Misery

Chapter Nine

Waking up in Adam’s arms on a game-less Sunday had never felt more wonderful. The sun was shining through the window, making their completely white bedroom practically glow all around them. Adam moaned in his sleep, as he turned toward Catherine and wrapped both of his arms around her. Catherine couldn’t stop the smile that formed on her face.

“Adam,” She whispered, planting a kiss on the corner of his mouth. “Baby, wake up.”

He moaned again, bringing one of his hands up to swat her away. Catherine laughed and placed another kiss on his bare chest. As she did, Adam’s hands suddenly grabbed her and pulled her entire body onto his.

“Adam!” She practically squealed as he leaned up and immediately brought his lips to her neck.

“What?” He mumbled, moving his lips to her collarbone. “We have nothing to do today; might as well stay in bed.”

And Catherine wanted to protest, but she couldn’t. The thought of spending an entire day, or even just part of it, in bed with Adam excited her. How long it had been since they had done that last, she wasn’t sure if they ever even had. He ran his hands through her hair, as the sun was suddenly covered by a layer of clouds, making their room grow darker by the minute.

“Looks like a storm’s coming in,” Adam mused, craning his neck to look at the ceiling to floor window that adorned an entire wall of their high rise loft.

Catherine frowned and snuggled further into Adam, no longer feeling the need to get out of bed; storms made her sleepy and Adam knew this. As she moved into him, the almost sheer white sheet that was wrapped around her body slid off, resting just above her butt, giving Adam a view of her very bare body.

Placing a rough hand on her smooth hip, he pulled her body to his, giving her a soft kiss on the lips. Catherine laughed into the kiss, but let her body relax on top of his strong body.

“I love you,” She mumbled, as the rain started to fall, hitting their window.

Adam smiled up at her, his blue eyes twinkling. “Mm, I love you too,” He told her, sitting up slightly and bringing her with him.

Catherine sat on his lap, facing him, as Adam ran his hands over her back, massaging it. She groaned and let her head fall forward to his chest, just as he put his hands under her arms and lifted her up. When she again landed on his lap, she gasped at the feeling of him inside her, a feeling she was sure she would never get tired of. Wrapping her arms around his neck, she noted the way they fit perfectly together.

The rain fell harder and louder and the sky grew darker, almost as if it was night once again. A loud rumble of thunder made Catherine jump slightly. Adam grinned goofily at her, tightening his grip on her hips as they moved together.

Their breathing sped up as the storm intensified. Adam brought his lips to Catherine’s ear and he smiled when her nails dug into his shoulders. A flash of lightning suddenly illuminated the dark room and Adam took the opportunity to stare into Catherine’s eyes. Her bright green ones stared directly back into his blue ones and the look he saw there, he had never seen another person give. A mixture of love, trust, and understanding flashed before him, and maybe even a little apprehension.

He couldn’t blame her, he knew. He had been nothing more than a terrible boyfriend to her ever since he became a permanent fixture on the main roster. He hadn’t planned on it and his actions increased over time, starting when he was on the road, a kiss there, a one night stand there. Looking back, Adam was ashamed of himself for how he had let his actions continue, starting to cheat even when he was in Chicago.

Putting one of his hands on the back of her neck, he roughly pulled her toward him, crashing his lips onto hers. They moved with each other, still, and when Catherine let out another groan of pleasure as her body shook, Adam knew he had hit her spot. Giving her a few more thrusts, he climaxed himself and the two of them moved to lie down, trying to steady their breaths.

The rain was beginning to stop, as they laid in bed, covered in nothing but a sheet, a thin layer of moisture on their skin.

“Adam,” She said, catching his attention.

“Hm?” He mumbled out, his eyes closed.

“You know how much I love you, right?”

Adam opened his eyes and sat up, looking down at Catherine as she stayed lying.

“I do, but why do you ask?”

“I figure that if you knew how much I love you, you wouldn’t have cheated.”

Adam cringed and turned away from her and he heard her sigh.

“I don’t think you realized how much you hurt me, Adam.”

“I know now, and it hurts me that I did that to you.”

She nodded her head and sat up, wrapping her arms around his waist and resting her chin on his shoulder. When he wrapped his arms around her in return, she couldn’t stop the smile that spread across her face.

She felt like she could lay with him forever and she'd be perfectly content, but as if the universe had other plans for her, her cell rang and the word 'mom' popped up on the screen.

She sighed and excused herself, wrapping the sheet around herself, grabbing her cell phone, and padding her way into the living room. Adam watched her leave and he had to shake his head at himself. He'd known Catherine to be the nicest and most caring person he'd ever met; and it was true. He knew Catherine would do anything for him and he couldn't believe he had been stupid enough to almost lose her.

He had taken advantage of her love, almost as if he thought she'd never leave. He learned just a few weeks ago that she did in fact have a breaking point and he felt sick to know that he was satisfied in his findings, almost if he had been subconciously looking for her breaking point.

He watched her from his spot on their comfortable bed, as she paced around the living room, a sour look on her face he sighed and went out to join her.

''Baby, what's the matter?'' He whispered as she held the phone to her ear.

She waved him off and told her mother she would see her soon. Adam frowned and wrapped his arms around her as she let her head fall to his chest.

''My mom wants me to come home for the big family reunion we always do. She says I owe her because I missed it last year.''

''But I have games,'' Adam sighed, realizing how selfish he sounded.

''I know and I'd rather stay here for them, but my mother's not taking no for an answer.''

''Well,'' Adam sighed. ''I guess you have to go.''

Catherine wrapped her arms around him tightly and he realized why she didn't want to leave; she was afraid. She was afraid that when she left, the old, cheating Adam would take over. He knew she was right to worry. He had barely left her side for the past couple of weeks and they had been absolutely perfect. What would separation do to them?

As if he had read her mind, she let out, ''I'm afraid to leave you, Adam.''

He sighed, pressing a kiss to her forehead, ''I know.''

''Promise you won't hurt me?''

Adam looked back into her green eyes to only see sadness and worry. She looked pathetic staring up at him and his heart almost broke, knowing he had put that look on her face. Almost.

''Catherine,'' He started, the use of her full name startled her. ''You have nothing to worry about. I love you and I don't want to lose you.''

Catherine half smiled up at him and he laughed lightly, rubbing his hands up and down her arms, placing a soft kiss on her lips, trying to reassure her.

And barely three hours later, Catherine was packed and was driving on the expressway, heading toward her home in Madison, Wisconsin. Her mother had called her twice, wondering when she would be arriving. She rolled her eyes each time, but the thing that made her smile was as she drove through Milwaukee, Adam sent her a text message.

Stop worrying. I love you.

But she couldn't stop the uneasy feeling that rose in her stomach.
♠ ♠ ♠
Idk how I feel about this one. Comment?