time playing guitar or writing songs.

He had know J.R. Kohlson since he was in kindergarten. He was his best friend. They had been through everything together since they were five to now when they were both about to turn 14.
J.R. stood for Joesph Robert but he prefers to be called J.R. J.R. is of normal height for his age with dirty blonde hair and glasses. He loves poetry and writes very well and has had it put in magazines after Aiden made him submit it.

Lynn Ashlock on the other hand is quite different. She is very outgoing and loves to talk. She has dark brown hair that is a little past her shoulders. She is also 14 years old but about a half year older than Aiden and J.R. She has beautiful brown eyes. Aiden loves Lynn very much. He met her from a friend named Katie two years ago. J.R. always says that they have one of those "Secret Lover" relationships and always tells Aiden that she loves him as much as he loves her.

Knock Knock! Came the sound off of Lynn's front door. The door slowly opened and Lynn jumped out onto Aiden in a very compassionate hug.
"Oh my god I've missed you so much!" yelled Lynn.
Struggling not to fall over but loving every second of the hug Aiden blurts out, "Yea its been a while. Its been hard not having you around. I was just coming around to see if you and J.R. wanted to hang out today and maybe go see a movie or something"
"Sure let me get my bike and we can head over to J.R.'s.

A slow drizzle starts to pick up as they pull out of Lynn's driveway and head three houses down the street to J.R.'s house, number 59. A small crashing noise followed the knock on the door. Footsteps, very slow footsteps came slowly towards the door. The rain began to pick up. The door creaked open and half of J.R.'s face stuck out.

"Hello my friends" said JR. He often spells his name withouth the periods between the letters.
"Hello" Aiden and Lynn said in union.
"How are those dreams coming along Aiden" JR whispered mockingly just loud enough for Lynn to hear.
"What dreams?" said Lynn oddly concerned.
"Oh it's r-r-r-eally nothing. I've just b-b-b-been having s-s-s-ome weird dreams lately with war s-s-s-scenes and im usually a person in it. But they're nothing bad." Aiden noticed how much he had studdered when he spoke that last sentence and wondered if anyone else noticed

By the look on the faces of his two best friends, he figured they did.

"Honey, why didn't you tell me about this?" Lynn said.
"Because I didn't think it was that important."Aiden said sorrowfully.
"But you know I will be there for you no matter what problems you have and I will alwa-"
Lynn's voice was drowned out by a long explosion. Aiden didn't think anything of the noise because he figured it was just thunder. He looked up and JR to see what he was going to say next. But he did not say anything.

"JR, whats wrong" said Aiden. JR was staring up at the sky and slowly raised a pointed finger over both Aiden and Lynn's heads. Slowly Aiden turned around and realised what the problem was. In the grey,cloud-filled,lightning stuck, sky over the horizon lining the ground on Sunset Lane was a large orange cloud of smoke and fire.

"That's around where the research center is!" excalimed Lynn. They all hopped on their bikes and rode towards the souce of the explosion with the rain,thunder,and lightning falling from the sky on top of them.