Bats, Brits, and Giggles

Stuck With You

It just felt so strange that she wasn't with me. Something was missing as I left my house, waving goodbye to my parents and heading toward the car.

I got into the passenger seat and looked at my left to the driver's seat. Smiling at me was Joey, my neighbor from across the street and also a good friend that Morgan and I hung out with. He moved into the neighborhood a little later than us, being two years older. He had black hair that was an inch past his shoulders and his hair always covered his eyes.

My parents considered him as the one to watch over me in case I did some "crazy antics". He was the only boy that my parents trusted me with and since Morgan wasn't here to watch over me, I was stuck with Joey. I didn't get why they would trust me with someone who did some crazy stuff himself. I couldn't think of a single stunt he hasn't done.

Joey was also into the same music as us. He actually volunteered to take me to the show because he wanted to see the band also. He was wearing a white custom made shirt that said "I Listen to Bring Me the Horizon" in large letters clearly sketched in black sharpy. It was so simple compared to my light blue band t-shirt that contained a vicious-looking polar bear with blood dripping from its mouth and "Bring Me the Horizon" formed from the red liquid. Though I had bought those bright red pants earlier to wear them for the show, I ended up changing into black skinny jeans at the last minute. I wore my favorite combat boots since they were the best thing to wear when going to a show where people were most likely going to step on my feet.

"What?" he frowned when I was silent.

"Nothing," I answered. "Come on, we're not gonna get there by just sitting here."

"Aliya, I've known you ever since I was ten," he smirked. "I know you want Morgan to be here."

"True, but being stuck with you isn't bad," I said. "You're like a brother to me since my parents love you so much."

"So, if I get a girl pregnant, you'll keep it a secret?" he laughed.

I laughed along with him. "Okay, who'd you have sex with this time?"

"I was only joking!"

"So was I," I teased. "It's not my fault you're the sex addict."

"Oh, shut up," he replied and finally started driving.

As we were driving through the streets, stop signs, and lights to get to the highway, I began thinking of Morgan at the Avenged Sevenfold concert. Did she have someone supervising her, too?

My phone vibrated and it was her. Hopefully, we'd be able to communicate throughout our shows.

Hey you there yet? she had sent.

We're getting to the highway. What about you?

I waited a few minutes for her response and Joey's voice broke my attention toward the phone.

"By the way," he began. "I'm not sure if you should go in the mosh pit."

"Why not?" I asked.

"You might die," he responded and nodded his head, trying very hard not to laugh.

I scoffed. "Joey, I said you were my brother. Not my dad."

"Yeah, but if you get raped or hurt, your parents are gonna kill me," he said.

When I rolled my eyes, my phone vibrated again. I looked at the message Morgan had sent, ignoring Joey singing along to his CD that was playing.

Yeah I'm here. The arenas huge and I'm pretty lucky that I got decent seats. I gotta go because I think the shows about to start. Love ya :)

The car came to a stop and I looked up to see bright neon lights that said "The Boardwalk". A few people were outside, smoking cigarettes or chatting up before the show. Joey and I got out and headed inside. The club was a little crowded, but I was able to get to the front.

If only Morgan was here with me I thought. My experience would seem more exciting.

I told Joey that since the show wasn't going to start for another hour, I would be outside because it seemed too hot already with all the bodies.

This really sucked because something that barely happens came and I wasn't with my best friend to enjoy it. Stupid A7X for touring at the same time on the same day. I shouldn't be blaming them and was acting immature, but it was how I felt. I let out a deep sigh, saying the same sentence I said every day, even if I didn't really mean it.

"Fuck my life," I groaned.

"I've had fucked up days, too." a voice nearby responded to my complaint.

I looked to my right where the voice was coming from and my eyes met a guy who looked about my age with brown hair that was long, but not as long as Joey's and a piercing on his lip. He wore a plain white shirt and black jeans with a dark blue hoodie.

"So what's with you?" he asked with an accent that appeared to be British.

"Why do some bands have to tour at the same place on the same day?" I complained. "Stupid Bring Me the Horizon had to be here."

He looked at me awkwardly, but chuckled. "Yeah, they're pretty stupid. What's the problem you're having?"

"My best friend and I were both supposed to be here, but another band that we liked was playing somewhere else near here on the same day. We split up, but I'm regretting it because it's not the same without her," I explained.

"You should probably stop whining and maybe think about what good things will happen," he said. "Besides, you don't seem like the person to frown."

"I kind of agree with what you're saying," I smiled. "I'm Aliya. What's your name?"

"The name's Oli, nice to meet you," he shook my hand and looked at my shirt. "So you're here to check out the band, right?"

I nodded. "They're amazing! I'm glad that I discovered them because the lyrics and voice just blow me away."

"Yeah, it's gonna be an awesome show," he said. "I'll promise you that."

"Hmm, you seem a little confident about the band, don't you?" I joked.

"Well, yeah, because they're interesting," he stuttered a bit. "Anyway, I gotta go meet up with my friends. The show's about to start."

"Wait," I stopped him. "Do you wanna hang out during the show?"

"Sorry, but I can't," he gave me an apologetic look. "But you'll see me later. Trust me, I won't be hard to miss."

Oli began walking away the opposite direction, so I walked back to the club. He confused me a little and I tried to figure out what he meant. Before I opened the door to get inside I heard his voice in the distance.

"Don't forget to smile!"
The first band that was playing was arousing and exciting. I looked over at the mosh pit and saw Joey going crazy, shoving a bunch of people. He winked at me and I laughed because I felt kind of sorry for those people he was pushing because they didn't know what was coming to them.

The songs were catchy and I wished that I knew the words to them because they sounded really good. Some people around me were screaming them out and I kind of learned some of the choruses of a few songs.

Finally, they finished playing and Bring Me the Horizon was the second band about to play. While the equipment was being set up, Joey came back to where I was standing. I looked at his face and my eyes went wide when I noticed he got a black eye.

"Joey, do you know that you-" I was cut off by him.

"Which proves that you'll die," he sighed. "I'll be okay. This is nothing."

Everything was set up and all we had to do was wait for the band to come out and play. I got Joey some ice for his eye while still anticipating for them to come out. Then suddenly the lights dimmed and guitars started to play. People were cheering and screaming, me included. I finally got to see who I was waiting for and once I saw the singer come out, my jaw dropped.

Up on the stage where the light was shining, there was Oli, holding the mic and looking at me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please tell us what you think.